• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is everyone using USB/XMOS. Why not PCIE SPDIF Out?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Um… none of the DACs do multichannel do they? Sure and AVR will, but that’s not what 90% of this site is about. Or am I missing something?

again...S/PDIF does not pass lossless multichannel.

The connection options for consumers who listen to such audio are:
1) HDMI
2) analog

and possibly some nightmarish frankenstein setup involving pro audio interfaces and USB or ADAT conversion as (3), for Trell ;)

Trell

Major Contributor
again...S/PDIF does not pass lossless multichannel.

The connection options for consumers who listen to such audio are:
1) HDMI
2) analog

and possibly some nightmarish frankenstein setup involving pro audio interfaces and USB or ADAT conversion as (3), for Trell ;)

Now you hurt my feelings! :)

With ADAT the selection of multichannel DACs are much larger.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now you hurt my feelings! :)

With ADAT the selection of multichannel DACs are much larger.

Again, multichannel DACs is not the issue. Every modern AVR has one. The issue is getting multichannel digital audio data to an AVR. Currently HDMI is the only option I know of. If any AVRs also offer mch USB in (and if laptop/desktop USB can do mch audio out), let me know.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use USB for laptop/mobile
Toslink: TV/cd player (I just have stereo system, no AVR)
coax: streamer

Trell

Major Contributor
Again, multichannel DACs is not the issue. Every modern AVR has one. The issue is getting multichannel digital audio data to an AVR. Currently HDMI is the only option I know of. If any AVRs also offer mch USB in (and if laptop/desktop USB can do mch audio out), let me know.

It is relevant because of the limited output options from an AVR or AVP, unless money is no objection.

If the output options suits you, excellent, but don’t generalize your specific use case.

Trell

Major Contributor
LOL. Who knew?

OK, I gather most ASR users (Kal R. excepted) are perfectly happy to stick with 2 channel audio. With maybe bass management/subwoofers thrown in.

I haz a sad. :<

Most audio users don’t care about ASR or any science based audio forum in the first place, so what is your point? An exceedingly small minority complaining that another minority is even smaller than yours? That is just noise.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, because ASR is a minority of audio users, any complaints about ASR user practice -- posted on ASR -- is 'noise'. But other posts here...aren't. Right.

pomfritz

Twelve years ago, I pretty much thought as many people do today: that USB was the answer to our S/PDIF quandaries. In some ways, it is a good deal better. We have Asynchronous Isochronous so the device and host know about sample rates, bit rates, clocking options and a host of other things. But cables make a difference, computer brand and quality make a difference and even the device makes a difference.
https://darko.audio/2016/05/gordon-rankin-on-why-usb-audio-quality-varies/ (2016)

The trouble is, however, that not all DACs have truly good SPDIF or AES inputs. Some DAC designers simply assume that if a computer is doing the playing, the computer will be using its USB port.
The fact of life, however, is that the vast majority of DSD albums or DSD downloads are albums that were mastered in PCM at a very high bit rate.

I can say that after all my tests with the Okto connected to USB or to a RME AES PCie card, I don't care anymore about the USB and DSD mess ;)

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A few thoughts...

First, laptops dominate the market. That's pretty much the end of story right there—the market is going to focus on USB.

As far as USB being "fundamentally poor interface for audio", that hasn't been true for a long time. Recognize that it's the most widely used interface for professional (and semi-pro) grade multichannel digital audio for recording studio applications. (RME claims to handle up to 70 channels in each direction, at 44.1/48.)

I use USB for my Topping DX7 Pro, never had an issue.
Same here, I have an old cambridge DAC (from 2012 I think it is) connected to PC trough USB and never an issue.
Then I use the optical from google chromcast audio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom