• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does so much High End audio not use balanced connections?

r042wal

Forum Donor
Why do some portable digital players offer balanced 4mm outputs like the Shaning M3 Ultra for example? Would there be a noticeable difference? Thanks

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do some portable digital players offer balanced 4mm outputs like the Shaning M3 Ultra for example? Would there be a noticeable difference? Thanks
Balanced output for headphones has become trendy. So far to my knowledge no one has demonstrated any advantage.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Balanced output for headphones has become trendy. So far to my knowledge no one has demonstrated any advantage.
In small portable devices with limited power supply rails the extra voltage swing can help power output into high impedance headphones. It's a pretty small niche use case though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In small portable devices with limited power supply rails the extra voltage swing can help power output into high impedance headphones. It's a pretty small niche use case though.
Ah, good point.

robwpdx

You usually see balanced with very low voltages to implement common mode noise rejection. Microphones, we should do it on phone cartridges, and differential instrumentation applications, especially for low output sensors. Many oscilloscopes have differential amplifier plug ins.

In pro audio, at one time, every in and out of a gain stage was a differential transformer. Before that they were needed in the tube days for voltage isolation. From equipment I have worked on, the tube condenser mics (and some FET and dynamic mics) have a transformer out to create a balanced line. The console has transformer in, followed by the preamp gain stage, and transformer out from that. Sometimes the EQ is transformer in and out, the summing amplifier is transformer out, all the sends and returns are transformer in and out. All the outboard equipment like dynamics, delay, and echo is all transformer in and out. That would be followed by the Dolby transformer in and out and the tape machine transformer in and out. Mixing would go through the line in transformer, back through and out through all the Dolby and tape machine transformers. The mastering and disc cutting chain would be similar. All balanced.

Oristo

RJ45 becomes mainstream
Even though ideally offering galvanic isolation, RJ45 connections are still liable to damage from surges induced in twisted pairs by nearby lightning (ask me how I know).
24/96 TOSLINK suffices for me.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even a short interconnect cable could pick up some noise from an external PSU laying nearby.
Things have to go really wrong with your PSU and RCA for it to be putting out even remotely audible levels of interference that picked up on an interconnect.

jeffbook

Even though ideally offering galvanic isolation, RJ45 connections are still liable to damage from surges induced in twisted pairs by nearby lightning (ask me how I know).
I would ask how you know, but I expect it is a horror story.......
I also find that TOSlink 24/88.2 or 24/96 also works just fine for me with my mini computer server running Foobar

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They are a lot, lot easier to handle than an XLR. On the other hand, with an RJ45, you'll be transferring digital only, thus eliminating interference even more than with an XLR.

Top Bottom