• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why has Audio (and maybe all hobbies) become so hostile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drone/doom

Because it's a borderline cult full of the kind that get angry that a ER4SR is a better deal than a HD800S. While the rest just make up anything to just sound smart like the whole "BA timbre" i see in reviews about IEM's that wouldn't hold in a DBT test.

Eirikur

Hopefully audio will never reach the levels of hostility now endemic in the knitting world
It would be funny if it weren't so endemic in the SJW subculture (another quote from the above):
"In my second article on the subject, published last month, I described how this subcultural farce had descended into a full-blown tragicomedic soap opera, with knitters seeking to destroy one another’s livelihoods because of arguments about whether certain yarn colors might be racist, or whether yarn-related publications profile enough black women."

One could say that audio is benign compared to that! Did I mention I prefer black components over silver?

KozmoNaut

Don't trust anything published by Quillette to be even remotely close to factual. It's a smear rag with a well-documented strong alt-right political lean.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he can handle himself...
I'm sure he can, but it's healthy that on his forum it can be the people who have high post counts who are happy to disagree with him strongly, you don't see that often on the web, all too often the opposite.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't trust anything published by Quillette to be even remotely close to factual. It's a smear rag with a well-documented strong alt-right political lean.
Please, let’s not pollute this forum with Twitter/political axe-grinding.

KozmoNaut

Please, let’s not pollute this forum with Twitter/political axe-grinding.

Source criticism should be standard procedure, rather than being seen as "axe-grinding".

Several links to Quillette were posted, as examples of hostility in subcultures. I felt a disclaimer was appropriate, considering said website's rather lacking approach to fact-checking.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Source criticism should be standard procedure, rather than being seen as "axe-grinding".

Several links to Quillette were posted, as examples of hostilities in subcultures. I felt a disclaimer was appropriate.

You dispute the Instagram posts and press reports? Seems like axe-grinding to me.

KozmoNaut

You dispute the Instagram posts and press reports? Seems like axe-grinding to me.

You seem oddly defensive about this.

I merely pointed out that anything sourced from Quillette needs to be taken with a very large amount of salt.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Several links to Quillette were posted, as examples of hostilities in subcultures. I felt a disclaimer was appropriate.

The source is the person who is saying something, claiming something, etc. There can be subjective overtones based on the publisher that are fair, but these need to be considered separately from the author/claimant. Otherwise, a scientifically sound thesis could be unfairly dismissed because some $hitrag decides to cover it.

The flip side are academic journals, which serve as mediums for further academic debate, etc. Articles often must pass peer review as a precondition of being published in the most respected academic journals. This is a major reason why articles in such journals are rarely dismissed out of turn.

Newspapers etc. are different again because content authors are often employees, who can be subjected to an editorial position.

So analyzing the source is a more important precondition of criticism than dumping on the thesis because some dodgy web site/publisher features it.

KozmoNaut

It's highly important to be critical of the messenger as well. They may quote selectively or leave out facts they do not agree with.

Even if they link to the source, there is no guarantee that they are quoting or representing in good faith.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be funny if it weren't so endemic in the SJW subculture (another quote from the above):
"In my second article on the subject, published last month, I described how this subcultural farce had descended into a full-blown tragicomedic soap opera, with knitters seeking to destroy one another’s livelihoods because of arguments about whether certain yarn colors might be racist, or whether yarn-related publications profile enough black women."

One could say that audio is benign compared to that! Did I mention I prefer black components over silver?

Wow, just wow. Oh, you must be racist for even bringing up the idea of black v silver components. I’m not sure why, but I know it is coded speak.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Again, sorry to the extent I am rambling, but this is something that just constantly sits there in the back of my mind.
Why ask why, it just is. Been the ways of man since the cave days and the invention of the club and rock throwing. LOL

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why ask why, it just is. Been the ways of man since the cave days and the invention of the club and rock throwing. LOL

It was probably more civil then, after all the guy you were telling that his club sucked was holding it.

KozmoNaut

This hobby is full of middle-aged+ men, who as a group has a tendency to be prideful and not take criticism or dissenting opinions well. They're used to being authorities in their fields of interest, and expect other people to listen when they talk.

Cars/motorcycles, boats, home improvement, BBQ, you name it. We talk too much and don't listen enough.

It's a cultural thing, and it's tough to break the mindset.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not read the mqa threads? It's him versus the world in those. That we can forcefully challenge him is a good thing.

If I read correctly, the MQA thread was frozen more than once.

Also Quillette IS a disingenuous, dangerous, garbage site that does indeed promote alt-right stupidity. I wouldn't believe anything I've read there. In fact, I would QUESTION EVERY SINGLE FACT PRESENTED AND OMITTED.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Lets keep politics out of audio. It has enough problems already.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It was probably more civil then, after all the guy you were telling that his club sucked was holding it.
Oh yea. All the keyboard commando's are 6 feet tall and bullet proof.
I've confronted a couple in person and they all wimp-up like little girls then, and I'm in no way a big guy.

gikigill

Because it's a borderline cult full of the kind that get angry that a ER4SR is a better deal than a HD800S. While the rest just make up anything to just sound smart like the whole "BA timbre" i see in reviews about IEM's that wouldn't hold in a DBT test.

I own both and they are different beasts. The ER4SR has great performance and is one IEM that has the lasting power to stay in my collection but can never capture the sound-stage and the bass of the HD800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom