• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Peters EQ Peace distort / clip so badly but the Asus Xonar EQ doesn't????

john5220

If I use the D30 and Spark amp I have to use Peters EQ but when I up the EQ even by a small amount you can hear how horrible the distortion / clipping is. You have to use "prevent clipping which is Pre Amplify" Which makes the other bands much lower and makes the vocals sound softer.

On the Xonar control panel there is no such thing as Pre Amplyfing or prevent clipping, you can just raize the EQ and it barely distorts.

There has to be some sort of scientific explanation for this

Celty

If I use the D30 and Spark amp I have to use Peters EQ but when I up the EQ even by a small amount you can hear how horrible the distortion / clipping is. You have to use "prevent clipping which is Pre Amplify" Which makes the other bands much lower and makes the vocals sound softer.

On the Xonar control panel there is no such thing as Pre Amplyfing or prevent clipping, you can just raize the EQ and it barely distorts.

There has to be some sort of scientific explanation for this
That is interesting, as I have gone from using the Asus Xonar Audio Center EQ to the Equalizer APO and Peace GUI front end. I have not had the issue you describe, though we are are running different hardware, so perhaps that is the variable. How is your setup without using an equalizer, any problems?

I am using different EQ profiles for each of my headphones, and neither has presented me with distortion or clipping. One thing I am wondering is that you stated you experienced Xonar EQ "barely distorts". Can you explain what distortion you hear using the Xonar? I had never heard distortion at all using my STX and EQ with Asus Audio Center, so could something be amiss that is just more apparent when using your external DAC / Amp and Peace? What headphones are you using?

OP
J

john5220

That is interesting, as I have gone from using the Asus Xonar Audio Center EQ to the Equalizer APO and Peace GUI front end. I have not had the issue you describe, though we are are running different hardware, so perhaps that is the variable. How is your setup without using an equalizer, any problems?

I am using different EQ profiles for each of my headphones, and neither has presented me with distortion or clipping. One thing I am wondering is that you stated you experienced Xonar EQ "barely distorts". Can you explain what distortion you hear using the Xonar? I had never heard distortion at all using my STX and EQ with Asus Audio Center, so could something be amiss that is just more apparent when using your external DAC / Amp and Peace? What headphones are you using?

I guess you are just really lucky......

if I EQ the 30hz on the Xonar to +20DB it will somewhat distort there is no escaping that. But halfway its perfect and doesn't appear to mess with the mid range much at all.

On the Peter EQ its just so bad, any slight increase will cause clipping and sound soo bad where I then have to enable prevent clipping option which will then auto adjust the pre amp but lowers the frequencies.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not an expert in the matter but unlike external DACs with fixed voltage output, Xonar DG has variable voltage output. For example, your D30 puts out 2V at 0 dBFS and any digital signal higher than 0 dBFS will cause it to clip/distort. Therefore, any gain higher than 0dB on your EQ will cause it to distort. You would need to reduce the volume on the pre amplifying settings on the Peter's EQ by the amount of the highest peak that you set your EQ to prevent clipping/distorting. Then just turn up your Liquid Spark volume to regain the mids and treble peaks that were decreased during the pre amplifying stage. In the case of Xonar, the software does not run your Xonar at 0 dBFS unless you crank all of the volume up therefore there's a headroom to EQ while your Topping always run at full scale so you have to manually decrease the pre amplifying to gain headroom until you hit 0 dBFS.

Celty

+10DB is a pretty hefty EQ bump. I still don't have a clear idea what you are attempting to equalize.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
30 Hz @ 20 dB is asking a lot from any hardware ... Just saying... It requires 100 times more power ...

You can get one of those Sony MDR XB1000 Extra Bass headphones that is boosted already at 30 Hz so you won't need 20 dB boost at that frequency range

Last edited:

Celty

30 Hz @ 20 dB is asking a lot from any hardware ... Just saying... It requires 100 times more power ...
My thinking too.
I'm not an expert in the matter but unlike external DACs with fixed voltage output, Xonar DG has variable voltage output. For example, your D30 puts out 2V at 0 dBFS and any digital signal higher than 0 dBFS will cause it to clip/distort. Therefore, any gain higher than 0dB on your EQ will cause it to distort. You would need to reduce the volume on the pre amplifying settings on the Peter's EQ by the amount of the highest peak that you set your EQ to prevent clipping/distorting. Then just turn up your Liquid Spark volume to regain the mids and treble peaks that were decreased during the pre amplifying stage. In the case of Xonar, the software does not run your Xonar at 0 dBFS unless you crank all of the volume up therefore there's a headroom to EQ while your Topping always run at full scale so you have to manually decrease the pre amplifying to gain headroom until you hit 0 dBFS.
Great information.

OP
J

john5220

This is what I run right now, what are the pros and cons of playing music with this EQ?

Amazingly my HD58x plays really well with this setting but the mids isn't what I want it to be, why does this happen? I take it a sub woofer is theonly way to get perfect sub bass at 30hz at +25db while retaining perfect mids since it uses separate speakers?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

john5220

Do you guys use EQ? if so how do you use it? or is it better to leave everything Flat and get a headphone designed for bass?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
This is what I run right now, what are the pros and cons of playing music with this EQ?

Amazingly my HD58x plays really well with this setting but the mids isn't what I want it to be, why does this happen? I take it a sub woofer is theonly way to get perfect sub bass at 30hz at +25db while retaining perfect mids since it uses separate speakers?

View attachment 40881

Sorry, but I still don’t understand how it does not distort so much with the +25dB boost.

OP
J

john5220

Sorry, but I still don’t understand how it does not distort so much with the +25dB boost.

^ perhaps it is distorting but my feeble mind doesn't understand what distortion is?

All I know is once "prevent clipping" which reduces "pre amplifying" is enabled it basically makes everything sound softer and darker with much recessed mids, it sounds smooth with shit tons of bass, but no noticeable distortion? maybe I don't understand what distortion is?

If I don't enable "prevent clipping" in peters EQ it sounds really really distorted

OP
J

john5220

So this is an entire software package? or its a plugin of some sort that needs to be used with foobar or groove music? I use windows default groove music player is that good?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
*Even with ultra low distortion headphones +12dB (theoretically) is the most that I will ever dare go. FYI: I rarely use 100% EQ setting for morphit due to practical HP to HP variation of FR -- unless doing manual EQing.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
So this is an entire software package? or its a plugin of some sort that needs to be used with foobar or groove music? I use windows default groove music player is that good?

VST plugin that can be used with software players like JRiver or Foobar (need another VST wrapper plugin first) ... there are other versions -- I think -- which can be used with iOS or Android. See: https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_morphit_v1.html

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Same plugins installed in foobar and used with shortcut keys:

*oh, yeah... Morphit & Isone not enabled here. I have used manual EQs before with TB equalizer instead. Haven't updated my Foobar settings in a long time anyhows.

1575139967256.png

1575140013494.png

1575141062390.png

Last edited:

Alex-D

Use prevent clipping and add gain in amplifier. That way you are really getting bass bost you are asking for.

If there is no clipping and mids are not getting lower in volume then some additional processing takes place and you don't know what exactly is that.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
30Hz +20dB is extreme !
You really need another type of headphone and recommend to search basshead forums for recommendations.

Below my (analog) EQ vs stock HD58X

kam-vs-stock-hd58x.png

10Hz +5dB, 30Hz 0dB !

Top Bottom