• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why don’t ASR members laud Neumann speakers?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Juhazi lovely business campus.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You mean the grass?

More than the lawn...

I suppose the photo was just carefully angled and cropped to give the appearance of being on the edge of wilderness instead of the edge of modern civilization.

1566599341880.png

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Reminds me of a trip we took to Germany on business. After finishing our meetings, my boss and I took a drive to southeastern part of Germany. This was in 1980s before the age of mobile Internet. Wanted to stay at a hotel and found a kiosk with pictures of all the hotels. Not reading German, I searched for the hotel with most amenities listed together with being perched on top of this beautiful meadow. We book the reservation on the phone and then drive to hotel. Get there and all we see is this residential neighborhood with building after building. No sign of any meadow. We drove up and down and then again. All of a sudden I realize the hotel was there but now there were building all around it!

We went in there and it was an old, tired hotel despite being the highest ranked. :( The pictures must have been from decades back before people built new things around it....

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose the photo was just carefully angled and cropped to give the appearance of being on the edge of wilderness instead of the edge of modern civilization.

Hmm... Civilization and "Iisalmi" in the same sentence..? :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, I love their 8430A IP SAM™ Studio Monitor - only connection is Ethernet, even for power. Audio is AoIP, power is PoE.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By the way, I love their 8430A IP SAM™ Studio Monitor - only connection is Ethernet, even for power. Audio is AoIP, power is PoE.

Too bad they don’t have IP connection for all the models, Ideally with an open source protocol. That would be a real improvement. Cable vendors could go crazy on RJ45 gold plated connectors, silver wires and audiophiles switches ...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad they don’t have IP connection for all the models, Ideally with an open source protocol. That would be a real improvement. Cable vendors could go crazy on RJ45 gold plated connectors, silver wires and audiophiles switches ...

Indeed. In the case of the Genelec 8430A, the protocol is AES67. The protocol spec is free if you are an AES member, $100 otherwise.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes and at least one of those boosters sells them and is extremely active in threads boosting them and denigrating at least Genelec that I’ve seen. I’ve kind of wondered why you and Thomas allow that.
Because we get huge backhanders ( amir dose not need the money but my bar bill don't pay itself).

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Julf Isnt max power on PoE like 25 watts?

The latest standard defines type 3 with 55 W and type 4 with 90 W, but in this case, with type 2, yes, 25 W. It is 25 W continuous, the speaker charges a battery/supercapacitor with it, so it can exceed 25 W for quite a while.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is. According to IEEE 802.3at-2009 it's 25.5W.
PoE is evolving at an accelerated rate. I have used switches capable of 60 watts continuous on a port... I haven't tested the 60 watts rating but a PTZ camera which draws with its blower and heater on up to 45 watts has been working with no issues ...
https://www.etherwan.com/products/60w-poe-switches

There are talks for PoE 120 Watts standards. There are already products capable of up to 95 watts , I haven't tested these .. yet
https://planetechusa.com/poe-175-95...s-802-3bt-poe-injector-95-watts-internal-pwr/

Krunok

Major Contributor
PoE is evolving at an accelerated rate. I have used switches capable of 60 watts continuous on a port... I haven't tested the 60 watts rating but a PTZ camera which draws with its blower and heater on up to 45 watts has been working with no issues ...
https://www.etherwan.com/products/60w-poe-switches

There are talks for PoE 120 Watts standards there are products capable of up to 95 watts , I haven't tested these .. yet
https://planetechusa.com/poe-175-95...s-802-3bt-poe-injector-95-watts-internal-pwr/

Very true. PoE can come quite handy in some scenarios. Type 4 supports up to 100W per port: https://www.belden.com/blog/smart-building/poe-types-what-they-mean-and-how-they-re-used

Top Bottom