• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Aren't There Female Audiophiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaspheme

You said:

It is the "women on average have better prioritization" that I contest.

Speaking of shoes/handbags, in particular, collecting numerous shoes and handbags - many go unused, isn't something that I would classify as "better prioritization". Whenever I have asked why, the usual response follows "it's Chanel" or "They're Louboutins" etc. I have never heard women dwell on technical details or make a passing comparative analysis on any of their gear.

I would not classify a superficial, status-oriented approach to any subject as "having a better prioritization", but rather showing a lack of insight or knowledge in a particular field, which is not something to admire or aspire to.
The question of overall prioritisation would depend in part on relative quanta of expenditure on each prioritised item/category, not on whether individual items/categories were purchased based on aesthetic versus technical or other criteria.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not what I said.

Men and women both have emotional investment in their hobbies, but men focus much more on the gear.

This is because the Ooogs of the ancient world focused on their arrowheads and spear heads, they survived and had many children.

The Thargs of the ancient world neglected their stone tools and died, or had so little food that they had few kids.

Women mostly gathered rather than hunted, so the above did not apply. Instead, women attained higher status in their societies by working up social hierarchies, just like in hunter/gatherer societies today, and in primate troops.

Your DAC is just a stone cold substitute.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
You said:

It is the "women on average have better prioritization" that I contest.

Go to youtube and find me a "knife sharpening" video made by a woman. Go ahead. Or try "lock picking".

There is no reason to have the sharpest knife that has ever existed, or to own the most unpickable lock. But many men are obsessed with it. And it seems exclusively men.

I've read someone wise say that "take any activity, make up a scoring system for people to compete against, and men will flock to it".

Us men are bonkers in the head. Women too, in different ways. But at least they are not spending hours trying to perfectly sharpen a knife with a smooth stone.

H-713

Mansplaining is still the best answer. This thread is nearly a pergect example.
Precisely.

As for the owning a handbag because of the brand on it, I'll counter that with a few brand names that should make people reconsider the idea that this isn't insanely common amongst the "super practical" men.

-Tektronix
-HP
-Other vintage test equipment in general
-Western Electric.
-Neve
-API
-Starrett
-Harken (sailing crowd will know what I'm talking about)

Every hobby/interest has examples of this. Nobody is 100% rational all the time and nearly everyone would desire to own something because of what it is or who made it rather than just its functionality. Maybe it's a painting by a great master (that isn't all that attractive), maybe it's a tool, maybe it's a fashion accessory.

tomchris

Precisely.

As for the owning a handbag because of the brand on it, I'll counter that with a few brand names that should make people reconsider the idea that this isn't insanely common amongst the "super practical" men.

-Tektronix
-HP
-Other vintage test equipment in general
-Western Electric.
-Neve
-API
-Starrett
-Harken (sailing crowd will know what I'm talking about)

Every hobby/interest has examples of this. Nobody is 100% rational all the time and nearly everyone would desire to own something because of what it is or who made it rather than just its functionality. Maybe it's a painting by a great master (that isn't all that attractive), maybe it's a tool, maybe it's a fashion accessory.

Yes, every hobby/interest has examples of people owning various things because of emotional consumption rather than a rational decision.
My beef is with "women have better prioritization". Nobody is 100% rational/emotional all the time.
It's neither men nor women, but individuals, who spend their time in the pursuit of technical skill or knowledge to better themselves.

I see no reason to (wo)mansplain the psychology of materialism.

Blaspheme

Yes, every hobby/interest has examples of people owning various things because of emotional consumption rather than a rational decision.
My beef is with "women have better prioritization". Nobody is 100% rational/emotional all the time.
It's neither men nor women, but individuals, who spend their time in the pursuit of technical skill or knowledge to better themselves.

I see no reason to (wo)mansplain the psychology of materialism.
Yes, but I reckon the mistake is thinking that rational is the other end of the spectrum from emotional. The opposite of emotional isn't rational, it's material: emotional versus rational is a false dilemma. It is entirely rational to account for emotional satisfaction with respect to use value, if emotional satisfaction is something you require (spoiler: you probably do).

We could put the lack of female participation in this hobby/topic down to it being a manifestation/displacement of normative male alexithymia.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I expect it's these kind of terms that put women off participating. Or at least the way it's often used to describe women as being other or different from 'us'.
And what terms put off 99% of men from participating to audio forums?

Bob-23

Those who'd like to have more female companon in their hobby might consider joining a Knitting Club, and those who enjoy self-flagellation are perfectly right subordinating to the hegemonic ideology*: as '(old) white men' they are garanteed the lowest possible position in the intersectional cast system. Enjoy!

EDIT: this - identitarian - ideology is not innocent and harmless. Europeans, in particular the older ones, still know what totalitarian theory and practice looks like. And we recognize it in that movement. The US should not repeat our faults.

Last edited:

Hotwetrat

I can't believe what an unbelievably shit video that was.

And I most definitely do not agree with it.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Stay on topic. If we start debating Race, Ethnicity, Gender and all that Triggering topic stuff, this thread will get closed.

Blaspheme

This you need to elaborate.
Missing the space in "a manifestation" certainly didn't help.

I was wondering—half in jest—whether the extreme forms of gear acquisition syndrome we see in audiophilia are displacement activities for dysfunction in emotional awareness, social attachment, and interpersonal relations (ie. alexithymia: I wanted to work in a Wilson Alexx joke, but couldn't pull it off gracefully). Not to tar subjectivists only, technical fetishism would be included.

Given the context of this thread I'll note that alexithymia and its association with traditionally masculine norms are consistent across genders.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Stay on topic. If we start debating Race, Ethnicity, Gender and all that Triggering topic stuff, this thread will get closed.
That’s the anti-cable believers plan, raise the rhetoric and keep the women out.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
That’s the anti-cable believers plan, raise the rhetoric and keep the women out.
Well that is certainly not what I meant nor does it reflect my opinion. Cast your accusations elsewhere.

Blaspheme

I can't believe what an unbelievably shit video that was.

And I most definitely do not agree with it.
At this point I realise I haven't finished watching the video (I did start but it was initially off-putting) so I've no idea what it is saying or whether I'd agree.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Unless I'm mistaken, the thread topic is about this stuff. Personally, I don't think ASR needs this unrelated-to-audio drama, but hey, I'm not the site owner.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gender equity has improved.

I went to one of the xIT's (for undergrad.) and there were exactly FOUR women in my freshman class. Zero in earlier classes.

Whether that means more gender balance on audio stuff forums is undetermined.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom