• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is audio so angry?

Duckeenie

This phenomena is not unique to audio. Forums by definition attract opinionated people.

To be honest I feel bad for people that after a reasoned debate can't just move on and accept that others, rightly or wrongly may view things differently. Fortunately we have very few people here that behave in that way.

Where's the fire, Boss?

TimF

Forum Donor
"The best," is there a word that does you more disservice? It isn't real even in the Olympics. Likely as not, not one thing in Mr. stevenswall's domain is truly the best. Not in today's product market and with today's cost is no object economy. He lives in the real world, I suspect. Although he may be one of the very privileged of the privileged. What value to have a product optimized for performance at levels you cannot appreciate or utilize--that is an unfortunate pairing. Supercars and ultra exclusive hotels. In any event, it is so easy to confuse music appreciation which requires a degree of attentiveness with the tools of sound reproduction, with the aspect of display and possession, and with satisfaction which always requires accommodation to and acceptance of reality and limits. The more I get involved with equipment and imagined quality hierarchies of performance the less I settle in and appreciate music. Poor me.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
shanecoughlan said:
Why is audio so angry?

Because distortion is too high.
The components are not as transparent as they should be.
And the power cord is only 0.000000001% of the picture.

Blujackaal

This phenomena is not unique to audio. Forums by definition attract opinionated people.

To be honest I feel bad for people that after a reasoned debate can't just move on and accept that others, rightly or wrongly may view things differently. Fortunately we have very few people here that behave in that way.

The ones that bug me is that they know, There whole argument are like swiss cheese but carry on trying win or cry your views are in valid. As if that gonna make anyone take them seriously when they show up. The Reddit headphone sub was horrid for users doing that when a topic they were very opinionated on showed up. Like ignoring that BA, Planar, Estat >>> Dynamic drivers when pushed, Since I've noticed the HD800 and others cheat detail by upping the treble levels. Still lose to a netural to dark non dynamic headphone. Also how Dac or Amps have there own flavours.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Human culture is angry these days. Maybe not every bit of it (I don't bump into many Norwegians, e.g.) but great swaths of it.
Truth be told, I was deeply, deeply skeptical of this site, and I will confess to having poked a lot of not very lighthearted fun at it on some other hifi fora.
But a review of a vintage Yamaha receiver here a little while back drew me over to dip my toes in the water... and, truth be told, even though I am not exactly on the same wavelength as (edit) many of y'all... you're a fun bunch. And, truth be further told, you have been very welcoming of a newbie. Which I appreciate very much (again, truth be told).

:)

Top Bottom