• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Bluetooth audio transmission must use compression?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the car primarily, and for use with cell phones. Anything else should be using wifi. BT range is limited and for good reason. This eliminates conflicts with other devices.
How about headphones?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about battery life? Have you ever seen a Wi-Fi headphone?

Forgot about BT headphones, but personally can't imagine wanting headphones at all...and I'd go wired over BT. There could be dlna headphones out there, don't know.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The AptX Lossless press release I've already linked to, which I quoted above.
I see that but you said:
* - an issue Qualcomm have (claimed) to have now solved (or at least minimised) by optimizing the codec.
the phrase now solved means they managed something which they couldn't before. It looks to me that they simply have changed the compression rate to slide up to mathematically lossless. I can't see anything there to be solved.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgot about BT headphones, but personally can't imagine wanting headphones at all...and I'd go wired over BT. There could be dlna headphones out there, don't know.
The vast majority of headphones on sale are wireless. It is a $45 Billion industry. Even Mark Levinson introduced a wireless headphone.

Reactions: JRS

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With each BT audio "improvement" (is codec the right word?) don't you need both a transmitting device and receiving device that can use that latest feature? I'd guess with headphones that would be a kit, but not so much for other BT uses.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I see that but you said:

the phrase now solved means they managed something which they couldn't before. It looks to me that they simply have changed the compression rate to slide up to mathematically lossless. I can't see anything there to be solved.
* - an issue Qualcomm have (claimed) to have now solved (or at least minimised) by optimizing the codec.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The vast majority of headphones on sale are wireless. It is a $45 Billion industry. Even Mark Levinson introduced a wireless headphone.
That's nice but I don't use or need headphones. If I were still working and travelling a lot by air I possibly would get a pair of noise cancelling headphones but generally not my thing. Levinson, meh.

GaryH

Major Contributor
LDAC codec can stream lossless 16 bits/44.1kHz over Bluetooth.
No it can't. It's a lossy codec. Stereo 16 bits/44.1kHz has a bit rate of 2 x 16 x 44100= 1,411 kbps. LDAC tops out at 990 kbps.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it can't. It's a lossy codec. Stereo 16 bits/44.1kHz has a bit rate of 2 x 16 x 44100= 1,411 kbps. LDAC tops out at 990 kbps.

But FLAC is lossless and operates in that area....

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

GaryH

Major Contributor
It’s not Wi-Fi.
Technically no, but colloquially such non-Bluetooth RF headphones are sometimes called wi-fi headphones. The point is non-Bluetooth wireless headphones exist, some of which are lossless.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically no, but colloquially such non-Bluetooth RF headphones are sometimes called wi-fi headphones. The point is non-Bluetooth wireless headphones exist, some of which are lossless.
Well they shouldn’t be. Nor that I saw any example. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and proprietary wireless all work at the 2.4GHz band. Their names are the only thing that separates them to the user.

You can’t use proprietary on a smartphone as their wireless is not upgradeable and you can’t use Wi-Fi either as the current requirement is too high.

Last edited:

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I read a rumour that Apple is also getting into the lossless wireless audio with the upcoming AirPods Pro 2.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read a rumour that Apple is also getting into the lossless wireless audio with the upcoming AirPods Pro 2.
It’s not a rumour. They announced it in 2019. It’s an extension called HDR which supports up to 8Mbit/s.

Trell

Major Contributor

Ah, yes, in case the LDAC has content it is unable to compress lossless to fit BT transmission rate.

Top Bottom