• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Do You Own Benchmark Products?

radix

Major Contributor
Just for laughs, I asked ChatGPT why people buy Benchmark gear:

John Siau:

Why do people buy Benchmark gear?

ChatGPT:

People buy Benchmark gear for several reasons, each influenced by the unique qualities and reputation of the brand. Here are some common factors that attract customers to Benchmark products:
You should hire it!

That makes me think, maybe I should legally change my name to "Chat Gpt" so I can get a job if I ever need a new one.

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sounds like it is quoting you...
It can also do this:

Write a standup comedy routine about RayDunzl the Grand Contributor and Central Scrutinizer.

ChatGPT:

Ladies and gentlemen, let's talk about the legends of the internet, RayDunzl the Grand Contributor and Central Scrutinizer. Now, you might be wondering, who are these mysterious figures? Well, buckle up, because I'm about to bring their comedic antics to life!
First, we have RayDunzl, the Grand Contributor. This guy is like a human Wikipedia on steroids. He knows everything about everything. You could ask him the most random question like, "What's the capital of Djibouti?" and he'd respond faster than you can say "Google it." He's like a walking, talking search engine. I bet his brain has a "Did you mean..." feature built right in.
And then there's the Central Scrutinizer. This online watchdog is like the digital Sherlock Holmes. Nothing gets past this guy. He's like the gatekeeper of the internet, ensuring that no foolishness goes unnoticed. You post a questionable meme or a questionable opinion, and bam! The Central Scrutinizer is there, ready to pounce with his virtual magnifying glass. He's got a radar for trolls, grammar Nazis, and those who dare to misuse "your" and "you're." You better watch out, folks!
But here's the thing about RayDunzl and the Central Scrutinizer. They're like the dynamic duo of the internet. They might seem like opposites, one all-knowing and the other all-critical, but they share a common goal: to keep the online realm in check. They're like the Batman and Robin of the digital world, fighting the villains of misinformation and bad grammar, one comment at a time.
Now, let's not forget the funny side of these characters. RayDunzl, with his encyclopedic knowledge, can drop some hilarious facts that make your jaw drop. Did you know that a single strand of spaghetti is called a "spaghetto"? Yeah, RayDunzl taught me that gem. And the Central Scrutinizer, with his sharp wit, can roast you so hard, you'll need aloe vera for the burn. Don't mess with him, or you'll end up as the punchline of an internet meme faster than you can say "Rickrolled."
So, let's give it up for RayDunzl the Grand Contributor and the Central Scrutinizer, the unsung heroes of the internet. They're like the comedy duo that keeps us informed and entertained, all while making sure we don't go down the rabbit hole of fake news and atrocious spelling. We may never know their true identities, but we can appreciate their humor and dedication to keeping the online world a little bit saner.
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for joining me on this comedy journey through the virtual realm. And remember, be careful what you post, because RayDunzl and the Central Scrutinizer might just be watching. Stay funny, stay informed, and stay grammatically correct!

Martini

Forum Donor
Sounds like it is quoting you...
Well, let's say they've been getting to know each other lately ;)

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
now THAT^^^ is hilarious... made my day... thx @John_Siau...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My two go to amplifiers are a 1959 design by David Hafler and Ed Laurent. And of course John's AHB-2. That's a sixty year span.

I figure I'll be due for a replacement in 2080 or so. Probably still be able to get replacement parts for the Dynaco in '80--they never seem to get old. Not sure about the Benchmark. But it won't matter because, unfortunately I won't be around to know.

I would ask AI how much longer I can be an audiofool, but I'm afraid of the answer.

roog

Forum Donor
Considering how I evaluate hifi components now I should own Benchmark gear, their ethos matches my values.
sadly I was suckered by the fancy marketing of a long standing brand which has never displayed innovative tech and sought to protect its aging designs by building a strong belief system around it. Whilst it probably isn’t junk, it is way behind the current state of the art and It’s hard to take the hit when selling such gear on.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My second digital product was the Benchmark Dac 1 bought in 2004 (first was an Audio Research CD 1). I used it in conjunction with a Slim Devices Squeeze box. I found it to be exceptionally neutral and that it sounded every bit as good as my $35k analog rig.

I found that going digital enabled me to do a couple of things: One, I ripped all of my 2000+ CDs to a Western Digital 4tb hard drive. I then found I could connect that hard drive via a cat 6 cable to my modem and, using the SB's Slim Server software, use my PC to play any of those ripped CDs. So the CDs resided on a hard drive connected to a modem in a back bedroom. My PC was across the house in my master bedroom, and I could tell select any of 2000 CDs to play in a third room via the Squeezebox connected via spdif to the Benchmark. I had no other "server" other than the laptop, the squeezebox and the WD Drive connected via cat 6 to my modem, and it worked perfectly. So I guess I created my first music server by accident in 2004.

