• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do speakers pop and thump with a surge protector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancreas

If I connect my Genelec speakers to a surge protector, whenever I power on and off the surge protector, the speaker pops and thumps. The power off thump is louder than the power on pop.

but when I leave the surge protector on, and I simply power the speakers on and off with button on the back, I get almost no pop, especially not when turning off.

Why does this happen? I wish they didn't do this, so I can turn them on and off with the surge protector. Its a pain having to turn them on and off with the buttons on the back.

This is a really annoying. I'm just going to buy a new audio interface with its own power supply, connect it to the a surge protector and leave it on 24/7

Then connect my speakers, computer and everything to another surge protector that will also be on all the time, and activate the Genelec sleep mode, so they can turn off on their own, then wake up when I turn on the computer and they detect sound.

Since my audio interface will be on ALL the time, the speakers will never pop

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The surge protector doesn’t have a buffer. Just use the switch on the back of the Genelec’s.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I assume the Pop the same way if you unplug them without turning them off?

30 Ounce

There is probably a relay that disconnects the speaker from the amp when turned off properly.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

There is probably a relay that disconnects the speaker from the amp when turned off properly.

My speaker is genelec 8030c, it costs $1400 the pair, I hope it has a relay or something lmao

The real question is why the pop and thump happens when using a surge protector on and off, but doesn't really happen when I turn the speakers on and off with the power button on the back of them

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The power button probably connects to an internal circuit that provides soft-start and shutdown, common enough in amplifiers and such. If you just pull the plug, or turn off the power strip (essentially the same thing to the speaker), that bypasses the soft-start/stop circuit.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds more like you chose gear not suited to your use particularly. Are there Genelecs with a remote instead of using the switch on the back? I just turn my active speakers off when not in use (but don't use them much either).

30 Ounce

The pop is because the capacitors are discharging through the speakers because the relay wasn’t disconnected first.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The power button probably connects to an internal circuit that provides soft-start and shutdown, common enough in amplifiers and such. If you just pull the plug, or turn off the power strip (essentially the same thing to the speaker), that bypasses the soft-start/stop circuit.

So basically using a power sequencer, would result in the same? Since the power sequencer is literally a power strip. It would create the same thump.

I think my only solution is to

- buy an audio interface with its own power supply and run it 24/7 separately from the rest of my gear
- use the Genelec ISS option for standby mode
- connect my speakers, computer, computer monitor, etc to a surge protector that will be on all the time

This way the interface will be on all the time, so no pops.

Similarly, since the speakers will not be powering off, but rather enter standby mode. I won't have to power them on and off with the button on the back. They will go on standby mode when I power off my computer and they don't detect sound. When I power on my computer again and start using it, they will detect sound and go from standby to power.

Basically, they will never do that soft start or shutdown, as they are simply sleeping and waking up. This way I'll avoid pops from both ends.

Cause standing up to turn off each speaker, then finally turn off my interface and computer, then viceversa is really annoying.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd just leave everything on to avoid the pops with your current setup, the power usage difference is minimal. Maybe improve on hardware suited to your purposes down the line....

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I'd just leave everything on to avoid the pops with your current setup, the power usage difference is minimal. Maybe improve on hardware suited to your purposes down the line....

I considered this.

The only issue now is that I have an interface that is USB powered by the PC. I'd rather not leave my PC or computer monitor 24/7.

If I buy an interface with own power supply, then I can leave it on all the time and use the Genelec standby mode to let them go to sleep when my computer is off and viceversa.

Since the interface will be on all the time, there will be no sequence pops. The speakers will get a break by sleeping when my computer is off.

I get to power off my computer, which cuts the signal to the computer monitor, so I won't have turn that off

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I considered this.

The only issue now is that I have an interface that is USB powered by the PC. I'd rather not leave my PC or computer monitor 24/7.

If I buy an interface with own power supply, then I can leave it on all the time and use the Genelec standby mode to let them go to sleep when my computer is off and viceversa.

Since the interface will be on all the time, there will be no sequence pops. The speakers will get a break by sleeping when my computer is off.

I get to power off my computer, which cuts the signal to the computer monitor, so I won't have turn that off
That just seems to expand on my point on choosing gear suited to needs. I don't have that issue at all but don't have your choice of gear.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

That just seems to expand on my point on choosing gear suited to needs. I don't have that issue at all but don't have your choice of gear.

I'm a guitar player. I chose studio monitors as I connect my guitar to interface and use DSP plugins to play.

What I don't know if the speakers will pop if I leave an interface with its own power supply, on all the time, but not the computer.

This happens if I have the speakers on and disconnect the USB cable from interface to PC, but that's because is getting power from it, not just data.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a guitar player. I chose studio monitors as I connect my guitar to interface and use DSP plugins to play.

What I don't know if the speakers will pop if I leave an interface with its own power supply, on all the time, but not the computer.

This happens if I have the speakers on and disconnect the USB cable from interface to PC, but that's because is getting power from it, not just data.
Specific use can help people help, mostly here I think it's a reproductive viewpoint rather than production (but a fair amount of production info/experience is available here but you need to be specific on your applications).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
So basically using a power sequencer, would result in the same? Since the power sequencer is literally a power strip. It would create the same thump.

I think my only solution is to

- buy an audio interface with its own power supply and run it 24/7 separately from the rest of my gear
- use the Genelec ISS option for standby mode
- connect my speakers, computer, computer monitor, etc to a surge protector that will be on all the time

This way the interface will be on all the time, so no pops.

Similarly, since the speakers will not be powering off, but rather enter standby mode. I won't have to power them on and off with the button on the back. They will go on standby mode when I power off my computer and they don't detect sound. When I power on my computer again and start using it, they will detect sound and go from standby to power.

Basically, they will never do that soft start or shutdown, as they are simply sleeping and waking up. This way I'll avoid pops from both ends.

Cause standing up to turn off each speaker, then finally turn off my interface and computer, then viceversa is really annoying.
Yes, a sequencer would probably not help in this case. I think your solution list is correct, bearing in mind I do not own those particular speakers.

kongwee

Major Contributor
While leaving other device on and having the convenience of switching the surge protector, you will get a pop. It is due the in rush current that all your device need and produce a pop. It is call transient current, a large current( usually up to 2 time rated) produce in very short milliseconds and sett down to idle current needed. It is alway good practice to switch on gears by sequence.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The golden rule has always been (with passive loudspeakers) amps-on-last; amps-off-first. Or, power everything up (without the power amps), wait a few seconds and then turn the power amps on. When you're done for the day, power down the amps and then everything else. With modern electronics, which often have mains-powered soft starts/stops, powering down is not the same as pulling out the mains plug or switching off at the socket, because the soft start and stop often need power to complete their actions.

With active speakers, the power amp is in the speaker, so get everything stable and then power up the speakers. Then reverse this at the end of the day (but not by switching off the mains socket or pulling the cable).

If your workflow doesn't let you do this, then you will have to live with the pop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom