• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are single drivers disliked to such an extent by most in this forum?

SivKiv

I am aware that these have a few issues, from IMD, to limited SPL capability, and beaming at higher frequencies, but are they so poor at these aspects that single driver sets are basically a pointless design to consider? Or is there something else about them that makes them such an unattractive option measurement wise?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think this place quite likes the KEF LSX, Meta whatever the hell variants. It can be done, just not as well as KEF apparently... and at what cost.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
oh you mean one cone that does it all 20-20?

have you got a commercial example that you would consider to be decent?

OP
S

SivKiv

oh you mean one cone that does it all 20-20?

have you got a commercial example that you would consider to be decent?
I don't, which is why I'm trying to gather info on this topic. Single driver speakers always seem to have 2 sides, one side that swears by it, and another that detests it, with the former usually from those that rely more on personal auditory perception, while those in the latter relying on measurements much more. The contrast in belief in this configuration is what fascinates me, and due to my limited knowledge on this, I'm willing to explore more about it, although, I would only be able to explore through the accounts of others

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have actually studied sound engineering at university level and back then I remember the lecturer said such a driver does not exist that can do 20-20

that was over 20yrs ago but I doubt the technology has changed... be willing to see if such a driver exists, even if it does it fairly poorly

i assume no crossover would be needed?

OP
S

SivKiv

i have actually studied sound engineering at university level and back then I remember the lecturer said such a driver does not exist that can do 20-20

that was over 20yrs ago but I doubt the technology has changed... be willing to see if such a driver exists, even if it does it fairly poorly

i assume no crossover would be needed?
An actual 20-20k ±3dB would likely be impossible, as you said, although, it's possible that if one had a driver massive enough, it could come close, although I expect beaming to be incredibly apparent.

Also, yeah, I am curious too, it would be interesting to see one that could achieve such a range. One possible tech would be Balanced Mode Radiators, but I don't understand enough about how it functions to really praise nor consider it as an option yet.

And yes, I would expect that these wouldn't require a crossover, unlike coaxials, as it's just a single diaphragm attempting to produce the entire full range of sound. There's also single drivers with whizzers, but a few have mentioned that a whizzer technically has a mechanical crossover, so I do not think these are counted as a pure single driver(although, some single driver believers do consider these still as a "single driver" set)

OP
S

SivKiv

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't, which is why I'm trying to gather info on this topic. Single driver speakers always seem to have 2 sides, one side that swears by it, and another that detests it, with the former usually from those that rely more on personal auditory perception, while those in the latter relying on measurements much more. The contrast in belief in this configuration is what fascinates me, and due to my limited knowledge on this, I'm willing to explore more about it, although, I would only be able to explore through the accounts of others
I don't like them from a technical perspective or from the 'Just listen' perspective either. At best they are just about acceptable but for me it's a compromise too far.

Two advantages - an easy load for the amplifier and high sensitivity, so if you want to use a very low power amp that couldn't drive the skin off a rice pudding then single driver is the answer but why start with such an amplifier in the first place?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Ah, thanks for these links. Although, are you aware if there's a thread that explores squeezing as much range out of Balanced Mode Radiators?
It has come up before, probably in one of those. They have a wider dispersion than a similarly sized pistonic driver at high frequencies, but it is still somewhat variable with peaks and troughs in off axis response moving around as the frequency changes. These may be narrow enough not to matter so much in practice. Even so they are usually crossed over to a larger conventional driver for the bass.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir talks about this topic in his speaker measurement video...

I have linked to the part of the video where Amir talks about the reasons for using multiple drivers, but I highly recommend watching from the beginning :)

...and welcome to ASR!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like them from a technical perspective or from the 'Just listen' perspective either. At best they are just about acceptable but for me it's a compromise too far.

Two advantages - an easy load for the amplifier and high sensitivity, so if you want to use a very low power amp that couldn't drive the skin off a rice pudding then single driver is the answer but why start with such an amplifier in the first place?
Single driver are never the answer.. unless these are attached to your ears, in which cases there are several examples of good ear speakers aka headphones or IEM.. For any other applications, single driver solutions are an audiophile affectation. They can't work , physics has seen to that.

Peace.

Last edited:
OP
S

SivKiv

It has come up before, probably in one of those. They have a wider dispersion than a similarly sized pistonic driver at high frequencies, but it is still somewhat variable with peaks and troughs in off axis response moving around as the frequency changes. These may be narrow enough not to matter so much in practice. Even so they are usually crossed over to a larger conventional driver for the bass.
For the last point you made, it's usually because there's a lack of any real BMR that is designed to go that low right? Or is it an inherent limitation of a BMR's design?

notsodeadlizard

I am aware that these have a few issues, from IMD, to limited SPL capability, and beaming at higher frequencies, but are they so poor at these aspects that single driver sets are basically a pointless design to consider? Or is there something else about them that makes them such an unattractive option measurement wise?

"Single drive" is not a recognizable term at all.

There is the full range speakers class in which the cabinet's acoustic design plays a key role (mainly these are varieties of a transmission line or a horn).
There is coaxial speakers class in which "single drive" means something else because a coax drive is not "single" to be true. These might just be a "little box", yes.

The first class has its own fans, but it's more about very experienced DIY designers because of cabinet assembly complication, all those folded horns require a lot of effort: http://www.wodendesign.com/maeshowe.html (this is exactly what I did for myself and it's unforgettable).
Commercial production of such complicated in assembly cabinets is practically meaningless.
But driver manufacturers do not discontinue full-range drivers and even design new (Lowther, Markaudio, Fostex, SB Acoustics, Monacor, Tangband etc).

And then I have nothing to say, because I did not understand a goal of your question.
Are you about to design your speaker and don't know if it makes sense to go with full range design? If the question sounds like that, I will answer "yes, it makes sense".

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Single driver are never the answer.. unless these are attached to your ears, in which cases there are several examples of good ear speakers aka headphones or IEM.. For any other applications, single driver, solutions are an audiophile affectation. They can't work , physics has seen to that.
Well, there are full range electrostatic speakers like the Quads using a single driver ...

solderdude

Grand Contributor

EQ can correct some FR aspects but not the beaming part.
An example is the Bose 901. This uses 9 FR drivers (no whizzer cones) and relies on reflections mostly to obtain a somewhat flat-ish response (and using considerable EQ) but is room and placement dependent.

For loudspeakers they have inherent to the design difficulties. For headphones (excursions, beaming etc. and weight being smaller) this is not that much of an issue.
With speakers it has to be a compromise of surface area, max. amplitude and cone material/stiffness and break-up that are the challenges. There is not a single one that does it all admirably.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Single driver are never the answer.. unless these are attached to your ears, in which cases there are several examples of good ear speakers aka headphones or IEM.. For any other applications, single driver, solutions are an audiophile affectation. They can't work , physics has seen to that.

Peace.
not sure what you mean by 'can't work', maybe we should define our terms?

Will they be full range? No.
Will they be high fidelity? No.
Will they make an acceptable sound in the room? - yes it's possible

If washed up on a desert island with single driver speakers and a set of headphones I'd use the single driver speakers. Turn the headphones into a washing line. ;)

Top Bottom