• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is Lumin so expensive?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have two Chromecast Audio dongles and plenty of experience with them. They’re an accurate and an incredibly easy way of adding streaming capabilities to anything with an optical input.

However, leaving Roon aside (which I don’t have), what really annoys me about the Chromecast audio, when used in the Qobuz app for example (Tidal is the same), is the constant disconnection of the control plane. The thing keeps streaming but you cannot control it from the app anymore until you reconnect. The disconnection happens basically every track. This is my experience with the iOS apps.

Another thing is that it can’t do MQA, for whatever that’s worth. And clearly, no DSD either.

If it makes you feel better....

My all-in-one costs 4x what the Lumin T2 costs. So basically the price of a car.

ASR hates it.

And it doesn't do native MQA, either.

So if the CCA is disappointing you, at least its cheap.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never had issues with Spotify. It was wat primarily prevented me from getting a Qobuz subscription for a while. Now with other streamer options it’s usable, yet Spotify still has by far the best user experience in this regard.
iOS or Android? But I agree, Spotify is slick and in my opinion has the best user experience. I prefer the sound quality of Tidal and Qobuz, and Chromecast Audio integration is broken enough to made me simply order this Teac streamer which works perfectly and sounds wonderfully too. Funnily enough, it works with the Lumin app as well. The app isn’t great but I got used to it, and the sound is so good it’s mesmerising (I found out I could rip my SACD collection using my Oppo in a trivial manner, and they sound great).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

My all-in-one costs 4x what the Lumin T2 costs. So basically the price of a car.

ASR hates it.

Speaking of which... I'm about to send mine in for the upgrade... $3k + 5 year warranty.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It’s a discontinued product, Google “memory holes” them. I doubt it will ever happen. I have a very, very close family member who works for them.

I'm not sure what that means...I have 7 of them working and sync'ing just fine. What will never happen?

symphara

I'm not sure what that means...I have 7 of them working and sync'ing just fine. What will never happen?
New features or bug fixes.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
New features or bug fixes.

Since I have no bugs, and need it to do nothing more than it does perfectly now, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Being a Roon guy, it's hard to beat.

symphara

Since I have no bugs, and need it to do nothing more than it does perfectly now, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Being a Roon guy, it's hard to beat.
Then you’re in the best possible situation! I doubt they’ll break it on purpose, since, unlike my Google Glass, it doesn’t rely on some external Google service.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Oh, then I can wait for your report before I do mine!

What are you going to use in the mean time?

I am trying to figure that out now...I may just set up the Luxman pre with the Mitsubishi amp (with the Diatone meters). I think I need some bouncing meters in my life...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Come to ASR, they said. You'll save money, they said......

tenor (8).gif

symphara

ASR hates it.

So if the CCA is disappointing you, at least its cheap.
Why would this make me feel any better? And you know, it’s all relative. The options on my cheaper car are 2.5x your all-in-one...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Then you’re in the best possible situation! I doubt they’ll break it on purpose, since, unlike my Google Glass, it doesn’t rely on some external Google service.

I'm hoping they don't, but never any guarantees... And I'm also holding out a shade of hope that Roon might step in (if possible) to allow functionality within their system. They worked out a pretty slick way to deal with whatever the issues were. Would be a shame for that to just become non-functional, but stranger things have happened. I got most of them when they were 2x$30, so...

symphara

I'm hoping they don't, but never any guarantees... And I'm also holding out a shade of hope that Roon might step in (if possible) to allow functionality within their system. They worked out a pretty slick way to deal with whatever the issues were. Would be a shame for that to just become non-functional, but stranger things have happened. I got most of them when they were 2x$30, so...
I am very confident that you’re safe. Basically your devices (mine too, I have a couple) are frozen in the current state, until they physically break down.

It *could* be that Google decides to update the cast protocol to something incompatible to the current state of Chromecast Audio, that’s the major risk, and if that happens then any integration with any phone app will break completely. But as you say, Roon might keep it working even if it stops being compatible with the Googlecast software libraries. Not being a Roon user, I have no idea.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Think it all depends if they shutter the whole "cast" protocols. I doubt they will given its what they have pushed to get android apps to connect to IoT stuff, certainly on the av side.

symphara

Top Bottom