• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is Steaming Digital Music From Computer to DAC Bad?

cd_baby

Beershaun is right, too many audio companies are selling snake oil that are no better than your computer. Just make sure you don’t skimp on the USB cable to avoid jitter. I find the $799 AudioQuest Diamond USB very satisfying, but it’s amazing transparency is at the expense of color in the midrange and some low end weight.
I'm very new to the forum. Please confirm that this is your send of humour. (And if so, it did make me laugh!).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very new to the forum. Please confirm that this is your send of humour. (And if so, it did make me laugh!).
I'm pretty certain it was humour (but Poe's law applies). If it was not, then it is wrong. USB cables cannot alter the nature of the sound they are carrying.

Hope That Helps :)

Bergante

Thanks. That is helpful. It would be interesting to have Amirm test a computer USB output verses an expensive streamer USB output. The data Arirm creates is so helpful.
Data is data, period.

The only problem you might have is the operating system somewhat messing with the audio data in the digital domain. That's one of the reasons why it's better to use Macos for audio stuff (which has a proper audio subsystem built in) instead of Windows, which needs an external thingy (ASIO) whose integration is not guaranteed by Microsoft.

If you take a Raspberry Pi and you install a ready built software solution such as Volumio you will make sure that the developers have paid close attention to possible audio misconfigurations. Moreover, if you purchase a streamer from Pro-ject, Musical Fidelity and other vendors you are getting a Raspberry Pi with customized Volumio software and, of course, carefully designed analog circuitry (especially power supplies) so that it will be trouble free.

But data is data.

Bergante

For my streamer, for example, I have used a Raspberry Pi 4 (I prefer 5 GHz WiFi), a metal enclosure that cools the CPU passively (that's important!) and the official Raspberry Pi power supply (it's mandatory to provide enough current to the Raspberry).

As a D/A converter I have tried a Zen Air DAC and a MOTU M4. Both work although the MOTU sound is better.

FuzzTone

All you have to do is listen to each system to tell the difference. Or keep playing logic games.
Your choice.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All you have to do is listen to each system to tell the difference. Or keep playing logic games.
Your choice.
That won’t help much as there is no audible difference to be heard.

Whatever you think you might hear is most likely an illusion. Watch this if you are open to it.

FuzzTone

That won’t help much as there is no audible difference to be heard.

Whatever you think you might hear is most likely an illusion. Watch this if you are open to it.

You are entitled to your opinion and your own level of musical enjoyment. For some there are impediments to hearing any differences do to prejudice.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are entitled to your opinion and your own level of musical enjoyment. For some there are impediments to hearing any differences do to prejudice.

Especially when they might not exist.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is certainly true that confirmation bias works both ways. It also true that properly implemented DAC chips don’t really care how the data get there.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do so many people and sales people say streaming from a PC is so bad.
Because they want to sell you more stuff.

FuzzTone

Don't buy cheapskate.
I streamed whole house from a PC for ten years and now it SUCKS.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't buy cheapskate.
I streamed whole house from a PC for ten years and now it SUCKS.
Only now? Not for the whole 10 years?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
1665412865056.png

Because of the steam.

Ok, sorry. Please move on.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But they might.
Oh the humanity.
All you can do is try both ways using controlled listening tests . If you hear no diff., fine.
Fixed that for you

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But they might.
Oh the humanity.
All you can do is try both ways. If you hear no diff., fine.
I did and do and you cannot change that.
No, we cannot change that you heard a difference Just as you cannot change the most likely explanation - which is that the difference you heard didn't exist in the sound waves reaching your ears : except by carrying out a properly controlled, statisticaly valid blind test.

ehabheikal

...thank you for posting this thread...

...I have an old $1000 computer that needs work that is equipped with the "Creative Lab Sound Blaster" audio card that I could probably not distingquish form the Modi 3+ this $200 Chromebook is feeding...

...I was looking for a cheap streaming device to use instead of a computer to receive internet radio and Amazon Unlimited...

...I bought this to see if I can hook it up to my wifi and stream to an Aiyima 07 amp and some old Energy 2.1e's...it looks like I can plug a CD player into it as well...like a little preamp...if it works I migh even buy some of those Elac Debut Refence DBR62 and put the Energy 2.1e's away agian...it would replace a little cheap Sony CD player/radio that is doing a pretty good job as pre amp and tuner...I have CD changer feeding into it...I tried it's USB in but it could not see the Chromebook...

...I do not know if the Grace Link Internet Radio Tuner relevent enough to send in to amirm......is this a thread jack yet...???...

613IyuVXyLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Does the grace link show data of currently playing song on display when using it as chromecast. Also did you try it with roon?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But they might.
Oh the humanity.
All you can do is try both ways. If you hear no diff., fine.
I did and do and you cannot change that.

You're sure you still would be able to tell them apart, if you compared them just based on their sound?

Because you aren't doing that currently.

Top Bottom