• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why aren't we pushing for more 4-8 channel DACS for a quality Stereo setup

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They won't be synced if you use 4 separate sources, but if the SPDIF signals have the same master clock at the source, they will be synced. In my case, I am using an 4 out (8 channel) SPDIF source so it's fine. It probably wouldn't work at all w/ USB inputs unless you messed around with the I2S extender and added a separate DAC board with all the necessary noise rejection that comes along w/ it.

I think a solution like this is about 1/2 the price of the Okto DAC (although will be less performant) and will do well with standalone DSP. For PC-based DSP with multichannel USB output, I like a lot of the solutions proposed here.
What 8 channel SPDIF source? Nanodigi?

Michael

jtatknox

DDRC-88D

jtatknox

BTW, followed your recent build based on the DIYINHK DAC. Very nice and definitely the way I would go for a USB source like a Raspberry Pi.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, followed your recent build based on the DIYINHK DAC. Very nice and definitely the way I would go for a USB source like a Raspberry Pi.

Just my opinion but I think the Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen mentioned a few posts earlier is a better choice than the DIYINHK at a similar price point in almost all cases. Measured performance is similar but with the Focusrite you have way more input functionality (USB, SPDIF, ADAT and analog), balanced outputs, a completed case and way more benign turn on/off pop (DIYINHK actually blew a woofer in one of my test speakers). Only reason I would consider DIYINHK is if I absolutely needed a smaller form factor.

Michael

Offwidth

First off, what does the pushing is demand. While tweaky audiophiles might be in search of ultimate SINAD, the real demand for surround sound is in home theater. And I would gather the requirements of home theater differ from the usual audiophile concerns in that more attention goes to image quality than sound quality. "Good enough" for home theater looks like your typical AVR. And surround sound never really caught on with "audiophiles". The LP is the current market success. Blu-Ray Audio is yet another surround failure, along with SACD and DVD-Audio. There really isn't that much of a demand for surround music.

There are tons of demand for surround. Every new car has it. Now that Apple just added spatial audio support to phones, all Carplay systems will support it soon enough.

Keened

Forum Donor
Can't use the USB input for PC/Mac/Linux USB input , correct?

That would be really great if you could. I see it comes with IR remote control as an option.
You could feed it through a U-DIO8. I'm sure they thought of packaging them together into one product but you'd just lose additional flexibility for almost no cost savings.

JRS

Major Contributor
I want to pose the question here, even though it has probably been asked and answered a dozen times elsewhere: Is it impossible to put together a near SOTA system using a HTPC? In my case near SOTA (for now) would be 8 channels of audio driving tri-amped full range mains plus 2 SW's. I'm planning on using a PC for streaming and convolution, and was looking at one of the EVGA int cards with damn good specs and which uses a second PCI back board so that all the outputs are on the two plates.

Unavailable at the moment, but could likely find one on EBAY and with second back board be about $350.

The published specs are stellar, I am not sure how much of that would be compromised using an off the shelf NUC with a large SSD for all my audio files--and should I look for a better power supply than stock?.

But the advantage is that everything would be done in one box: the streaming (probably Amazon and Spotify along with Internet Radio for now), setting up the DSP filters in Audiolense, and using whatever convolver is inexpensive and bullet proof stable. Sure balanced outs be nice, but I'm hoping that I can set this up so that fan noise is not a factor, and the amps will be close by to the PC. I am also assuming that if the computer is across the room I can set up a tablet as a streaming interface and volume control.

I am sort of at wits end with the dozens of ways of doing this and trying to find a way forward that is better spec wise and w/o the taps and other limitations of a miniDSP device.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir reviewed it -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...u-audio-pro-review-internal-sound-card.19728/

Not SOTA and nowhere near the 123 dB dynamic range spec but overall not bad. Noise is just a bit worse than the Ultralite Mk5 but distortion is significantly worse. I think noise is the more important of the two so I’ll take low noise with higher distortion any day. It also looks like some op amp rolling can improve the distortion. Limited output voltage is a bit disappointing and I personally wouldn’t touch a DAC with unbalanced outputs (especially connected to a computer) but YMMV. I am completely unfamiliar with PCs these days but seems like you wouldn’t be able to fit it in a smaller form factor HTPC.

I say give it a try, worse case you need to switch to a USB DAC.

Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: JRS

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprised with all the MOTU talk in this thread, no one has mentioned the AO24? I did find some 3rd party measurements at one point, they weren't impressive but in-line w MOTU's published spec so at least you know what you're getting (looking at you, manufacturers with specs like "THD 0.05% at normal listening levels")

Also, I briefly tested out Mac's Aggregate Device and was happy with the result. I beat it up a bit, mostly as a curiosity, by running a Meizu non-Pro and Topping D10 via USB plus a Hidizs S8 via USB over Ethernet server attached via power line over Ethernet and I couldn't hear any sync issues playing back a stereo source through all simultaneously.

Obviously a slightly higher cost barrier, but for this use case you can easily go back 2-3 generations and get some used/refurb with a limited warranty.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 24Ao looks to be a pretty good option. In my experience MOTU's specs are usually pretty accurate.

They specify 123 db(A) dynamic range at 20 dBu (7.75 V) output. Assuming a relatively flat noise distribution that 123 dB(A) would be about 120 dB unweighted. Knocking it down for more apples to apples comparison I would expect about 114 dB dynamic range at 4 V and 108 dB dynamic range at 2 V. They spec THD+N of -110 dB at -1 dBFS (6.9 V output), I would guess this might improve a bit if you measured at 4 V due to reduced distortion but you are never going to get better than 114 dB due to noise.

So all in all analog performance is just a step behind the Ultralite Mk5 and of course the price is higher. I would be worried that there might be issues with Linux due to the number of output channels but that is an issue specific to us using a RPi for DSP.

I have not had good luck with the aggregate device functionality with my Mac. I tried connecting 2 identical DACs (Schiit Modius) and measured the outputs and they were NOT in sync. Definitely did not seem acceptable for DIY active speaker applications. Maybe other DACs work better but at a minimum I would want to make sure that I had the ability to measure timing differences between the DACs to verify they are synced.

Michael

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have done quite a bit more testing and listening, the Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen is definitely a good option for RPi based active setups using CamillaDSP. As mentioned previously it works very well with Ubuntu Server 21.10. I did set up a very basic channel routing in another computer prior to using on Linux. I hear that more recent Linux kernels (5.13+) have a built in mixer that will allow for channel assignment in Linux but I have not tested that.

I made some basic measurements with my Ultralite Mk5 as an ADC and although performance is not SOTA but acceptable. In the following measurements I compare the Ultralite Mk5 and the 18i20 2nd gen. All measurements are done using 96 kHz input/output sample rates. In general all channels had similar performance (within 1-2 dB). I should note that the Ultralite Mk5 is not an AP so I would not take these numbers as absolutes but more as a relative comparison. For example Amir measured the Ultralite Mk5 SINAD at -113 dB at 4 V but I can only get -105 dB as a result of ADC noise limitations.

18i20, -102.5 dB THD+N at 1 kHz at full scale output, 4.86 V, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163541

Ultralite Mk5, -106.6 dB THD+N at 1 kHz at 4.86 V, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163542

18i20, -101.2 dB THD+N at 1 kHz at 4 V, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163543

Ultralite Mk5, -105.3 dB THD+N at 1 kHz at 4 V, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163544

18i20, 30.1 uV residual noise, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163545

Ultralite Mk5, 19.1 uV residual noise, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163546

18i20, -100.4 dB IMD, 60 Hz + 7000 Hz at 3.9V
View attachment 163547

Ultralite Mk5, -112.8 dB IMD, 60 Hz + 7000 Hz at 3.9V
View attachment 163548

18i20, -102.3 dB IMD, 250 Hz + 8000 Hz at 3.9V
View attachment 163549

Ultralite Mk5, -110.8 dB IMD, 250 Hz + 8000 Hz at 3.9V
View attachment 163552

18i20, -85.2 dB IMD, 19000 Hz + 20000 Hz at 3.3 VView attachment 163551

Ultralite Mk5, -111.5 dB IMD, 19000 Hz + 20000 Hz at 3.3V
View attachment 163550

18i20, THD vs Level, 1 kHz, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163555

Ultralite Mk5, THD vs Level, 1 kHz, 20 Hz to 22000 Hz
View attachment 163556

THD vs frequency, 4 V, 48000 Hz bandwidth
View attachment 163558

Frequency response at 4 V
View attachment 163553

Ultralite Mk5 is clearly quite a bit better than the 18i20 in terms of noise and distortion. Noise performance of the 18i20 is still acceptable for near field but there is a very slight hiss. It is not an audible concern but the 18i20 clearly has some noise shaping going on and you can see the residual noise rise above 25 kHz.

