• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why aren't there more honest and objective reviewers like ASR and Amir?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that the the word idiots have taken over the industry and are making a killing from writing weasel words on a website that don't really tell you anything about a product.
Also, reviewers use the same words and (in my opinion, stupid) catchphrases. How many times have you read the words “_________ done right” in the title of any article? I think that 20 years ago, a Stereophile issue was published with a cover tagline “Digital Done Right!” and to this day, every month there is at least one review with the phrase “________ done right” in the title or tagline. It’s a meaningless phrase, and it’s not clever—its overuse and repetition is annoying.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was definitely not the last time but it's not likely that you are closely monitoring the situation.
The last such incident I recall was when a neutral review of Totem Forrests caused Totem to suspend advertising in Stereophile and to stop sending review units to them for years.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody mention Archimago yet?

ASR is the best new site to happen in internet-based audio in a loooong time.

And I'm also a big fan of Archimago, especially his take-downs of nonsense, but also he has a nice philosophical take on things, which appeals to me.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR is the best new site to happen in internet-based audio in a loooong time.

And I'm also a big fan of Archimago, especially his take-downs of nonsense, but also he has a nice philosophical take on things, which appeals to me.
He’s also a super nice guy, very helpful and always willing to talk about his findings.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another forum to consider is Hydrogen Audio (www.hydrogenaud.io). I used to read it years ago and at the time it was objective and very technical. I haven’t poked my nose in there recently, though.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This post from a decade ago when I used to lurk—and occasionally participate—there is a good summation of what the place used to be like. I have no idea what it is like now.

dadregga

I'm not sure Amir or any other human could be called objective, but focusing on reproducible and comparable results is certainly helpful for understanding, charting and predicting subjective preferences!

As far as honesty goes - I don't think any of the other reviewers are necessarily intentionally misleading anyone, cackling like Snidely Whiplash as they do so, they just don't distrust their own brain as much as people here tend to.

All of us a really good at self-deception. It's a fundamental species trait, possibly even an evolutionarily beneficial one.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This post from a decade ago when I used to lurk—and occasionally participate—there is a good summation of what the place used to be like. I have no idea what it is like now.

Still a decent place overall but you do need a very thick skin to hang out there.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still a decent place overall but you do need a very thick skin to hang out there.
Yes, got yelled at once for stating I could hear the difference between the DSD and Redbook layers of SACD’s, when listening on headphones at least. Several members were incredulous, to put it mildly.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, reviewers use the same words and (in my opinion, stupid) catchphrases. How many times have you read the words “_________ done right” in the title of any article? I think that 20 years ago, a Stereophile issue was published with a cover tagline “Digital Done Right!” and to this day, every month there is at least one review with the phrase “________ done right” in the title or tagline. It’s a meaningless phrase, and it’s not clever—its overuse and repetition is annoying.
Speak of the devil! Here is the latest example of “______ Done Right” from our friends at PS Audio. Last month, it was Steve Gutenberg (I think) who pulled the tagline out of the trash. I wonder who it will be next month?

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speak of the devil! Here is the latest example of “______ Done Right” from our friends at PS Audio. Last month, it was Steve Gutenberg (I think) who pulled the tagline out of the trash. I wonder who it will be next month?

And here is Emotiva!

I sense a rabbit hole of mediocrity approaching.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Pretty sure that's what is said about us over here.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is the same reason people purchase a Bentley, Rolex, Brioni suits, and Tiffany. They aren't interested in the best quality, they aren't interested in the best performance, they aren't interested in value...
Hoping not to go off-topic but I disagree with those examples. All of those offer objective qualities. They may be more expensive than you hope them to be but you simply cannot say a Bentley or a Rolex is not the best quality within their niche.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you simply cannot say a Bentley or a Rolex is not the best quality within their niche.
This seems to be heading towards a No True Scotsman fallacy. Rolexes are far from the most accurate and Bentleys far from the most agile or powerful (to say nothing of efficient). I understand those qualities are not “their niche”, but does every object ultimately exist in a niche of one?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes this forum is rare. On of the topics i like is Class D amp long term reliability. So first we measure equipment than we examen how the amp is build which componenten used how it is assembled than we form a conclusion about it reliabilty. Extreem transparant. But you need al lot of time, knoledge an experience to take this path. This is what lacking in most other forums.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand those qualities are not “their niche”, but does every object ultimately exist in a niche of one?
Yes. That is what makes them desirable. Otherwise you buy by the kilo or sack full...

Why do you think Rolex increased their sales after Apple Watch, a watch that is as accurate as the best Atomic clock, introduced?

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you think Rolex increased their sales after Apple Watch, a watch that is as accurate as the best Atomic clock, introduced?
Because of a non sequitur?

Top Bottom