• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why aren't there more honest and objective reviewers like ASR and Amir?

tuga

Major Contributor
Heck yes.

There are professional audio reviewers.

I don't think anyone is getting rich off it, but it is the primary job for some journalists.

Some get 6-figure gear on extended loan or the option to buy tested equipment for peanuts. It should count as revenue. I pay tax for driving a company car which costs less new than B&W's 800D3 speakers...

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some get 6-figure gear on extended loan or the option to buy tested equipment for peanuts. It should count as revenue. I pay tax for driving a company car which costs less new than B&W's 800D3 speakers...

Yes, I know of at least one reviewer who sells the equipment on the secondary market for a nice profit.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... They still can't even decide if Amir is NwAvGuy, the bride in his avatar, or both.
Having met Amir in person, I'm sure he won't mind me definitively stating that he is not the bride in his avatar! ;)

Back to the OT, most audio reviewers seem genuine. So either they do believe in what they hear/say and provide their genuine opinions, or they are skilled charlatans. In reality a mix of both, and the ratio varies from one to the other.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having met Amir in person, I'm sure he won't mind me definitively stating that he is not the bride in his avatar! ;)

He still might be NwAvGuy. Does he have dScope tucked a in the corner of his garage? ;)

MRC01

Major Contributor
I don't know about that, but my guess is they are different people. NwAvGuy struck me as more of a strict EE, where Amir seems more of a systems/software engineer with strong background in audio.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about that, but my guess is they are different people. NwAvGuy struck me as more of a strict EE, where Amir seems more of a systems/software engineer with strong background in audio.

Yeah. It's pretty obvious they are different people just by the style of their write ups.

I just like making fun of silly conspiracy theories, even if this one is just overblown forum drama.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The epitome of hot dog science was the Presto "Hot Dogger". :cool:

1601066832942.png

Yes, these insidious devices electrocute poor, defenseless hot dogs.
Unless, of course, there's a phone call from the Governor in time.

Doesn't even matter if they're kosher or -- you know -- the other kind.

1601066932123.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

View attachment 84802

View attachment 84807

What's the culinary upside to electrocuting hot dogs?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 84802

View attachment 84807

The spikes worry me more......

OP
N

noiseangel

My Father used to call hot dogs OFFAL TUBES. 55 years later I think he is right.

OP
N

noiseangel

Some reviewers make a living off reviewing?

Some reviewers make a living off reviewing? You bet.
Yes there is one living like a King in Australia from writing lame reviews on equipment that favour the vendor. Even runs his own forum like a dictator and crushes any dissenting views that scrutinize his paying vendors. Owns two AMG mercs, the top of the line audio equipment from Harman International, home renovations plus including dedicated home theatre room and doesn’t own or use one piece of test equipment ! Even boasts about his acquisitions on his own forum !! And all of this from the proceeds of writing weasel words about audio equipment on a website. Go figure !!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
In the middelage it was very dangerous to question the beliefe systems of others. You could easaly end up on a pyre. Today this changed a little but not complete. ;)

OP
N

noiseangel

Hot Dog (Offal Tubes) contents

**** 22%
Stomach 14%
Liver 10%
Tongue 25%
Heart 20%
Kidney 45%
Actual meat content. Resolution of the detector not sufficient to detect any.

I know don't point out the obvious. It adds up to more than 100%. Scary huh?

Sort of resembles an audio review.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a refreshing change it is to come here after reading the diatribe on other reviewing websites which always give favourable reviews no matter what they review or how bad it really is. There is never any detailed measurements or objective testing on the products and they always sing their praises. Its like the actual review is being lead by the vendor of the equipment.

Its as though they are being paid to review it in that way so they can continue to receive money for so called sponsorship's, when in actual fact it is just regurgitated manufacturer advertising blurbs for products that don't cut the mustard like what PS Audio has been exposed for by Amir. When he does expose this he cops crap which is totally unjustified when measurements DON'T LIE.

Im sure many people have bought products that have been reviewed by websites such as stereo***au and others only to come here and find out how crappy they really are. At least comments here are NOT CENSORED or members banned for having an opinion. If something is bad it should be called.

Takes a lot more effort to be evidence-based and coherent. I wrote an article to talk about the Harman curve for a headphone website. Took me over a month to account for everything, have citations in place for each claim, and communicate everything as accurately as possible. That's not an acceptable pace for audio websites.

Top Bottom