• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do passive speakers still exist?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

One should not get oneself married to one idea: It is contextual... Things change.
From my viewpoint, I like and possess active speakers. I also believe that one will get better performance for the same cash outlay with active speakers, then comes the "buts", that depends on one's own circumstances. The context if you will.
e.g.
I live outside the USA. None of the brands I favor is represented where I live. None. You could find some shop/retailer that has a few units locally but these businesses don't have a repair facility and often are not even official dealers. IN case of issues, the items have to be sent to the USA for repair, in most cases or ... to China ... Best cases a month, worst case? .. And You the customer are responsible for shipping, handling, dealing to/with the manufacturer and of course you are also responsible for the return shipping and the dreaded customs...

I haven't had any issues with the current all, active speakers I have ( 3 x LSR308 band 2 x LSR305 + 2 x Subwoofers) but in my next round.. Going toward a better system, I am likely to go passive, DSP will likely remain the AVR + miniDSP for the active subwoofers. ANd there comes an interesting, often overlooked part. There exist passive speakers, that challenge the better actives, even when considering the added cost of amplifiers.. e.g. Revel F208. A speaker that has become increasingly interesting to me or its big brother the F328BE... These stands among the best speakers reviewed here...

My opinion thus, has changed from an "Active or Bust" to .. "it depends" . At this stage my next mains speakers are likely to be passive , except for the subwoofers and even there ...

Peace.

MKR

Major Contributor
Hi

One should not get oneself married to one idea: It is contextual... Things change.
From my viewpoint, I like and possess active speakers. I also believe that one will get better performance for the same cash outlay with active speakers, then comes the "buts", that depends on one's own circumstances. The context if you will.
e.g.
I live outside the USA. None of the brands I favor is represented where I live. None. You could find some shop/retailer that has a few units locally but these businesses don't have a repair facility and often are not even official dealers. IN case of issues, the items have to be sent to the USA for repair, in most cases or ... to China ... Best cases a month, worst case? .. And You the customer are responsible for shipping, handling, dealing to/with the manufacturer and of course you are also responsible for the return shipping and the dreaded customs...

I haven't had any issues with the current all, active speakers I have ( 3 x LSR308 band 2 x LSR305 + 2 x Subwoofers) but in my next round.. Going toward a better system, I am likely to go passive, DSP will likely remain the AVR + miniDSP for the active subwoofers. ANd there comes an interesting, often overlooked part. There exist passive speakers, that challenge the better actives, even when considering the added cost of amplifiers.. e.g. Revel F208. A speaker that has become increasingly interesting to me or its big brother the F328BE... These stands among the best speakers reviewed here...

My opinion thus, has changed from an "Active or Bust" to .. "it depends" . At this stage my next mains speakers are likely to be passive , except for the subwoofers and even there ...

Peace.
Well said. As is often the case, it depends … I think for many active is a good choice and no doubt a well designed active system provides superb performance. But to say that active is the end all be all and passive is “obsolete” is utter nonsense. And I would (strongly) argue you can obtain same or even better performance from a passive system if you do your homework, and not have all of the negatives associated with an active system.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are actives and there are actives…
The modern ones score because they work, really work in domestic rooms, enabling deep tight bass and unmatched levels of transparency compared to any passive design I have heard.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I made my system active because I don't want nests of Ls and Cs. It's a lot easier to tweak, too.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I seen the video and it is a little bit of apples and oranges. If everything is equal, drivers, electronics/amps, etc. I have no doubt active is superior. However, if you are comparing active speakers to passive speakers with better components that makes it not as clear. I think there ia a lot he left out and didn't compare that sample ATC with upgrading the active components. There are also a lot of other factors like you don't need such as amplication when driving indivudal drivers and not going through a crossover. Or does it matter if an amp doesn't do well with low impedance or low frequencies it you are driving say a tweeter which doesn't drop to low impedances. so having that pricey amp you might need for a passive speaker might simply not be needed for driving various individual drivers. I think it was biased with his point of view selling upgrades.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I seen the video and it is a little bit of apples and oranges. If everything is equal, drivers, electronics/amps, etc. I have no doubt active is superior. However, if you are comparing active speakers to passive speakers with better components that makes it not as clear. I think there ia a lot he left out and didn't compare that sample ATC with upgrading the active components. There are also a lot of other factors like you don't need such as amplication when driving indivudal drivers and not going through a crossover. Or does it matter if an amp doesn't do well with low impedance or low frequencies it you are driving say a tweeter which doesn't drop to low impedances. so having that pricey amp you might need for a passive speaker might simply not be needed for driving various individual drivers. I think it was biased with his point of view selling upgrades.
Danny isn't afraid to obscure and obfuscate. As long as he makes money.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you think ?
See below thread

Top Bottom