• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Why bass management makes my life tedious

Soundmixer

I guess the technical wizards at Disney think that the only people with Atmos capable systems have 50" flat panel displays (Dolby vision/ HDR10 capable).... Not very cinematic if you ask me

I am pretty sure no streaming service knows what size panel or projector screen size, or whether it is a panel or projector streaming their content to consumers.

Bartl007

I am pretty sure no streaming service knows what size panel or projector screen size, or whether it is a panel or projector streaming their content to consumers.
I'm sorry for not being clear, my point was that every other streaming service (other than Disney plus) has figured out how to pass object audio (Atmos) content via HDMI WITHOUT requiring a display that supports high dynamic range (HDR 10/Dolby Vision).

From Nvidia shield customer support:
"ATMOS is only streamed with 4k content.
DIsney+ does not support 4k SDR content today, they only support 4k HDR/DV streams. This means you will only get 4k and you will only get ATMOS if you have a 4k HDR/DV display today"

For all intents and purposes, this means anyone with a projection based (non HDR) home entertainment system cannot receive Atmos audio via Disney plus

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So that would also be true of my plasma TV then. But how does the streaming service know what TV I have? Everything goes through the AVR.

Soundmixer

I'm sorry for not being clear, my point was that every other streaming service (other than Disney plus) has figured out how to pass object audio (Atmos) content via HDMI WITHOUT requiring a display that supports high dynamic range (HDR 10/Dolby Vision).

I don't think you understand what Disney is actually doing. They know how to pass Atmos without requiring HDR or DV support, the technical tools are there. They are "packaging" Atmos with HDR and DV as a marketing tool, it is not a technical limitation. If everyone else knows how to do it, Disney does as well.

DIsney+ does not support 4k SDR content today, they only support 4k HDR/DV streams. This means you will only get 4k and you will only get ATMOS if you have a 4k HDR/DV display today"

This is purposeful by Disney, not a limation Disney has with their app.

Soundmixer

So that would also be true of my plasma TV then. But how does the streaming service know what TV I have? Everything goes through the AVR.

They can ping your display through the AVR via HDMI and find out. Your streaming device does the same thing when you set it up.

Last edited:
OP
A

audio2920

They are "packaging" Atmos with HDR and DV as a marketing tool, it is not a technical limitation.

I'm not sure I follow. I get that it would be relatively easy to put Atmos on almost any video if they wanted to.

But Disney+ doesn't have a higher subscription tier for HDR/4K, right? How does it benefit their marketing strategy to reserve Atmos for those viewers?

I've never managed to get Atmos out of Disney+ either; never looked in to it but as my display isn't HDR/DV it seems likely this is why.

Soundmixer

I'm not sure I follow. I get that it would be relatively easy to put Atmos on almost any video if they wanted to.

Correct. The last four words are critical.

But Disney+ doesn't have a higher subscription tier for HDR/4K, right? How does it benefit their marketing strategy to reserve Atmos for those viewers?

They have programming in SD and 4K/HDR. The programming in SD does not have access to the Atmos stream, but if available in 4K/HDR the access is granted. This takes me to the answer to the last part.

I've never managed to get Atmos out of Disney+ either; never looked in to it but as my display isn't HDR/DV it seems likely this is why.

If you wanted Atmos on Disney+, you would have to purchase a new set or get a streamer that supports it. Disney has been known in past years for using its content to help CE manufacturers sell more products. Their strong support of Bluray disc help Sony sell a lot of PS3 in the beginning.

OP
A

audio2920

Disney has been known in past years for using its content to help CE manufacturers sell more products. Their strong support of Bluray disc help Sony sell a lot of PS3 in the beginning.

Interesting, I'd not thought of that angle. I wonder then, if they monetise that leverage somehow.

Top Bottom