• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do people like/use Roon?

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I don't use any streaming services (nor am I likely to) and play music from lossless downloads or rips of my CDs and vinyl. ~95% of my music collection is "dance" music (which is why Roon doesn't work for me).

You have a scenario that doesn’t need the features of Roon (single-sourced streaming to multiple endpoints, supporting transport of hi-res files like DSD and 94/24).

For many other folks, these Roon features are a real help.

vavan

Roon failed to show all available artist albums from tidal, at least year or two ago. Don't know whether fixed or not

It doesn't offer filesystem folder navigation, only tag/metadata based, and no built-in vst support

As usual no big deal for some but must have for others

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
I use Roon because the UI provides a rich experience (lyrics, liner notes, credits, etc.) that rivals the enjoyment I used to get from physical media back in the day. I also like the integrated DSP and flexibility to stream to a variety of different types of end points (Rpi/Ropieee, Sonos, Homepod, etc., 9 total throughout house) from a consistent interface regardless of which controller is used (MacBook, iPad, iPhone, etc.).

rgpit

Forum Donor
So yea, all the Roon haters, please share your solution with us.
Logitech Media Server with Material Skin, Music and Artist info, and Lyrics plugins installed. It also has Tidal, Qobuz, and Local CD Player plugins. You can control multiple endpoints. It works great and it's all free.

Last edited:

PaulZH

I stumbled upon Roon by accident being pre-installed on a NAS I bought for other reasons. I tried it out and I was sold from the first minute. I was lucky at that time being able to buy the lifetime license at a cheaper price than the actual one.
Now a few years later, if I would not have had the lifelong license, I would seriously reconsider alternatives, if any.
The main reasons are that:
- I'm not impressed by the recommendations done
- I logged 5 issues the last year and only one has been addressed by tech support in a satisfactory way.

tw99

Logitech Media Server with Material Skin, Music and Artist info, and Lyrics plugins installed. It also has Tidal, Qobuz, and Local CD Player plugins. You can control multiple endpoints, itt works great and it's all free.

Same here... And for those of us in the UK it's about the only streaming platform that currently has BBC radio integrated. Overall it's an amazingly well supported ecosystem.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
  1. Streams multichannel tracks through network. Audirvana doesn't.
  2. Everyone in the family has access to the music library

Aldoszx

I've been meaning to review this for the longest time now as it looks rather comprehensive and interesting:

https://www.daphile.com/

Daphile is a reasonable alternative to ROON.
I am using it but I prefer ROON.
For me, Roon is at least until now, the single one who can offer reliable multi-room capabilities, DSP, integration and so on.
I would like to have a better alternative but I could not find one !

Regarding metadata, there is not a perfect system for it, but Roon offers correct details for over 90% of my albums.

win

Daphile is a reasonable alternative to ROON.
I am using it but I prefer ROON.
For me, Roon is at least until now, the single one who can offer reliable multi-room capabilities, DSP, integration and so on.
I would like to have a better alternative but I could not find one !

Regarding metadata, there is not a perfect system for it, but Roon offers correct details for over 90% of my albums.

If you don't mind, what can Roon do that Daphile cannot do?

Top Bottom