• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why don't DACs have volume pots?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Think I need XLR connections as well. The subwoofer only accepts XLR and monitors only accept XLR, might as well go full balanced connects.
Right. Still spoilt for choice. Don't think too hard . My balanced Schitt Modius in the den has no volume control which in some cases is kinda annoying (but no issues when using Roon as indicated).

fieldcar

My SMSL Su-8s works pretty well going to my JBL 306pmkii's. Digital volume knob and remote are great. The other benefit is that the RCA's can be set to match the XLR's variable output for use with my JBL 550p subwoofer. It doesn't have a proper HP&LP crossover, but I've got it dialed in to fill the JBL's cutoff pretty well.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something like this would go between your DAC and monitors.

Last edited:
OP
strea

strea

My SMSL Su-8s works pretty well going to my JBL 306pmkii's. Digital volume knob and remote are great. The other benefit is that the RCA's can be set to match the XLR's variable output for use with my JBL 550p subwoofer. It doesn't have a proper HP&LP crossover, but I've got it dialed in to fill the JBL's cutoff pretty well.
Nice. I was considering the SMSL SU-9 as it has volume knob, remote, and XLR outputs. Has Amir tested it or are these products considered to be good overall?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your response. Although, as a noob, I'm not sure how this would all connect. The DAC goes USB to the PC, the XLRs go from the DAC -> Subwoofer -> Monitors. Where does the analogue volume control fit into the setup physically? Thank you.
PC (USB) -> (USB) DAC (balanced analogue) -> Balanced Analogue Volume Control -> (Balanced) Monitors.

Personally, I would just buy a DAC with a headphone and pre-amp feature like the Topping EX5. It will work perfectly in your application. It 'remembers' headphone and pre-amp volume independently, so there's no nasty surprises when switching between them.

Alternatively, look at the well measuring USB interfaces by the likes of Motu and Focusrite.

fieldcar

Has Amir tested it

OP
strea

strea

So looks like SMSL SU-9n or Topping E70 would both serve my purpose well. Is there any advantage to one or the other? I do not need MQA or Bluetooth or anything fancy really. Although it would be nice to be able to control bass easily (like a bass knob in a car).. but I understand I can also use Equalizer APO for that.

fieldcar

So looks like SMSL SU-9n or Topping E70 would both serve my purpose well. Is there any advantage to one or the other? I do not need MQA or Bluetooth or anything fancy really. Although it would be nice to be able to control bass easily (like a bass knob in a car).. but I understand I can also use Equalizer APO for that.

They'll all sound the same, but I don't think there is any EQ built in. You'll need to look into something like RME's or minidsp's DAC's for built in EQ.

11603229.jpg

OP
strea

strea

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies, my intention wasn’t to turn this into a what should I buy thread. I was genuinely trying to be educated on why some DACs have volume pot and some dont.

That's what I thought you wanted (you didn't ask for a DAC recommendation). I think you have confused things by using the term 'pot'. A 'pot' implies analogue volume control and why would you do that in a DAC when it's much easier on the digital side (where it's already a feature of the DAC chip). There are plenty of DACs with rotary volume controls, however, these controls are not 'pots', they are rotary encoders that are used to send a signal to the DAC chip to change the digital volume (or other things like menus).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I was genuinely trying to be educated on why some DACs have volume pot and some dont

Berwhale has just beaten me to it, but I've added pictures. :)

When you say a volume pot, do you in fact mean DACs that include a volume control?

To clarify, a volume pot (potentiometer) is a specific thing, it's an analoge variable resister, an electromechanical device, like these:

1676562890882.png
1676562937858.png

Whereas most DACs use a rotary encoder to control the DAC chip or a circuit to adjust the volume electronically.

This is a rotary encoder, it looks sort of similar, but it doesn't effect the signal directly, it kind of works like the volume up and down buttons on a remote control:

1676563235092.png

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thank you for your response. Although, as a noob, I'm not sure how this would all connect. The DAC goes USB to the PC, the XLRs go from the DAC -> Subwoofer -> Monitors. Where does the analogue volume control fit into the setup physically? Thank you.
My two DACs (exaSound and Okto) have volume controls but I prefer to run this to control the volume in the PC:
200211_A_1-1500x1500.jpg

3125b

Major Contributor
The lowest output level for RME is +4dBu which equals 1.228Vrms (0dB volume setting). That's much lower than most balanced DACs, 4Vrms (~14.3dBu) is typical.

Generally though: attenuate the digital signal all you want, the SINAD will still be much higher than what the speakers are capable of reproducing.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Berwhale has just beaten me to it, but I've added pictures. :)

When you say a volume pot, do you in fact mean DACs that include a volume control?

To clarify, a volume pot (potentiometer) is a specific thing, it's an analoge variable resister, an electromechanical device, like these:

View attachment 265211 View attachment 265213

Whereas most DACs use a rotary encoder to control the DAC chip or a circuit to adjust the volume electronically.

This is a rotary encoder, it looks sort of similar, but it doesn't effect the signal directly, it kind of works like the volume up and down buttons on a remote control:

View attachment 265214

And then there's optical rotary encoders. Who remembers mice with balls in :)

1676581724648.png

wwenze

Major Contributor
Probably money

But seriously tho, a good question. On one hand there is the cost issue - A practical application of volume pot after the output will result in high output impedance and hence require another buffer stage to bring the impedance back down. But cost doesn't explain the whole story and something that is needed will need to be added regardless of cost.

Which brings us to the second point - The current meta is that line-level output connections do not require a physical volume control. Like the 3.5mm out from your computer, or your phone, or the RCA from your BD player, and DAC. CD players / walkmen used to have a physical volume control, but my MP3 player from 2002 has switched to digital. And since most audio hosts are already capable of digital volume control on their own and the DAC just needs to do one thing, the addition of another volume control is deemed unnecessary by the meta especially in a use case where most equipment are expected to have a dBFS between 300mV to 2V.

Headphone out on the other hand still warrants a volume control be it digital or analogue, since nobody knows what output level is really needed. Same for speaker amps in a similar vein. And going back to the BD player example, we can see that the necessary volume control is one attached to the output equipment, or something that is your main control hub (e.g. TV, or AVR), while the rest of the chain... not so much. You can always buy a DAC with a volume control and multiple inputs so it becomes your main control hub... which reminds me, we call integrated amps integrated because they come with a volume control with input switching, while power amps don't. So ultimately, the meta decides everything.

Last edited:

unibomber

My two DACs (exaSound and Okto) have volume controls but I prefer to run this to control the volume in the PC:
200211_A_1-1500x1500.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old thread...i have a Joying car headunit with a smsl su1 dac attatched and ive lost my ability to control the volume with the headunit hardware volume when the dac is attatched. Could i use this?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think you just need to evaluate the right set of features you need.

Like I have a dac w/ vol. and a preamp /vol. running to a really odd 'integrated/power amp' - that also has a vol. trim control....

I look back and the sources i used... cd, ld and dvd decks.. do they have vol? no

if you dont need that feature dont buy it.

Further the DAC I'm using right now has a real odd vol. control.

It starts at 00 and goes to -40 - its an attentuator. And further it does not save settings... it has no NVRAM. You lose power you lose all settings.

I would not seriously use this to active control a dumb power amp... lest you have Topping problems.

Top Bottom