• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why/how are these xlr cables different?

Mkaram

I bought multiple of these "clockable" xlr cables but as I was opening then to adjust their angles I found this one was different.

Most look like this:

PXL_20220827_191230805.jpg

But some are like this:
PXL_20220827_191047255.jpg

Can you see how the shield wire on pin 2 is jumped to the metal frame of the connection?

Which is correct?

OP
M

Mkaram

This is very helpful, thanks!

So, in my case, I think I will remove the wire connecting 1 to the case dice since it's inconsistent with the rest of the cabling and there is no capacitor.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very helpful, thanks!

So, in my case, I think I will remove the wire connecting 1 to the case dice since it's inconsistent with the rest of the cabling and there is no capacitor.
Just a wild guess. Maybe only one plug of each cable is wired like this and the other side isn’t. I mean you never know, what some manufacturers do. Did you check that?

OP
M

Mkaram

Just a wild guess. Maybe only one plug of each cable is wired like this and the other side isn’t. I mean you never know, what some manufacturers do. Did you check that?
I didn't check that since I am only adjusting one connector. I'll check the other side and report back.
However, if I understood the posted article the connection to the case is perhaps not desirable without a capacitor, which is doesn't seem to have

OP
M

Mkaram

To close out this thread (thanks for the education!) I opened the other side of the cables and they do bridge those pins.

So every cable is the same, except that they sometimes bridge pin 2 to case on opposite ends of the cable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To complete the subject. It's sometimes troublesome to connect the cases of equipment directly together, because of what's called ground rise in some industries. An AC current, sometimes a quite substantial one, can then flow on the shield. Grounding one end at least offers a certain amount of shielding for electric fields. The twisted construction of the internal wires and the common mode rejection at the receive end helps reject magnetic fields.

Top Bottom