• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why has Audio (and maybe all hobbies) become so hostile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Even those of the intelligent who believe that they have a nostrum are too individualistic to combine with other intelligent men from whom they differ on minor points.

Bertrand Russell
Also called the Dunning–Kruger effect.

¥€$

Making great investments of money and time in a hobby makes people defensive when their choices are questioned.

Last edited:

a2lowvw

I've been lurking on this page for quite some time and just now saw this post. As someone who spent way too much time on car forums in the late 90's and early 00's this place has a very similar vibe. I think it is made up of good people with differing opinions who still treat others with decency and respect. We find value in the scientific aspect and try to make the best decisions given our budget and the information available to us at the time.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yea. All the keyboard commando's are 6 feet tall and bullet proof.
I've confronted a couple in person and they all wimp-up like little girls then, and I'm in no way a big guy.
You look just like David Gilmour and I've heard he's 7 ft tall and weighs 450 lbs (sans Strat).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally get where your coming from with this, and as a fan of Friedman, you are in good company!

As mentioned in my previous post, the problem is that humans just like apes operate on seeking out dopamine and ceratonin (as well as other such as oxytocin).

We generate a lower base level of ceratonin when we rank lower in our social groups. This has lots of effects such as reducing self belief (that's not the exact correct term in this case)

But the problem is who we identify as our social group is evolutionarily limited to a small group of (usually local) interactions.

We can't easily rank ourselves against people and cultures we have no daily exposure to.

This means a countries 'poor' don't logically function to rank themselves as comparitively fortunate.

In short Friedman is logical to a fault. The apes that talk are collectively not.

You only have to look at social behaviours like mass hysteria, cults and evangelical exorcisms to see we function on social levels as much if not more by our genes as we do by out frontal cortex.

That's partly why this forum is so great! Amir works very hard against the forces of apes gone past.
Do u mean serotonin?

Benedium

Forum Donor
I feel there is a correlation between hostility and competition. This is nature's way as well. Survival of the fittest and all that.

But I think we no longer need to be like this anymore. We can transcend the ways of nature. With our knowledge and technology, humans can change the rules of the game, control populations, ignore/avoid triggering emotions and instincts. We could live in a VR world so there would be less friction between people. Marriage and Religions can be abolished. We could live in a sci-fi futuristic world where individualism would be a thing of the past.

Katji

Major Contributor
Some correlation with audiophilery.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
With our knowledge and technology, humans can change the rules of the game, control populations, ignore/avoid triggering emotions and instincts.

Makes me want to watch Cubic/Equilibrium again. Gun kata! :D

The idea is cute, but I think you'll quickly run into problems with the "control" triggering emotions and instincts you hadn't accounted for.

You can't fight the very things that made us the creatures we are. Technology has raced past evolution in a way it wasn't ready for, and there's no way to make it catch up. IMO, if you really want something "better", you should design a new artificial life form scratch. Could cause an existential crisis for all of us though :p

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I feel there is a correlation between hostility and competition. This is nature's way as well. Survival of the fittest and all that.

But I think we no longer need to be like this anymore. We can transcend the ways of nature. With our knowledge and technology, humans can change the rules of the game, control populations, ignore/avoid triggering emotions and instincts. We could live in a VR world so there would be less friction between people. Marriage and Religions can be abolished. We could live in a sci-fi futuristic world where individualism would be a thing of the past.

If you abolished Marriage and Religion, you would create the very thing you wish to destroy. Underground 'cults' would gather popularity in the shadows, and due to the lack of different tribal characters (large proportion of people who score low on openness and agreeableness) you would have a group of 'Heavens Gate' type extremists in no time.

Avoiding conflict is the wrong way to go. You want more meaningful conflict, to burst the 'bubbles' of echo chambers that people are now in. We need the mixed communities we have had for the last 2 million years, which means people need to get used to sitting next to people the disagree with, not sulking off to find someone who always agrees with them so they can all mutually masturbate one another's egos.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1) People don't like to be wrong in general, or proven wrong, so they will get aggressive as a result of their frustration and blame someone (or something) but themselves.

2) Audio is much more money driven than it used to be, people have more money to spend on luxuries (pre-corona times) that much more money is being spend on audio. More money spent = more emotional and mental involvement. People do not want to be faced with the reality that they paid shit ton of money on an inferior product. it builds up even more frustration.

Benedium

Forum Donor
Funny why only audio products have this problem. Why don't we have the same problems for cars or phones? We don't even have the same problem for food.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
We could live in a VR world so there would be less friction between people. Marriage and Religions can be abolished. We could live in a sci-fi futuristic world where individualism would be a thing of the past.

R U Serious? It's been thought of before soma and the feelies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom