• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do many still buy external desktop DACs?

blanc

Hi,

Most DAPs have an internal DAC. Why do many still buy external desktop DACs instead? For better audio qualtiy? Is it very difficult to integrate good quality DACs into DAPs?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
P
Hi,

Most DAPs have an internal DAC. Why do many still buy external desktop DACs instead? For better audio qualtiy? Is it very difficult to integrate good quality DACs into DAPs?
Connectivity to other devices can be better, ability to use software on up stream device to do things like DSP, generally more flexible in terms of what you do with it, performance can be better (but no reason why this has to be so) and lastly marketing.

ol_mcdonald

For me I’ve always liked the flexibility of separate components. Always tweaking and looking for that little bit more performance in the individual components. I’ve always been of the opinion combo components sacrifice something by combining two or more functions. It’s a rabbit hole.

smitten8

Really interesting observation - just sharing my recent (subjective) experience with a newly acquired Fiio M11S and although on paper it's supposed to have lots of power in balanced output, it's still louder thru an old Hidizs S9 pro USB dongle.
Also, the background sounds quieter, clearer instrument separation and female vocals has more texture - again this is just to my ears....

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I bought an external desktop DAC/amp for a simple reason, I need enough output to power my DCA Stealth. My DAP does not cut it, it only drives the DCA Stealth to insufficient volume. Also, the DAC/amp connects to my laptop with a simple USB cable, which allows me to apply all sorts of DSP on my laptop prior to playback. DSP options for Windows is far more extensive and offer much finer control than my DAP.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the RME ADI2 PRO mainly because of its ADC, for measuring audio devices. In my mainsystem I used to use an external DAC for different digital sources before I changed to an AVP.

Top Bottom