• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why doesn't there seem to be inexpensive and high-performance power amps?

zanlation

I have built three TPA3255EVM power amps using the mean well 350 SMPS. They are incredibly quite (low noise) at high volume. Each amp cost about AU$800 with the evm modules bought when they were US$75. The custom case cost more than the TPA3255EVM module. Has anyone measured the TPA3255EVM? Are any major audio amp companies using the TPA3255 amps?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I have built three TPA3255EVM power amps using the mean well 350 SMPS. They are incredibly quite (low noise) at high volume. Each amp cost about AU$800 with the evm modules bought when they were US$75. The custom case cost more than the TPA3255EVM module. Has anyone measured the TPA3255EVM? Are any major audio amp companies using the TPA3255 amps?
QuantAsylum tested the EVM as well as a generic ebay version. The EVM pretty much matches datasheet specs as expected, while the generic is worse, and uses a regulator that can't handle the usually advertised power supply voltage. 3E Audio show AP measurements for their boards but AFAIK haven't been independently tested. I've not heard of major brands using them, but it's rare that they'd advertise that sort of thing so you'd have to look for someone finding them in teardowns.

snip3r77

There are several in the 85 to 95 SINAD range with reasonable power and prices under $1,000. Can you really hear the difference another 10db SINAD makes?

silly question

if say my DAC is 100 and the audio amp is 95. hence, the nett output is only 95? what is the SINAD for CD?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
silly question

if say my DAC is 100 and the audio amp is 95. hence, the nett output is only 95? what is the SINAD for CD?

PCM audio on a CD doesn't really have a SINAD but 16 bit audio has a dynamic range of 96dB.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
silly question

IME noise is more important than distortion, particularly considering the speakers or headphones will be orders of magnitude worse than any electronics (SINAD is a measure of the good engineering not SQ IMHO)
The dynamic range of CD is more than enough for me. If I set my system for loud music I can only just detect a tone at -75dB so I make sure noise is better than -80dB and Bob’s my uncle.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
silly question

if say my DAC is 100 and the audio amp is 95. hence, the nett output is only 95?
For a worse case calculation:
Input of the dac = signal
Output of the dac = signal x (1 + dac error)
Input of the amp = signal x (1 + dac error)
Output of the amp = gain x signal x (1 + dac error) x (1 + amp error)
For a perfect signal chain, we would expect the output of the amp to be gain x signal, so the worse case error is (1 + dac error) x (1 + amp error) - 1
With your numbers, system error is -91.4 dB
Again, worse case

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not everyone really needs high levels of power for their domestic hi-fi systems.

In Europe, most people live in flats of about 90m2 (apartments) with neighbors on the other side of the wall. And the music equipment is usually located in the living room, which is usually around 20 to 35 m2 and without a decent soundproofing.

In that situation you cannot take advantage of great power because it is unfeasible to apply big sound pressures ... without the neighbor calling the police and risking a fine.
Obviously there are people who live in single-family homes and do not have to worry about neighbors ... but in Europe that is the exception, not the norm.

In short, there is a huge market for low-medium power amplifiers (25-75W) ... for people who live in apartments with neighbors and without soundproof rooms. And (at least in Spain) it is a fact that many people have oversized amplifiers for their true needs in terms of sound pressure ...

For example, I have a second hifi system in a 15m2 room (5 x 3 m) with a Klipsch RP 160M speakers and I'm really left over with 35W and even less.... because it is impossible to maintain pressure levels of more than 90-95dB at the listening point without disturbing the neighbors... and that pressure is achieved with very little power in 15m2 with a standard 90 dB/W/m speakers that most people use.
I can relate to your findings here in Holland I have a corner home so Just 1 neighbour who is exactly 100 years old an quite deff. I Will be horrified when the Day come's she will pass away.:facepalm:

snip3r77

IME noise is more important than distortion, particularly considering the speakers or headphones will be orders of magnitude worse than any electronics (SINAD is a measure of the good engineering not SQ IMHO)
The dynamic range of CD is more than enough for me. If I set my system for loud music I can only just detect a tone at -75dB so I make sure noise is better than -80dB and Bob’s my uncle.
I can relate to your findings here in Holland I have a corner home so Just 1 neighbour who is exactly 100 years old an quite deff. I Will be horrified when the Day come's she will pass away.:facepalm:

So one would want to see SN ratio rather than SINAD for audio amps?

So for this case?
it's more than 95db which is good enough for CD/spotify?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...behringer-a800-stereo-amplifier-review.10499/

so how does dac SINAD relates to S/N ? No need to have a technical explanation.

Thanks.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So one would want to see SN ratio rather than SINAD for audio amps?

So for this case?
it's more than 95db which is good enough for CD/spotify?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...behringer-a800-stereo-amplifier-review.10499/

so how does dac SINAD relates to S/N ? No need to have a technical explanation.

Thanks.
SINAD is signal to noise and distortion.
It is technically feasible to make this value many times better than it actually needs to be in low level electronics.

Habu

Meanwhile a selection of SKU's of the solution waiting to propel them to a new level are right here:

32384A82-3850-43D8-8ABA-C6C4DC5398A7.png

Thanks for this information !

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom