• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is Topping D50s more expensive than DX3 pro plus?

fquails

Does anyone know why the Topping D50s DAC is more expensive than the DX3 Pro+? The specs are identical, but the DX3Pro+ has a headphone amp and power source. I have the DX3Pro+, but need another DAC with LDAC for another system and won’t need the amp section. Does the D50s sound better?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know why the Topping D50s DAC is more expensive than the DX3 Pro+?
2019 Vs 2022. Three years apart during Topping managed to get (even) more and more competitive.
Does the D50s sound better?
Nope. Measurements tell us that both would sound absolutely the same.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I had the d50s and it had really nice fit and finish, but didn't sound better than any other DAC I've had in that sinad range. I even tried with a power bank, but it didn't have anything exceptional going for it soundwise.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have both: Got the D50s used for $130 and the only real difference is the $200 DX3 Pro+ is a tad louder on the line-out.

And yeah the DX3 Pro+ (and perhaps the EX5 if you care about balanced outputs) is so good it makes the rest of Topping's line-up look rather bad. I for one certainly won't be spending an extra ~$600 on top end products just for utterly pointless single-digit dB improvements in SINAD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom