• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is Lumin so expensive?

BillG

Major Contributor
It *could* be that Google decides to update the cast protocol to something incompatible to the current state of Chromecast Audio, that’s the major risk, and if that happens then any integration with any phone app will break completely.

Given that there are at least hundreds of millions, if not billions, of devices in active service with Goggle Cast built-in, that would be an incredibly poor business decision on their part - many of these devices no longer receive manufacturer updates, thus freezing their functionality. Such an action might even trigger a class action suit from consumers.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Given that there are at least hundreds of millions, if not billions, of devices in active service with Goggle Cast built-in, that would be an incredibly poor business decision on their part - many of these devices no longer receive manufacturer updates, thus freezing their functionality. Such an action might even trigger a class action suit from consumers.
Doubtful. Then I was talking specifically about Chromecast Audio. Google could change the protocol and update every single device apart from it, and perhaps the first generation Chromecast, and there would be relatively few people impacted, and Google could argue that those devices are too old (they are) and they're not obliged to provide them with updates (they're not), so that's your class action out the window.

Google recently terminated unlimited photo storage, which was a much bigger deal, and nobody said much. Google Plus had 540 million monthly active users and it got terminated without a whimper.

BillG

Major Contributor
Then I was talking specifically about Chromecast Audio. Google could change the protocol and update every single device apart from it

I take it that you don't work in software development, I do.

Google Cast is a single, encompassing protocol maintained in one code base for all the the various dongles and chipsets that support it. The comparison of it with their other unrelated software products is not a valid one.

symphara

I take it that you don't work in software development, I do.

Google Cast is a single, encompassing protocol maintained in one code base for all the the various dongles and chipsets that support it. The comparison of it with their other unrelated software products is not a valid one.
Of course I do. Google Chromecast Audio is not a product family but an individual product, now discontinued. If you think that anyone at Google is maintaining the code base for it you're deluding yourself.

Google News had a huge user base and they wouldn't agree to an intern working on it, once they terminated it. Chromecast Audio doesn't even register on the radar.

If there's any change in the protocol I guarantee you that no push will happen for that product. They won't build the binary. To begin with, nobody's working on it. When they say discontinued, they mean it.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
So what does this do better than a Chromecast audio as Roon endpoint to the Toslink of just about any SMSL, Schiit, or Topping DAC.
Being able to buy one new? :)

BillG

Major Contributor
If you think that anyone at Google is maintaining the code base for it you're deluding yourself.

The only delusion I may have been suffering from was the belief that I might have an interesting conversation with you. I no longer suffer from that, and we'll never speak again... :p

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of which... I'm about to send mine in for the upgrade... $3k + 5 year warranty.
You're a glutton for punishment, are you going to send it to be measured afterwards?

I'm convinced mine sounded better after the upgrade, a highly suspect opinion given they weren't even in the same room at the same time, so no controlled test, but the thought persists.

threni

Major Contributor
Doubtful. Then I was talking specifically about Chromecast Audio. Google could change the protocol and update every single device apart from it, and perhaps the first generation Chromecast, and there would be relatively few people impacted, and Google could argue that those devices are too old (they are) and they're not obliged to provide them with updates (they're not), so that's your class action out the window.

Google recently terminated unlimited photo storage, which was a much bigger deal, and nobody said much. Google Plus had 540 million monthly active users and it got terminated without a whimper.

Google also recently added Google Play Music to the list of services they killed. Hopefully everyone has downloaded and/or migrated their music everywhere in time!

threni

Major Contributor
Google News had a huge user base and they wouldn't agree to an intern working on it, once they terminated it.

Huh? Google News is one of Google's longest running services and they're literally spending billions on it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You're a glutton for punishment, are you going to send it to be measured afterwards?

If something happens to yours, I'll definitely think about it. Isn't there some kind of rotation? ;)

Between the phono capabilities and the remote (and the cats might get serious about plotting my death), I'm not getting rid of it. Figured I might as well go for the upgrade, then just settle in with it for the long haul.

I quite like it. If people get far enough into that thread, they'll see the amp put out some quite respectable numbers when Amir got it back from it's French Holiday.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If something happens to yours, I'll definitely think about it. Isn't there some kind of rotation? ;)

Between the phono capabilities and the remote (and the cats might get serious about plotting my death), I'm not getting rid of it. Figured I might as well go for the upgrade, then just settle in with it for the long haul.

I quite like it. If people get far enough into that thread, they'll see the amp put out some quite respectable numbers when Amir got it back from it's French Holiday.

Plus, it's fun to own things ASR hates on. ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I shan't be considering any other amplifier again.

Massimo

I'm convinced mine sounded better after the upgrade, a highly suspect opinion given they weren't even in the same room at the same time, so no controlled test, but the thought persists.

Are you talking Lumin here?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ah, thanks. Getting confused with all the digressions and did not think that Lumin had phono capability.

Thread drift is a way of life around here...

Can be disconcerting, especially when you have no way to know what anyone is talking about.
I am about to send my Devialet amp in to be upgraded, and since it is the one that failed during Amir's review a while back, it tends to be brought up 'fondly.'. I don't think Amir recalls it very fondly. I like it enough to want to keep it around.

So... Anyway.. back to Lumin. Probably.

Top Bottom