• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Is My Speaker Imaging Rubbish?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check the delay settings on your AVR. If both channels are not identical, the result will be an extremely poor phantom center/imaging. This is worth checking even if you believe the problem to be solved.
Yes oh yes. This really matters. You can actually tune your perfect center image through adjusting delay of one side.

Using this to help:

Edit: also I’d like to add that every time you sit you may prefer a particular posture or seating style. It may take you slightly off perfect center. So you can use digital delay to help with centering the image perfectly for a listening session.

A purist may say adjust your posture or move the speakers instead. Can’t do that every time. Would rather let my comfort dictate my posture.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjn

Hexspa

Based on that image, I'd expect poor imaging which depends on symmetry and especially symmetry from your ears forward. Being close to the right wall and to also have a hallway behind that speaker is going to probably pull the image that direction. Take your speakers into a symmetrical space or outside and see how that compares.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd first check to make sure I wasn't playing Rubbish...
Reminds me of a Richard Pryor skit in a Chinese restaurant. “You order shi.. you eat shi..”

On a more serious note I wonder what would happen if he placed a GIK monster bass trap 24x42” along the upward diagonal path of sound from the speaker to the listener. Probably better to be really close to the wall and doing that.

One end supported by the table and the other end by a simple stand of sorts.

Perhaps also one behind the speakers whether near a wall or not.

Nebbermind

Perhaps you should get a couple of stools and experiment.
The evo has a downward firing port and is slotted on all sides. Pretty sure the sound from the port would be reflected on the massive tabletop and interact with the direct sound. The tabletop may also vibrate unnecessarily due the the energy from the port so it is not as rigid as a independent stand

Chaconne

Just my own whacko theory (which, by the way proves true for me): Your computer screen is presenting a psychological barrier, subconsciously preventing you from perceiving image depth. Large unobstructed space behind the speakers improves imaging, especially depth, if only for psychoacoustic reasons. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Top Bottom