• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is your equipment on the floor?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason audiophiles put their stuff on the floor is because they can't find audiophile grade duct tape to stick it to the ceiling. Which reminds me I need to patent cryogenically frozen duct tape and sell it for $500 bucks a roll.

Ironically they like to elevate their speaker cables *off* the floor made with audiophile grade wood. Reminds me of being a kid and running those bright orange hot wheels tracks all over the basement floor.

On a semi serious note, why do we keep our AV gear Horizontal? One thing I learned in data centers over the years and seeing a lot of expensive stuff over heat and cause data loss is large circuit boards last longer in a vertical position. Why? Convection. All my AV stuff is kept vertical no matter how goofy it looks. I've never had an amp or receiver or separate go bad. Maybe its luck, but all my audio buddies who shove their gear on tight horizontal av shelves end up griping about problems down the road. I wouldn't keep a 2U server housed like that without active cooling.
One Buckeye amp on the vertical.

20220331_222213.jpg
20220331_222213.jpg

Edit-note to self-must dust more often behind tv...

Katji

Major Contributor
One thing I learned in data centers over the years and seeing a lot of expensive stuff over heat and cause data loss is large circuit boards last longer in a vertical position. Why? Convection. All my AV stuff is kept vertical no matter how goofy it looks. I've never had an amp or receiver or separate go bad. Maybe its luck, but all my audio buddies who shove their gear on tight horizontal av shelves end up griping about problems down the road. I wouldn't keep a 2U server housed like that without active cooling.
That is why there are forum threads about which laptop coolers to use, and how to fit computer fans to hi-fi stands.
Turn the page, you find someone saying that they can't have a PA amp because it has a fan.

Nutsfortubes

Why not put it in the hole in the shelf directly behind? Looks like it is made to fit. It would save you stepping over the thing to get to records. I'd also run the speaker cable along the skirting board, to make sure I didn't get my foot caught and come a cropper.

Obviously, people can do what they want, I know it is a fashion of sorts, but there are hazards associated with wires snaking and amps on the floor, especially if people come round or alcohol is involved, more so if there is stuff you/others want to access behind the equipment.
Can’t put it or other tube amps on the shelf too much heat. Not a fashion statement. Also the room is small. So that all I have to say about that.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
I suppose you could mount a couple of PC fans above/behind the amp or put it on top of the shelf- I doubt it makes so much heat that a little air movement wouldn't take the excess away, they did used to use tubes inside consoles after all. The "stuff on the floor" does seem to be a general hi-fi/audiophile fashion.

Do what you want, but I just think stuff on the floor, especially with stuff you need access to behind, is asking for trouble.

Nutsfortubes

As Bruce Lee said “Take what you need and leave the rest.”
I think I’ll go listen to my music not the equipment. While you guys debate nonsense.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
As Bruce Lee said “Take what you need and leave the rest.”
I think I’ll go listen to my music not the equipment. While you guys debate nonsense.
I'm sorry if I've offended you, but that isn't the point. The point is I think stuff way below the eye line, in the middle of the floor + hot glass tubes (potential big ouch there, if you fall) in front of stuff you want to access is a bad idea.

I'd say the same to anyone. It just seems considerate to me.

I think this is further away from "nonsense" than many discussions that go on around here.

Nutsfortubes

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but that isn't the point. The point is I think stuff way below the eye line, in the middle of the floor + hot glass tubes (potential big ouch there, if you fall) in front of stuff you want to access is a bad idea.

I'd say the same to anyone. It just seems considerate to me.

I think this is further away from "nonsense" than many discussions that go on around here.
Sorry not offended I don’t take anything a stranger wrights on a forum seriously. And just for the record I don’t give 2 s$&@s what anyone says about me.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... but why is the question. :p

JSmith
Yes, I agree, honestly, I don’t know, doing it since forever, it feels right to me, no downside in my situation. It is why I am reading the thread, maybe I will find a cue.
Why are we doing many thing we do in our life, at least for me, a lot of it is un rational, if it feels good and has little or no downside, it is fine by me.

JWAmerica

Sorry not offended I don’t take anything a stranger wrights on a forum seriously. And just for the record I don’t give 2 s$&@s what anyone says about me.
You're a tube fanatic on an audio science forum. Why though? You're clearly not interested in what the majority of the users are here for. To simply be contrarian? Seems like belligerent behavior to me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I do have a coupla amps stacked on the floor next to my rack cuz they don't fit in the rack.....mostly I prefer a rack, tho. The silly thing with minimizing distances between amp and speaker, meh

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I do have a coupla amps stacked on the floor next to my rack cuz they don't fit in the rack.....mostly I prefer a rack, tho. The silly thing with minimizing distances between amp and speaker, meh
yeah, the electrons are soooo lazy these days. can't be bothered to travel a few meters...

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Acoustically, placing the electronics low can be quite beneficial. The worst I see is a huge rack with components between the speakers and sometimes even in front. But even when a large and tall rack is placed behind the speakers, it can influence the sound quality with high gain reflections due to a high baffle step from typical modern narrow speakers.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^They won't get it until it happens. Or to someone they know.

wus

There are 2 reasons - and types of audiophiles - that I see:

The first doesn't have a lot of money, so he needs long time to save every penny possible until he can finally afford that expensive equipment, that he then needs to show off immediately so everybody envies him. He can't afford furniture let alone an adequate audiophile rack. And he knows how photos work so even if he has furniture or a stand, he removes everything so that the eye automatically falls on the gear that he is so proud of.

The other type is affluent and is always looking for even better gear, so he buys new stuff often. He does not have the time to build it into stands, or thinks that his previous stand doesn't go well with the look of the new gear.

Top Bottom