• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why don’t mass-market mfrs build affordable pre/pros?

Why don’t the mass market manufactures strip the amps from their AVRs and create affordable preamp/processors?

The answer, as in most things, is obviously money. The majority of their potential customers want a single device that is often bundled with speakers by a big box retailer. Simplicity is a valued feature by the majority of consumers.

That said, it would be soooo nice if manufacturers of modest AVRs took the tech from an AVR, stripped out the amps, reduced the power supply, added pre-outs, and put it in a slim attractive case.

Amplification doesn’t really change. A decent 7 channels of solid state amplification will essentially last a lifetime.

Codecs change. Interfaces change (hdmi). Streaming protocols change (Airplay, Bluetooth), Networking protocols (wifi 6) change. Room correction / equalization changes. These are the things that drive upgrades for alot of people.

I feel like I am repeatedly throwing away perfectly adequate amplification each time I upgrade my AVR for a new feature set. I am currently struck with upgrade-itis in search of the ability to play with better EQ. It kills me that I will once again be buying amps bundled into a huge bulky AVR. It seems irrational, inefficient, and not environmentally sound. But going to separates involves moving up to astronomical price points.

Come on denon/marantz/pioneer/onkyo build me an affordable pre/pro!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Primare is supposedly releasing exactly what you mentioned: an amp-stripped processor for less money than the AVR, the SP25.

But there is no release info, only some notes about features and price.

Last edited:

Shanman

Forum Donor
With a recent experience of sending back an underwhelming Parasound P6, using an AVR for preamp duties are a lot more attractive for the price and features. Using an old legacy Adcom preamp does certainly make me appreciate a good solid stand alone preamp for sure though. Short of the Parasound DAC that the old Adcom lacked, there was nothing it presented that the Adcom wasn't better sounding at.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Something like the Schiit Saga S with the Modius phono pre-amp circuit also incorporated into it would be a good offering. Make it sell for $400 or $450.

I'm attracted by the Saga, but holding off for now as I am getting good use out of my old NAD 1020 with a decent phono pre inside.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I believe we, enthusiasts tend to overestimate the market for separates, for PrePro in particular. The reality is that most of us, perhaps 75% (made up number , sue me :D) are quite satisfied with our AVR. with or without Pre output
To me the proof is that, the remaining biggies, the Denon/Marantz, Yamaha, et al. do not consider the demand sufficient to bother
I believe some manufacturers have the chops to tackle this issue, I am looking at you Topping, SMSL ,etc :) ... I think for those, the main obstacles are licensing cost for: CODECS, HDMI, Digital Room Correction, BT, Wi-Fi. DTS, Auro, ATMOS, etc.. These add up quickly

I am not yet thinking endgame but if ever... Trinnov. Cost is commensurate with very high performance and, yes, (small) market size.

Peace.

Music707

Primare is supposedly releasing exactly what you mentioned: an amp-stripped processor for less money than the AVR, the SP25.

But there is no release info, only some notes about features and price.

The OP was asking for an affordable PrePro and made reference to more budget friendly manufacturers like Denon etc. My guess is that at € 5K the SP25 will fail to meet the OP's understanding of "affordable".

OP
C
Another part of this equation is that the actual cost of building the amps into an AVR is likely a relatively insignificant percentage of the total product cost with R&D, shipping and warehousing, marketing, etc factored in. So the cost of bringing the same quality AVR to market as a pre/pro would possibly not be significantly less.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The OP was asking for an affordable PrePro and made reference to more budget friendly manufacturers like Denon etc. My guess is that at € 5K the SP25 will fail to meet the OP's understanding of "affordable".
Yeah, that was part of the grief I felt when I posted it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I'd like that to happen, I'm not holding my breath. Just doesn't seem that enough want one to "make it so"

OP
C
Premium Audio should take the Integra DRX-5.4, keep Dirac, pull out the amps, add XLR outputs and sell it for $1200. I'd be all over it.

Martin
Exactly. Or at a lower price point the Pioneer LX505 with Dirac Live, stripped of its 9 amps, and provisioned as a preamp.

Music707

Premium Audio should take the Integra DRX-5.4, keep Dirac, pull out the amps, add XLR outputs and sell it for $1200. I'd be all over it.

Martin

Oh yes, what would life be without dreams ... ;)

Top Bottom