• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is not all audio equipment using "balanced"?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
So I just got recently some equipment that uses XLR connections, got some "decent" headphones that I will use with a balanced headphone amp and a balanced cable.

But why are there so many standards to begin with 2.5mm, 3.5mm , 4.4mm etc ?

Wouldn't it be much simpler, better if everything would just be using balanced connections?

Or is there a need for a unbalanced connection type that I'm missing?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
...And there is no (audio) benefit in most situations.

With a balanced headphone connection you can get twice the voltage with a given power supply voltage but unless you're stuck with USB power it's easier to use a higher voltage power supply. Getting enough power/voltage to drive headphones is child's play compared to driving a speaker. ;) And then you've got an oddball connector.

But why are there so many standards to begin with 2.5mm, 3.5mm , 4.4mm etc ?
Regular unbalanced headphone connections ARE standardized as 3.5mm for portable and 1/4-inch for home & pro use. Virtually all other consumer (analog) audio uses RCA or 3.5mm, although the "new" 4-conductor 3.5mm TRRS connector with the additional microphone connection has added confusion.

Virtually all pro equipment uses XLR (with the exception of guitars and headphones).

dfuller

Major Contributor
Unbalanced connections are simpler and cheaper.
And on top of that, they have a long history. I would not be surprised if certain audiophile types are suspicious of balanced signal paths, like they would "degrade soundstage" or some bullshit.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And on top of that, they have a long history. I would not be surprised if certain audiophile types are suspicious of balanced signal paths, like they would "degrade soundstage" or some bullshit.

I don't know about that - I've yet to see one switch to balanced and say they didn't hear an improvement. It's one of the latest fads.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
...And there is no (audio) benefit in most situations.
...the main exception being ground related noise issues which would be solved by balanced interconnects (assuming no pin 1 problems, which even now isn't exactly a given unfortunately.)

Reactions: Qbd

JWAmerica

Is there no benefit to channel separation as there was with twin powered stereo amplifiers?

Paolo

I don't know about that - I've yet to see one switch to balanced and say they didn't hear an improvement. It's one of the latest fads.

I don’t think you can hear any improvement, the only difference should be on the level, or am I wrong?
Also, with sensitive cans your practical user experience may actually degrade since the volume knob can become a weapon to bang your ears.

egellings

Major Contributor
Balanced connection is used in studios or other pro settings where cable lengths may be very long. The noise immunity offered by this kind of connection is needed there due to long cable lengths, which can heighten noise pickup. For a home stereo setup where you'd typically use 3 foot or so unbalanced RCA cables, a balanced connection is not necessary since noise pickup is not an issue, typically. A balanced connection certainly would not hurt, but it won't help much, if at all, either. As for ground loops, they can be avoided by plugging all components into the same outlet using a multiple receptacle outlet box, so long as the outlet has the ampacity to adequately power the equipment. Never use ground lifter adaptor plug attachments to do this, as safety will be compromised. I like the music to be electrifying, but not literally!

levimax

Major Contributor
Is there no benefit to channel separation as there was with twin powered stereo amplifiers?
You really can't directly connect channel separation to "twin powered" or "balanced" or anything else really. Good channel separation results from good engineering throughout the entire design not just any one design feature.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Electronic symmetry versus transformer symmetry, this discussion has escaped to the audiophile.

egellings

Major Contributor
You get galvanic isolation with the transformer approach. That's not so with an electronic approach. So if reducing shock hazard and breaking ground loops are issues, then the transformer approach to achieving a balanced circuit is hard to beat.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think you can hear any improvement, the only difference should be on the level, or am I wrong?
Also, with sensitive cans your practical user experience may actually degrade since the volume knob can become a weapon to bang your ears.
no you're right, unless there's a noise problem to solve. But some people always hear a difference, it's what they do.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's what they claim to do.

well yes it gets to the stage where if you're the one who says he doesn't hear a difference then you're considered not discerning or experienced enough. But my point was that balanced connection is starting to appear on boutique equipment now and some subjective reviewers are marking down kit if it doesn't offer balanced.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get a big subjective bump from XLR. I like the secure, clicking connection, connecting the earth pin first, and lack of exposed metal around the connection point. I've seen more corrosion on RCA-type, as well as poor fit.

And either one can pull your tiny boxes off the shelf - if you have tiny boxes.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

On the contrary, I would be surprised if any audiophile tells me that. Because, its common consensus in the audiophile wolrd that balanced interconnects are better than unbalanced. Its just that its usually used only on higher end equipment. Most mainstream equipment uses RCA connectors instead of XLR.

Top Bottom