• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Rega not use a ground wire?

sofrep811

Just curious because I had an IFI Zen Phono lose it’s left channel (returned it and asked for a Zen Blue V2 and they sent it. Now I’m in market for a $150 and under phono pre. Anyway - never had any bad issues with my Rega but have always wondered how they get away with it?

ctbarker32

Rega is all about keeping things simple and minimalism. For the most part it works but I agree that not having a separate ground wire is a glaring ommision that can be a real pain in practice. Also, the lack of VTA adjustment is the other major divergence from the rest of the industry. You can buy shims, but it should be available on at least their higher end turntables. I have several modded Regas all the way to a stock RP8 and they are a terrific value for the most part. The P6 is in the sweet spot of the their line.

egellings

Major Contributor
Not familiar with Rega products at all, but if they are made of largely nonconductive parts, a ground would not be useful there. Just guessing.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't know about the current models, but the RB250 and RB300 were mostly metal. If you unscrew the plastic stub that holds the counterweight on the RB250 (and probably the metal stub on the RB300) you'll find the spring contact that grounds the arm tube, which is connected to one of the RCA screens rather than a separate ground tag. The RCA screen on most phono inputs is ground too, so it usually 'Just Works'

My ageing eyesight meant I had to ask a kind friend to fit a cartridge to a Rega RB300 tonearm. He was unaware of Rega's earthing arrangements & fitted a separate earth wire. Didn't make the slightest difference to the sound (to my ears anyway) .

Top Bottom