• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are coaxials so rare?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for the hell of it, here the graphs captured from the video. Erin, sorry for butchering your face ;)
Woofer:
1636618483415.png

1636618537430.png

1636618554679.png

Tweeter:
1636618592399.png

1636618617886.png

1636618638035.png

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Someone have information about this Coaxial from Elac concerto? Looks very interesting. Sadly Elac only uses that coaxial in their high end product.

It's like the KEF coaxial but with a planar magnetic tweeter.
Concerto_detail_2-1500x1180.jpg

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because they're not "better" than a traditional design. Look at Amir's reviews of an Elac coaxial and then non coaxial on these pages.

it depend on the speaker distance. near field speaker i think need always coaxial. genelec do a great job of his coaxial design. but they are lots overpriced. I have a JBL 104 BT and this sound much better with less room reflection influence than others on deskstop(desktops are 1,2 meter width) because i have width of the speakers of 80 cm and sit 55 cm away. when you can do speaker width over 2 meter and sit 2 meter away from speaker i think then it doesnt matter if coaxial or not. also the small eris 3.5 or iloud mtm need at least hear distance of 70 cm.

when level is at 1 meter 70 db loud
at 2 meter it is only 63,8 db loud.
at 3 cm from speaker away it is 100 db.
at 30 cm from speaker away it is 80.4 db loud
at 50 cm from speaker away it is 76.02 db loud
at 42 cm from speaker away it is 77.54 db loud

from 2 m to 50 cm you need 13 db less level on speaker so room reflections are less and the neighbours hear your music
with 13 db less volume

Last edited:

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do measurement with 0,5 meter and 1 meter to show this more clear, that for a more real sound in rooms it es better with coaxial at short distance. My room is 17 qm and i have basstraps 60 cm in corner. with undamped rooms even more worse at 1 meter distance. It also help alot if use a subwoofer and place them very near. i measure with same volume so the level that the microphone reach is reduced and the T60 time is longer. when use same level on microphone you need make the speaker louder. but then the T60 time increase even more. the results at 1 meter i measure 3 times. with distance circle 1 meter. result is very simular.The T 60 time get much longer at 1 m distance
0.5 m distance.jpg
1 m distance.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Someone have information about this Coaxial from Elac concerto? Looks very interesting. Sadly Elac only uses that coaxial in their high end product.

It's like the KEF coaxial but with a planar magnetic tweeter.
Concerto_detail_2-1500x1180.jpg
This is possibly the ugliest man-made thing on Earth.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These two have nothing in common.
They do, although in a different degree, they don't have an ideally smooth directivity but one that reduces the sound power on the presence region.

TobyMoby

They do, although in a different degree, they don't have an ideally smooth directivity but one that reduces the sound power on the presence region.
No measurements show this. Sounds like you do not like east germans, or if you do not like Kiesler, maybe you have a problem with je.. people?

KR

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No measurements show this. Sounds like you do not like east germans, or if you do not like Kiesler, maybe you have a problem with je.. people?
Of course they do, just exemplary a couple

RL921K-Freifeld.png

RL-906-Freifeld.png

and really like the Geithains which I have recommended in several threads, for example in this, but still can see that they are not perfectly ideally smooth off-axis.

Sounds you are a bit blinded by your love for them or by your prejudices against other people?

TobyMoby

Directivity plots are totallity different, BW is no cardiod, no coax/triax, different distortions, active versus passive ... I just don't like people who ignore facts to support a personal agenda.

KR

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just don't like people who ignore facts to support a personal agenda.
Seen a mirror lately?

Nobody said B&W and Geithain are the same kind of speakers. The only thing that @thewas points out is the specific thing that they DO have in common.

And criticism of something does not equal hate… some people seem to find that distinction very hard nowadays for some reason.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And criticism of something does not equal hate… some people seem to find that distinction very hard nowadays for some reason.
Its sad how people jump easily to even call some racist and having an agenda just because he points out some valid facts about some... loudspeakers, I am not sure people would react like this even about their wives...

Directivity plots are totallity different
Both though not perfect and with some dip at the upper mids.
BW is no cardiod
Not that is matters, but also not every Geithain is.
active versus passive
Also not every Geithain is.
I just don't like people who ignore facts to support a personal agenda.
Who is the one that ignores facts? I said that they don't have textbook smooth directivity and provided proof from their own website.

TobyMoby

Let's make it short: You can't afford Geithains, that's why you bs-itting in so many places. Totally fine.

That you write Geithains are like BW is fantastic.

You do this in german forums too.

Just enjoy what little you own and try to be positive, you will longer stay healthy.

KR

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's make it short: You can't afford Geithains, that's why you bs-itting in so many places. Totally fine.
Let's make it short, you act childish like a hurt fanboy who cannot argue with facts and gets personal instead.
By the way I even own 2 pairs of loudspeakers from Kiesler, not that is matters though.

That you write Geithains are like BW is fantastic.
Which I didn't, like also other members wrote to you above, reading is one thing, understanding another.

Just enjoy what little you own and try to be positive, you will longer stay healthy.
Better care about your own health, I didn't start getting insulting and personal like you did.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I'll make this short. I really don't know what your deal is, but a little time off might be a good thing.

Top Bottom