• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is the term "warm" such a controversial subject?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I can relate to 'graininess' of a sound better than it's warmth.
Sand in the Vaseline. :eek:

s-l640.jpg

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once I posted something about amplifiers and included the word "warm" to describe the sound of one and had to deal with three or four pages of jokes and mocking. It's ok, people need to have fun. The funniest part however is that one of the first times I've heard this word related to audio was in a video from amir talking about a genelec speaker :D

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is the term 'grain' not a more controversial subject?

I mean, what does it refer to? Golden ears hearing the LSB steps of a digital signal? Seeds spilling out of the bass reflex port?

Just as strange when anyone refers to vinyl having "crackling" sound or "pops" and "ticks." I have no idea what vinyl sound has to do with pork skin, sodas or parasitic insects.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I mean, what does it refer to? Golden ears hearing the LSB steps of a digital signal? Seeds spilling out of the bass reflex port?
Eardrums being sanded by a piece of emory paper? :facepalm:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Eardrums being sanded by a piece of emory paper? :facepalm:
Crappy sounding ab class amps in cheap 1970s receiver folding in chunky style-noise [more black than pink] to odd order distortion products. I think Death Metal was the biggest development to come out of this.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More hand-waving, as I thought. If anyone who thinks this is clear cut would be man enough to offer a definition then we could have a quick round of yays or nays, and put the subject to bed.

I can't imagine what you think would be "put to bed" in that manner.

Individuals have made their views known. Some understand or accept "warm" as an audio term, others still refuse and likely won't be swayed otherwise. A poll would simply reflect what we already see among individuals in this thread. If for instance some majority here refused to accept the term "warm"...what would that mean? That it isn't used, or shouldn't be used in the audio industry, pro sound, or even among audiophiles? What's your end game here?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202204_EarThermo2.jpg

The 3.5mm audio input is on the bottom.o_O
(There must be a formula to convert dB(SPL) to temperature)

clearnfc

OT but just to highlight that the word is also used in tyres!! You might have heard of racers mentioning "graining" for their tyres during a race.

clearnfc

View attachment 201089
The 3.5mm audio input is on the bottom.o_O
(There must be a formula to convert dB(SPL) to temperature)

You need to note that in the oxford dictionary, the word warm means more than just temperature.

Oxford dictionary could be regarded as the definite authority in english. So, whats listed in it is considered official, even in court of law.

Of course, the audio definition of warm is not in the oxford dictionary (most audio terms arent), so its more of a jargon.

clearnfc

Its really amusing that such a small forum with less than 200 active members could have a 13 page thread talking about 1 word...

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I can't imagine what you think would be "put to bed" in that manner.

Individuals have made their views known. Some understand or accept "warm" as an audio term, others still refuse and likely won't be swayed otherwise.

No, that’s a mis-characterisation. Some have expressed that the term means something to them, while others contend that is has no defined meaning in audio (i.e. means something else to everybody) and is therefore problematic (or “controversial” as the thread title puts it). I’d be more than happy to adopt and use terminology that has a defined meaning, but weasel words are counter-productive and only of use to bamboozlers. That’s what makes them controversial.

What's your end game here?

If those who think the term has a meaning can agree on what the meaning is and give a definition then the controversy would be over. We could simply add another figurative meaning of “warm” (relating to sound) to our mental dictionaries and move on. That would be my end game.

But alas, that doesn’t seem likely now, given some of the responses (including yours).

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... weasel words are counter-productive and only of use to bamboozlers ...
I can see the scene in the studio now.

mix engineer: "Sounds a bit flat, let's warm up the mid-bass a bit?"
artist: "Weasel! Bamboozler!! Don't touch that slider until I see the numbers!!!"

[the next day]
artist: "Hey my studio pass doesn't work"
studio manager: "Yeah"

Edit: reduced snark. The point being 'warm' is an accepted term of art, time-saving shorthand, and of use in day-to-day work.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Dial back the personal attacks or I will be forced to dial back your access to this thread. Please and thank you for your understanding.

Top Bottom