• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why bother to review DACs and amps?

100rounddrum

Just get the SMSL SP200, which is audibly transparent anyway, and you have your endgame DAC/amp combo. Has enough power to drive any headphone short of electro-stats.

Why bother checking out other stuff, if we're talking purely about sound quality?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just get the SMSL SP200, which is audibly transparent anyway, and you have your endgame DAC/amp combo. Has enough power to drive any headphone short of electro-stats.

Why bother checking out other stuff, if we're talking purely about sound quality?

Umm, pretty sure SMSL 1) isn’t a Dac, 2) isn’t a preamplifier, and 3) isn’t a power amplifier. It is a headphone amp. Great if you want to power headphones, but most of us here have speakers. Did you have a real point, or just a slow Saturday night?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Among equally performant devices, people go by looks, price, support, ergonomics, etc.

Besides, if I stop testing, I am sure performance of future devices will slide backward.

jae

Major Contributor
What if I just want to one device to be preamp for active speakers or a power amp in addition to a headphone amp? What if I think the slant looks ugly? What if I want a more portable product because I don't listen to headphones at my desk? What if I want a better built product with a better quality or reliable volume control? What if I change headphones frequently and every time I unplug them it moves the product on my desk? What if I want a product that matches my other ones? What if my cables are terminated differently than the outputs offered? What if I want a product I can use with two headphones simultaneously? What if I want to use two balanced headphones simultaneously? What if the product has a 1 year warranty and mine fails after 2 years? What if there's a product that has similar or even better specs that solve any of these problems?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No. They can get noisy with sensitive IEMs. Also on other aspects, the look, the size, the feel, the volume pot all are valid aspects when considering a new amp. Everyone will have different opinions on those aspects.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Among equally performant devices, people go by looks, price, support, ergonomics, etc.

Besides, if I stop testing, I am sure performance of future devices will slide backward.
Gimme the Asgard amp/dac review :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

And you'll have to engage with family and the real world more. Not recommended.

TomB

The single most important thing in my decision to use this or that component in my system is how it sounds in my system. I really appreciate accurate measurements. Measurements seem to be the most important piece of information in my decision making process. However for me, it has always come down to the final outcome.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I think the only reasons are to ensure manufacturers don’t backpedal and begin creating the crap that used to pass as audiophile quality before Amir started testing and after that I’m looking for features. I’m still saving for an RME ADI-2 (v.2) because of the built in parametric eq.

NDRQ

There are manufacturers who naturally making good devices, but sadly, most of the companies are not like that, so they need to know that someone checking their work so they cant get away with lazy audiofool marketing or cheap engineering.

Top Bottom