When restarting the RPi with the 18i20 connected there are a few ticks / pops that are not terribly loud but a bit annoying, Ultralite Mk5 does not have any such noises. The 18i20 ticks / pops can be avoided by implementing a trigger with a Bobwire DAT1 so that the amps stay off until the 18i20 receives a signal. Using the Bobwire with the 18i20 is a bit more difficult as it only has ADAT output so a SPDIF to TOSLINK converter is needed, the Ultralite Mk5 can switch between ADAT and TOSLINK so no need for a converter.

Both the Ultralite Mk5 and the 18i20 have a volume knob that can control all output channels, I prefer the 18i20 knob as it has great feel and you can visually see the volume position from the knob. With the Ultralite Mk5 it will only show volume when you turn the knob.

The Ultralite Mk5 has output meters which you may find cool or annoying, the 18i20 will show no level as the meters on the front panel are only for the input levels.

Overall I think the Ultralite Mk5 is the way to go if you can spare the extra $250. The form factor is much smaller, it has better input/output options (ADAT / TOSLINK), better analog performance and no weird tick / pops. However as a budget 10 channel DAC the Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen is very hard to beat.

Michael

One comment I need to add to the discussion around the Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen is that the noise floor is quite high. I noted hiss when listening but this was with my LXmini setup which is not very sensitive. I made some measurements in this thread and the noise is worse than a miniDSP 2X4HD. With more sensitive speakers I imagine hiss is quite bad.

Michael

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I had missed the AO24 - it's certainly got potential, particularly for Mac and Windows users. Other Motu AVB models have had a few problems with linux compatibility, varying with firmware version, which is why I was pleasantly surprised with reports that the Ultralite-mk5 works without problems. Notably the 8A and Ultralite AVB have suffered from audio meant for one channel suddenly appearing on a different channel when using USB - not ideal when it's being used as an active crossover! Sending audio to it over the network via AVB seemed to me more reliable last time I looked at the reports, but that's only possible if you've got a compatible network port which the Pi and many PCs don't.

JRS

Major Contributor
Amir reviewed it -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...u-audio-pro-review-internal-sound-card.19728/

Not SOTA and nowhere near the 123 dB dynamic range spec but overall not bad. Noise is just a bit worse than the Ultralite Mk5 but distortion is significantly worse. I think noise is the more important of the two so I’ll take low noise with higher distortion any day. It also looks like some op amp rolling can improve the distortion. Limited output voltage is a bit disappointing and I personally wouldn’t touch a DAC with unbalanced outputs (especially connected to a computer) but YMMV. I am completely unfamiliar with PCs these days but seems like you wouldn’t be able to fit it in a smaller form factor HTPC.

I say give it a try, worse case you need to switch to a USB DAC.

Michael
Fair enough, and god my brain is gone--reading that review a bit back is what made me think along those lines:facepalm:. Just frustrated with the issue beneath the whole content of this thread, to wit, why isn't there a high quality product intended for this (my) market. Thanks for the advice--it may be tossing money better spent on a MOTU or Focusrite. There's an owner of each on this very thread so at least I have a place to turn for help. :)

Music1969

Major Contributor
All we need is @MC_RME to add IR remote control to one of their multichannel interfaces and it's game over in the search.

I was a bit sad the recently Fireface UCX II didn't include IR remote for volume control.

Or UFX II for 8 channels.

The need for expensive and hard to get Okto DAC8 or exasound would vanish (both their multichannel DACs come with IR remote for volume).

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The UCX II and UFX II can both be connected directly to the ARC remote as I understand it. If RME are interested in this market segment they could make a dongle that uses the same protocol but uses an IR sensor and remote rather than the physical controls. Alternatively if the interface specs are published (or someone does some reverse engineering) then DIY is an option.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The UCX II and UFX II can both be connected directly to the ARC remote as I understand it.
Yes but who wants a wired remote 5 meters back from the speakers?

Hence my comments about IR remote (like exasound, Okto).

If RME are interested in this market segment they could make a dongle that uses the same protocol but uses an IR sensor and remote rather than the physical controls.

Yes would be a fantastic accessory.

Music1969

Major Contributor
RME ADI-2 PRO latest firmware update allow remote control to adjust volume of the 4 balanced outputs (including 2 x headphone outs).

So if 4 channels is all you need, great solution.

We meed an 8 channel solution from RME though.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Yes but who wants a wired remote 5 meters back from the speakers?
I wasn't suggesting you use it as a wired remote. I was pointing out that the interfaces already have a port that can be used to control volume, so they don't need to change anything on the interfaces for them to work with the IR remote receiver dongle I was proposing.

Top Bottom