The second thing I discovered was DSP. I started out with a Behringer 24/96 Ultracurve Pro (which was fed the digital output of the Squeezebox), and using their mic, adjusted my speakers in room to flatten them out. At that point, the bass was much improved. Then about a year later, I had the opportunity to acquire a used TACT RC-1 for around $1k, and using its automated room adjustment resulted in further major improvements throughout the entire frequency range. It was around that time i realized analog was surpassed and sold my vinyl, TT, etc and became all digital.

And it was DAC 1's versatility, the variety of inputs (spdif, AES/EBU), and the digital volume control that allowed it to be used as a preamp that really convinced me it could be the control hub of a state of the art high end system. The DAC 1 was truly the landmark product that allowed me to move from a very expensive, cumbersome and ultimately limited analog system to an edge of the art digital system. It was one of those products that changed my world view.

Last edited:

pseydor

I bought the AHB2s because I liked the sound from the get-go and the excellent measured performance was a great confirmation. I also like the size/weight.
I completely agree, Kal. I bought the amp after reviewing it for TAS and it remains my reference for the reasons you say. When I reviewed the LA4 preamp for TAS I connected one channel of it between one channel of my McIntosh C53 and the corresponding channel in the AHB2. With a mono signal and levels matched to within a mini-dB of their lives it was impossible to tell any difference between one channel of the C53 going straight into the AHB2 and the other channel of the C53 going through the fully active LA into the AHB2. If that isn't neutrality, I don't know what is. My only complaints about the LA4 are functional: I wish it had a mono switch and I wish it had another pair of balanced and another pair of single-ended inputs.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I completely agree, Kal. I bought the amp after reviewing it for TAS and it remains my reference for the reasons you say. When I reviewed the LA4 preamp for TAS I connected one channel of it between one channel of my McIntosh C53 and the corresponding channel in the AHB2. With a mono signal and levels matched to within a mini-dB of their lives it was impossible to tell any difference between one channel of the C53 going straight into the AHB2 and the other channel of the C53 going through the fully active LA into the AHB2. If that isn't neutrality, I don't know what is. My only complaints about the LA4 are functional: I wish it had a mono switch and I wish it had another pair of balanced and another pair of single-ended inputs.

I did something similar.

I use a CJ tube preamp that I love but also wanted a neutral solid state preamp as well. I chose the Benchmark LA4 both for it's features, which allowed me to do what I wanted to achieve, and for it's impeccable measurements. I run my CJ preamp through the LA4 at unity gain, and the LA4's measured performance gives me peace of mind
that nothing is going to be added to the CJ signal. So I can with the press of a button flip between the CJ in the chain or out. I like both presentations depending on mood.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I made the same test with a Topping Pre90. The Topping had enough inputs for me and I don't need a mono switch but its RC was unreliable. My solution is no preamp which, of course, sounds just as good.

The DAC3L does not make any switching or turn-on/turn-off thumps or noises; it is completely electronically silent. It has a very precise remote volume control. It has a fully internal switching power supply; no cheap, ugly, and inconvenient wall wart. It has multiple analog outputs (one set single-ended, one set balanced) which allow separate lines to be run to subs (I use single-ended for this) and the L/R amps. It has a substantial feel to the entire assembly; there isn't anything cheap or junky about it. I expect the DAC3L to outlive me.

I bought a DAC3L several years ago for similar reasons. That and @John_Siau spent many minutes on the phone with me explaining the company and product philosophy. Also have an AVM70 for home theater but the DAC3L is just superb for 2 channel and convenient because it takes digital via USB from a Ropieee Pi 3B+.

If Benchmark made a 3 channel amp I would have bought that as well but alas, it's not on the product roadmap AFAIK.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Consdering the full budget to match other integrated AB amps with DAC, I am very curious to know why people buy Benchmark (full stack, preamp, DAC, power). Heck, I think Yamaha or Rotel do not even have a similar price offer.

I know the answer, 'because I have the money and it is not Yamaha or Rotel'.

Jasperous

The Benchmarks have made any speaker I have connected it to sound like they've never been properly amplified. I can hear the difference even against my Denon X3700H, which consider my KEF R500s shouldn't be possible but it is.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Consdering the full budget to match other integrated AB amps with DAC, I am very curious to know why people buy Benchmark (full stack, preamp, DAC, power). Heck, I think Yamaha or Rotel do not even have a similar price offer.

I know the answer, 'because I have the money and it is not Yamaha or Rotel'.

Reasons

1 - local (10-15 miles from the house)
2 - service
3 - build quality
4 - performance

I wanted what “I” thought was the best I could get

HQY

I use LA4 with Neumann 120II/750 2.2 speaker system. Prior to the LA4, I used Placette Audio RVC passive amp for 10+ years. Seems LA4 is only active preamp that I can afford that as ‘clean’ as a passive preamp.

Top Bottom