• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is your equipment on the floor?

Waxx

Major Contributor
I think it started with the heavy high power tube and class A amp that need space to keep cool enough (as they dispensate a lot of heat). My small tube amp already weights a 17kg (37.5lbs), and that is just a 35w amp. If you got amps that go a few hundred watts like that it can fast be to heavy for most furniture to hold and persons to lift. And if you go into the extremes like this 1500w tube amp monoblock (custom made by the owner) it becomes so big that it needs wheels to move...

26198613_10215667191135178_373993372973220746_o.jpg

Amp shown in pic is a 1500w PP tube amp with 807 output tubes designed and build by Paul Axis from Axis Valv-A-Tron, a retro reggae soundsystem out of the UK. It's used to power the subs of his 1960's style soundsystem that is full powered with tube amps. The whole system is designed and build by Paul himself, and he sells smaller versions of this retro style (mostly tube based) stuff he builds. This kind of amps (that he also builds on order for hifi) are just to big and heavy to fit in a rack. The woman next to this amp is his wife (for size reference he said) btw...

But with modern amplifies it's often not that big or heavy or heat dispensiating so it should be in a rack for me. Even my tube amp and class A amps are in a rack, on the bottom shelf, but still in a rack.

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very practical non audiophile reasons. 1. Much easier to mess around with the hardware, switch cables from one amp to the other, switch speakers pairs etc. 2. Easier to dust/clean. 3. Racks are ugly. 4. Closed spaces bad for heat dissipation.

JayGilb

Major Contributor

Andysu

Major Contributor
I think it started with the heavy high power tube and class A amp that need space to keep cool enough (as they dispensate a lot of heat). My small tube amp already weights a 17kg (37.5lbs), and that is just a 35w amp. If you got amps that go a few hundred watts like that it can fast be to heavy for most furniture to hold and persons to lift. And if you go into the extremes like this 1500w tube amp monoblock (custom made by the owner) it becomes so big that it needs wheels to move...

26198613_10215667191135178_373993372973220746_o.jpg

Amp shown in pic is a 1500w PP tube amp with 807 output tubes designed and build by Paul Axis from Axis Valv-A-Tron, a retro reggae soundsystem out of the UK. It's used to power the subs of his 1960's style soundsystem that is full powered with tube amps. The whole system is designed and build by Paul himself, and he sells smaller versions of this retro style (mostly tube based) stuff he builds. This kind of amps (that he also builds on order for hifi) are just to big and heavy to fit in a rack. The woman next to this amp is his wife (for size reference he said) btw...

But with modern amplifies it's often not that big or heavy or heat dispensiating so it should be in a rack for me. Even my tube amp and class A amps are in a rack, on the bottom shelf, but still in a rack.
curious how it works i don't have experience with tubes for audio only CB radio where single tube powers boosts the transmission signal .
i see lots of tubes in the box are they multi channel purpose ?

Waxx

Major Contributor
curious how it works i don't have experience with tubes for audio only CB radio where single tube powers boosts the transmission signal .
i see lots of tubes in the box are they multi channel purpose ?
as far as i understood it (i'm no tube expert neighter) these are push pull pairs set in parrallel that feed a massive transformer to the single output plug that goes to the oldskool wardrobe-style reflex bassbin with 4 vintage Fane bassdrivers in the picture below (next to one of his other amps).

12140685_10154124168292214_3477744776836030676_n.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The title to this thread put me to mind (as many things do) of Calvn and Hobbes.

8dgkoe3tuq381.jpg

In case the connection is (too) abstruse: I would posit that the best answer to the question Why is your equipment on the floor? is Gravity.

The Termite
by Ogden Nash

Some primal termite knocked on wood
And tasted it, and found it good!
And that is why your Cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's some guy who runs a blog with his list of preferred components (runs to single ended triode amps, and ultra efficient speakers). His living room looks like this:

New_System_2.jpg

I know if I spent a couple hundred grand on audio equipment, I definitely would not want my living room looking like that.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My solution, designed and created DIY, 60 kg for each of the MC601 close to the speakers but permanently placed 30 cm from the floor !!
Nice setup, looks very attractive.
BTW, I dig the old Marantz receiver, I think there's a soft place in the hearts of many of us that owned them back in the day. ;)
Amp shown in pic is a 1500w PP tube amp with 807 output tubes designed and build by Paul Axis from Axis Valv-A-Tron,
Must get awful warm inside that box. :eek:

I know if I spent a couple hundred grand on audio equipment, I definitely would not want my living room looking like that.
What's wrong with it?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"What's wrong with it?"

I understand everyone has different tastes, and that room may be tolerable for some people if it delivers the goods sonically, but, for me, I expect my $200k to buy me something performs at the highest level and looks like this instead.

KEF-Ci200QSb-THX_hide.jpeg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"What's wrong with it?"

I understand everyone has different tastes, and that room may be tolerable for some people if it delivers the goods sonically, but, for me, I expect my $200k to buy me something performs at the highest level and looks like this instead.

Not good enough for me; no need for the exposed speakers at that price :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I expect my $200k to buy me something performs at the highest level and looks like this instead.
All that money and that little midget TV.
fugetabotit

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"What's wrong with it?"

Too much glass, you'd be an easy target for a sniper.

I'd get chocolate on those seats too.

The other bloke's room looks more fun.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Too much glass, you'd be an easy target for a sniper.

I'd get chocolate on those seats too.

The other bloke's room looks more fun.
Could you see those chairs after I came in from working on my motorcycle. :p

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"What's wrong with it?"

Agreed.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"What's wrong with it?"

In all seriousness, I find that room way too sterile looking, boring.
But it is simply a magazine picture, I don't believe anyone lives there. There isn't even a single table or cup holder to set a drink down.
Besides neither seat is placed for good imaging,
It's a fake, .fugazi ;)

rollypolly20

I would avoid the floor also. Certainly the speakers any way, as it can affect how they vibrate

Top Bottom