• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why did "YOU" give up the right to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
things can be taken from you that you did not intentionally or even knowingly "give up."
The “right to repair” [hardware] was largely taken from me (and, I suspect, a great many others) by the arrival of surface mount technology.

The need to adopt Windows 10 was, for me, largely driven by Adobe's policy of supporting nothing less with their Creative Suite. When your clients require delivery of Indesign documents or drawings in Illustrator format, you have little choice.

The ability or “right” of the hobbyist to keep the software equivalent of a 1960 Mini Cooper going is admirable, but bears little relationship to the necessities of modern commerce. Sadly.

simbloke

Forum Donor
:facepalm:

Edit: That comment also says something about your ethics.
Can anyone actually build the whole OS anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if even MS have given up on ensuring they have the infrastructure required to do a successful build.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is "right to repair" the same thing as "ability to repair"? They seem to be used synonymously in this thread.

In my mind, they're different. I have the right to repair my Hyundai. I confess that I do not have the ability to do so.

chelgrian

Can anyone actually build the whole OS anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if even MS have given up on ensuring they have the infrastructure required to do a successful build.

It depends how you define 'entire OS' but yes it is possible for MS to rebuild an installable image from scratch and it has been done relatively recently in order to support ARM64 windows. This doesn't include a load of binaries which are bundled with the OS but aren't really part of the OS.

Build processes bitrot fast and I suspect MS have lost the ability to build any version of Windows they are not actively supporting.

Other OSes are much easier. I can personally do FreeBSD, Debian Linux (this requires some faffing when doing a new architecture due to circular dependencies with some of the core packages) and Android OpenSource.

chelgrian

And CSS bugs and image rendering bugs cannot alter, delete or encrypt my OS either
(or my data)

Your misplaced faith is quite endearing.

Ultimately any OS provided protections can be bypassed. If I can execute code at all even with no privilege then eventually I can RowHammer a bit flip in a page table to grant me RW access to something useful.

However on something as ancient as XP you don't need to bother as there are enough local escalation exploits that would allow me to execute code in ring0 and bypass anything implemented using the OS.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some people enjoy tinkering with vintage gear. The rest of us are lazy, unethical consumerists.

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

All talk and no action

If any of you think you can wreck my XP Box using network exploits, then DO SO!

How many more years must I wait?

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

This thread has now got to the "don't you know who I am stage".

Well no, we don't.

I am the Original (the one and only) Bullwinkle J Moose

Apparently I'm a Legend and a National Treasure
(a REAL American Hero)

Hint: I'm all over the Internet

Seek and ye shall find!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom