• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is the price going up?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What is going on?

Sellers (in this case, the seller isn't Amazon) set their own asking price.

$199 at WalMart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/HD-RADIO...2909554?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=876

I have what is probably a clone of an earlier Sangean, an Auvio. Radio Shack sold them, and I bought one for $50 from some liquidator.

1595523992329.png

There's not much in it:

1595524125977.png

It works well.

Don't know about DX capability since I live about 3 miles from the transmitters I tune to.

Last edited:

Archsam

This is part of Amazon's genius - they automatically adjust a product's price based on demands, calculated using the vast data they have collected from their customers:

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-price-changes-2018-8?r=US&IR=T

On a similar subject, I used to follow this website that tracks the daily price on loads of electronics - it's quite fascinating to see the graphs they generated on a particular product, it's like watching the stock market / weather forecast:

https://skinflint.co.uk/

OP
M

Mosfet

Sellers (in this case, the seller isn't Amazon) set their own asking price.

$199 at WalMart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/HD-RADIO...2909554?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=876

I have what is probably a clone of an earlier Sangean, an Auvio. Radio Shack sold them, and I bought one for $50 from some liquidator.

View attachment 74810

There's not much in it:

View attachment 74811

It works well.

Don't know about DX capability since I live about 3 miles from the transmitters I tune to.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Vasr

Major Contributor
The Pandemic is affecting imports from Asia. PC Power supplies and motherboards for example. Supply chains have been squeezed, transportation has bottlenecks and some tariffs kick in because of the trade war.

Some manufacturers have been affected more than others depending on their inventory stockpile, margins, supply chain, etc and have had to increase prices unless there is direct competition from another that isn't suffering from the same (otherwise they all raise the price like with PC power supplies).

But demand for at-home usable stuff has not gone down, so there is an imbalance.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Heck, you should be able to pick those up via the fillings in your teeth (slope detection of FM, of course)!

:rolleyes:

OP
M

Mosfet

Not much inside for $600.00 especially when the price is way over the Sangean (MSRP).

There can't be any more than $10.00 in parts inside that thing. Good grief.

Attachments

• HDT-20.jpg
    HDT-20.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 150

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Heck, you should be able to pick those up via the fillings in your teeth (slope detection of FM, of course)!

The problem would be tuning them all to the same station.

Know an EE Dentist?

OP
M

Mosfet

Sony made a little HD Tuner.

View attachment 74879

It didn't have digital outs, otherwise a nice little unit.

The chip fab in Thailand(?) supposedly got hit by a flood and they didn't resume production of the guts for the thing, was the story I remember..

Sony XDR-F1HD HD Radio Tuner

They command some varied prices on the used market. Here are some "sold" listiings on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+Tuner&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

I think they were $99 or so when new.

Nice. I've always wanted one. There's a guy out there who 'mods' them and then resells them. He even includes fans inside due to their heat problem.

OP
M

Mosfet

And it just keeps on climbing. Today that audiophile wannabe radio is $682.00 :eek:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder if Amazon works like travel sites , if you visist something intresting that interest you very much the price goes up for you via the usual use off big data etc ?

Archsam

Wonder if Amazon works like travel sites , if you visist something intresting that interest you very much the price goes up for you via the usual use off big data etc ?

See my previous post #3

Vasr

Major Contributor
Amazon does very limited if at all any per person differential pricing (there may be some legal constraints against this espcially if any such algorithms correlate intentionally or not with age/sex/race/etc like what happened with Apple for setting max limits on the card). Most of this targeted pricing is done via selected accounts receiving blanket discounts on categories of products not individual products. It is like the personal pricing discounts grocery stores do but those are limited to discounts, they don't increase the price in a targeted fashion.

I am sure they would love to do it if they can get away with it and the FTC and Consumer protection agencies gets neutered by some administration enough to go full laissez-faire.

OP
M

Mosfet

Yeah, I see the price is back down.

I just hope no one paid $682.00 dollars or whatever it was for it. What a ripoff.

But at $173.00, it's still over priced. There can't be more than $10.00 in parts inside that thing. It's just that they (Sangean) dominate that particular market. There is no competition for home HD radio receivers. No one cares about terrestrial radio anymore.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
From $173 to $713 ???
Maybe the guy putting in the price has dyslexia.

Top Bottom