• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why hi-res streaming in Europe only?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Smaller catchment. Higher density customer base. Economics. Affordability. Political acumen. More discerning or empowered citizens?

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Smaller catchment. Higher density customer base. Economics. Affordability. Political acumen. More discerning or empowered citizens?

One should’ve believed a big home market of one language, one legal structure etc. could give you catchment, economics etc. Many companies want to be present in the U.S. due to the contry’s customer base.

Qobuz is going to the U.S. market in H2 2018. So I wonder why it all started in France, from where they expanded to other European countries.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Good luck if you live outside of the larger cities in countries with large geographic areas of lower population density. :rolleyes: Established players controlling politics is a hurdle for outsiders.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I'm sure it has to do with economics, business, demography, the arts in general, the development of the European culture..
If I want to pursue my 3D immersive vision hobby I need to do business overseas.

The arts and technical advancements in visuals and audition are an European trademark, a seal of sophistication, a labour of love and passion.
It has always been and it keeps illuminating and supporting that great European tradition.
...The arts, the music streams, the paintings, the poets, the 3D movies on Blu-ray, ...all that great classical music jazz.

* Good subject for a good thread, right on!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't realise this. Been a Qobuz subscriber for almost 3 years but don't us it as much as CDs

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I don't know the reason but I sure wanted to use Qobuz, using machine translation to register but then it caught me and said, no, you can't use the service in US. :)

@amirm , do you think U.S. rights holders (record companies) and U.S. law are to blame for your not getting Qobuz access? What I am wondering is; is U.S. law an obstacle for innovation and progress (and more so than European law)?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , do you think U.S. rights holders (record companies) and U.S. law are to blame for your not getting Qobuz access? W
Could definitely be a factor. Traditionally getting music and movie rights in US is far, far harder and more expensive. There are a lot of gatekeepers who have nothing to do but to say NO. Every new business model is thought to be bad until they have no choice but to license.

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Could definitely be a factor. Traditionally getting music and movie rights in US is far, far harder and more expensive. There are a lot of gatekeepers who have nothing to do but to say NO. Every new business model is thought to be bad until they have no choice but to license.

I clicked «like» on your reply though I disliked the content. Thanks for your 2 cents!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I clicked «like» on your reply though I disliked the content. Thanks for your 2 cents!

Would you have, instead, clicked "Dislike", were that choice available?

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Would you have, instead, clicked "Dislike", were that choice available?

Wanted to say I appreciated @amirm ’s reply, but dislike the state of the U.S. legal system.

An economy needs vigour, progressiveness, not building monopolies and artificial barriers to entry. Difficult theme, though.

Should have used emoticon(s) to express myself, maybe? Picture says a thousand words.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As it happens, I got a promo email somewhat related to this topic:

----

Hello, Friends!
Happy Memorial Day friends. Many of you will have a 3 day weekend. We hop you have a lot of time to spend listening to your incredible systems.
Winter5 is over and spring is here! The new coupon code is a 5% discount on your entire order at BlueCoastMusic.com
MEMORIAL5%​
Streaming in DSD is here NOW!
Those of you who follow us know about Primeseat's ability to stream in DSD256. The future is now... so what stops more companies from offering streaming DSD audio? The cost of data and bandwidth is extremely high.
To have unlimited streaming of DSD256 would cost a consumer hundreds of dollars a month for the price of bandwidth and data. To have an ecosystem work needs to allow the customer, creators and platforms a way to have reasonable pricing and revenue to keep it alive.
So who pays? Advertisers? Sponsors? Consumers? No one knows yet. The financial model hasn't been established yet.. but we have some ideas...
Please click on the link below for our survey.

Take our DSD streaming survey and tell us how you feel!
https://goo.gl/forms/UlOh1TmSb2h0husC2
Want to try streaming in DSD?
Try Primeseat and hear Meghan Andrews recorded live at Blue Coast Studios.
https://primeseat.net/en/programs/on-demand/meghan_andrews.html

---

Whatever barriers PCM high-res has for streaming, DSD has it more due to higher bandwidth requirements.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Europe has better rates for internet services. And they have some of the highest speeds on the planet. In Canada it is super expensive, and slow.
Maybe that counts for something about steaming hires music?

Top Bottom