• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

GeorgeWalk

I have a Technics SL-1500MKII turntable in my audio shelf. I never play it. Vinyl has high background/hiss, pops & clicks, and low dynamic range. After listening to the same music on quality, modern equipment vinyl is disappointing, at best. I have kept because it is nostalgic. It looks nice on the shelf.

Hypnotoad

I have kept because it is nostalgic

That's why the majority of vinyl lovers hang on to their turntables, it takes them back to their younger days where they frequented record shops and bought home the latest new release for a spin. And they can also own those turntables now that they lusted over at that time. Of course they don't sound as good as a good quality Cd or digital file, but it's not just about the music. It's the same reason someone wants a restored E-Type jag when a new sports car can outperform it in every way.

Robin L

Master Contributor
A highly opinionated article, to say the least:

"Listening to records is the penultimate middle finger to the digital age; one where human beings text family and friends in the same room rather than talk to them, and where people flip through music selections on their smartphones with the same level of attention that they display when selecting a brand of cereal at the grocery store. Listening to music on a turntable requires paying attention to the process of playback, and the music itself; something that is seemingly quite difficult for most people these days."

Provocative comments aside, the rest is about the ever-pricier resto biz:

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/01/14/why-audiophiles-shop-for-vintage-turntables/

(Full disclosure: my TT happens to be a restored vintage one, but not one of the brands mentioned in this article)
Puff piece for Vinyl Nirvana. Not that I've got anything against them, but this is like one of those publicity profiles in Parade magazine.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
It's the same reason someone wants a restored E-Type jag when a new sports car can outperform it in every way.

How about the business established around putting Chevy drive trains in Jaguars? Makes sense to me.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's why the majority of vinyl lovers hang on to their turntables, it takes them back to their younger days where they frequented record shops and bought home the latest new release for a spin. And they can also own those turntables now that they lusted over at that time. Of course they don't sound as good as a good quality Cd or digital file, but it's not just about the music. It's the same reason someone wants a restored E-Type jag when a new sports car can outperform it in every way.
I have a turntable in order to play the records in my collection.

Zog

The reason I went for vintage turntables - Technics 1200 series - is because they can be brought to better than new quality for relatively little dough. The bearing, platter, mat, feet, and plinth can all be improved inexpensively. The tonearm and power supply cost a bit more.

Hypnotoad

I have a turntable in order to play the records in my collection.

That's certainly one use for them. ;)

How about the business established around putting Chevy drive trains in Jaguars? Makes sense to me.

That's heresy, why would you replace a triple SU carburetted long stroke six cylinder engine that needs constant tuning with a high performance fuel injected Chevy V8?

raif71

Major Contributor

"Listening to records is the penultimate middle finger to the digital age; one where human beings text family and friends in the same room rather than talk to them, and where people flip through music selections on their smartphones with the same level of attention that they display when selecting a brand of cereal at the grocery store. Listening to music on a turntable requires paying attention to the process of playback, and the music itself; something that is seemingly quite difficult for most people these days."

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/01/14/why-audiophiles-shop-for-vintage-turntables/

(Full disclosure: my TT happens to be a restored vintage one, but not one of the brands mentioned in this article)
Like it or not to operate the turntable, digital is required. Aren't our fingers called digit(al)? Haha :facepalm:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
That's heresy, why would you replace a triple SU carburetted long stroke six cylinder engine that needs constant tuning

Jim Williams gave a fun talk at the ISSCC conference on cutting the damping fluid in SU carburetors as they age. A true analog art.

0bs3rv3r

That's heresy, why would you replace a triple SU carburetted long stroke six cylinder engine that needs constant tuning with a high performance fuel injected Chevy V8?

Strange isn't it. How I miss tuning my SU carbies

Newk Yuler

It smells like Gwyneth Paltrow's vagina, not some run of the mill vagina. Just think how much access to her vagina smell would previously cost? Millions? And apparently her vagina smells like bergamot, something I've never encountered in my life with less than A list celebrity vaginas. I think it's a steal.

JFC. Eww. I wouldn't pay for anything less than Ana de Armas' ...

There must be very few instances where using the word "vagina" is appropriate in ASR. What you get when you have a bunch of male audio nerds hanging out together. :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the Rest in Peace department: Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor is no more. The store... not Jerry (although the owner evidently shut it down due to health issues). Many will know The Needle Doctor as probably the most famous phono cartridge retailer, keeping the faith alive during the lean years. Article said he ran it over 40 years. I bought several from him along the way. Prices were mostly manufacturer's list, but he was a good guy to deal with.

Due to increasing prices, I've gone direct from Japan (a couple of Denon 103 for $150.00, and an AT MC for small dollars). Denon always made decent cartridges, but their line has lately shrunk and prices have risen. A DL-110 is now three hundred and fifty dollars. A few years ago a little over a bill.

Not only that, Denon no longer offers trade in for retipping, making your purchase a one-time deal. Speaking of... at least two men work the on-line marketplace offering retipping service. For a lark I had a DL-160 retipped with a .02x.07 diamond. I think I was charged a Franklin + Ulysses Grant for the work. Not sure how he does it, but as far as I can tell it plays fine. If and when my 103 needs it, I will likely send it in for an elliptical diamond to replace the ball-point pen it now has.

usersky

Forum Donor
I do not shop for a turntable, I rediscovered my Revox B790 in a closed, put there some 25 years ago and forgot about it. Recapped (after some smoke went out of it on first usage after, some dreadful Frako capacitors notorious for bad smell ;) After that I just tried to find a new turntable that would be acceptable for me as user experience having that vintage little brown darling. Not a single option by far. May my case be rare being used with such an unusual vintage turntable but really no new alternative for me. Looking at new turntables in the process I can easily see why one would pic a serious old semi or full automatic turntable instead of jokes that I see advertised nowadays for hundreds of euros or more.

PS: my comment was in reply to the title of the thread not to the linked article.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I have only three record players, Dual, NAD and Thorens 145 with Hanze hifi tuned motor, but only the last one active. I have still all my LPs, of whichsome are rare and not yet digitized. No intention to upgrade decks, cartridges or RIAAs. And one cassette deck too, Yamaha.

I've spent some time measuring rumble, cartridge response etc. with Audacity and REW, interesting!

cale 5 vinyl rip raw.jpg

Top Bottom