• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why don't the usual suspects (Topping, Sabaj, Smsl, Loxije etc) touch the dsp market?

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The question is serious, and is aimed at anyone with sensible hypotheses.
In a market so saturated with dacs of all kinds, where a new photocopied dac comes out every month, all with the same functions, all with the same characteristics, how is it possible that none of the low-cost Chinese companies have set their sights on this market?
A product like the topping E50, but with dsp capability, would probably be bought in bulk by anyone looking for a room corrected dac.
Currently anyone who wants this function integrated in the dac is oriented towards minidsp flex, which is the only product that is quite cheap, complete and with good performance.
Lack of technical ability? Lack of ability to develop matched software? Wouldn't the number of potential interested users justify the development?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

staticV3

Master Contributor
DSP requires writing software and designing GUIs. Plus maintaining that software across multiple OSs.
Topping, Sabaj etc. probably just aren't ready yet to take that step.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If you were one of these suspects and your proposition included external software - would you do it? I know I wouldn't. Even Neumann struggles to get that part right.

I do see viability in a fully self-contained unit though. After more than 20 years, Behringer's DEQ2496 is still a perfectly valid option when you can stay in the digital domain. Would it have had a 2023 quality DAC section, volume control, and look a bit neater, I'd get one for twice its price today.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Talisman

Because there is Neutron Player,
and the smartphone is the perfect place for a DSP.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Interesting. How would I use a smartphone to DSP my TV sound?

Top Bottom