• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is there hardly any price competition in hifi?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Why is there hardly any price competition in hifi?"

If you manage to attract a customer...

And he actually buys something from you...

At least in my case, as a previous customer of (possibly) higher end gear, you probably won't see me again for 20 years, so you'd better do the best you can at the moment...

NoMoFoNo

I think it's reasonable to assume that big dollar HiFi is about to take a massive blow as the fallout from the pandemic rains down. I would bet there will be massive discounts coming.

I don't know about Revel, but I've seen Kef offer massive discounts at times, like 40-50% discounts, for a short time.

For example right now, there's these.

https://www.shop.us.kef.com/specials/kef-specials/q150-bookshelf-speaker.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma....25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Why is there hardly any price competition in hifi?"

If you manage to attract a customer...

And he actually buys something from you...

At least in my case, as a previous customer of (possibly) higher end gear, you probably won't see me again for 20 years, so you'd better do the best you can at the moment...

Sure, but hopefully your social network has other big spenders. See how even in this thread people are recommending specific sellers. And maybe the dealer gets lucky and one of those buyers is an addict.

The dealer wants you to be loyal to the dealer, and the manufacturer wants you to be loyal to the manufacturer, and those circles don't necessarily cover each other, which is partly why you have this push-pull over price controls and secret sales.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I prefer to buy locally whenever possible. I will shop an item for pricing, then ask the local dealer if they are able to sell at the researched price plus 10%. It is worth the extra $$ to me to have a local shop. Think... service and advice.

Archsam

I said this already in a previous post, but pricing on products from 'across the pond' tends to push customers to shop 'local', so to speak.

I am looking at Revel speakers for example, which is getting such rave reviews on ASR I am now tempted to try a pair of M126Be. A quick Google search suggested there are very few Revel dealers in the UK (probably can count them all in one hand), prices are the same as in US but in pounds instead of dollars, and it's nearly impossible to find any Revel speakers here second hand or ex demos.

There was a pair of ex demo on sale on eBay yesterday and its already gone...... kind of regret not jumping on it. Then again it's still £2500 so I can't just 'jump' :(

Archsam

That's sort of the point - once VAT and import duty is added the Revel is not as good a deal as it is in America. Their pricing is more levelled with European brands like Kef, Focal, etc, and these brands you do see more sales and in the second hand market.

Top Bottom