• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Are Audiophiles so Bound and Determined to Make Others Waste Money

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

On Reddit, in a discussion with a certain user (who insisted that every time they upgraded their amp, their headphones became 'clearer'), I said something to the effect of "if your amp can drive your headphones to the volume you want with no distortion, then there's no reason to get a more powerful one".

Another user came along and complained that I couldn't just let people enjoy their purchases. Why exactly are these people so insistent on their right to lead people to spend loads of money on the back of no evidence at all? It drives me absolutely crazy.

Bullwinkle J Moose

"Why Are Audiophiles so Bound and Determined to Make Others Waste Money"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone needs a hobby!

OP
B

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

Perception is the mark of the soul.
You have perceived, so detach and let them play.

I just feel like I'd want to be informed if I were in the place of a random user reading the thread. And sometimes people respond positively or at least engage constructively, but sometimes it's just the ridiculous anger for people who won't align with their beliefs.

Loathecliff

I just feel like I'd want to be informed if I were in the place of a random user reading the thread. And sometimes people respond positively or at least engage constructively, but sometimes it's just the ridiculous anger for people who won't align with their beliefs.

I love it :cool: I've never seen that phrase before .

Magistrate:- "What is the offence constable?"
Constable:- "A flagrant failure to belief align when challenged Sir".

Is there anything more useless (and consuming) than belief?!
You either know, or you don't.

Tks

Major Contributor
Another user came along and complained that I couldn't just let people enjoy their purchases. Why exactly are these people so insistent on their right to lead people to spend loads of money on the back of no evidence at all? It drives me absolutely crazy.

Same reason you are insistent on trying to spare other people from the possibility of wasting their money on a product with evidence against the claims many would ascribe such product is capable of.

OP
B

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

Same reason you are insistent on trying to spare other people from the possibility of wasting their money on a product with evidence against the claims many would ascribe such product is capable of.

Thing is, I get the ones that think they're genuinely right and helping others. They usually debate the points and try to argue it does make a difference. One dude just went "why can't you let people enjoy their purchases". No counterpoint, just "let people make up whatever they want to feel better about their spending".

beeface

Thing is, I get the ones that think they're genuinely right and helping others. They usually debate the points and try to argue it does make a difference. One dude just went "why can't you let people enjoy their purchases". No counterpoint, just "let people make up whatever they want to feel better about their spending".

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously, it's because we have a deeply baked-in need to be tribal, and therefore loyalty and allegiance must be continuously demonstrated, both of which virtues are found to be unconvincing without sacrifice, be it inconvenience, financial awkwardness, or some other persuasive signifier.

Zensō

Major Contributor
On Reddit, in a discussion with a certain user (who insisted that every time they upgraded their amp, their headphones became 'clearer'), I said something to the effect of "if your amp can drive your headphones to the volume you want with no distortion, then there's no reason to get a more powerful one".

It sounds like you need to hang out here and ditch Reddit. Welcome to ASR.

Last edited:
OP
B

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

It sounds like to need to hang out here and ditch Reddit. Welcome to ASR.

Thanks. I've been lurking a bit recently, but this kind of thing finally pushed me to make an account. This place always seems to have way more discussion of things like "explanations" and "tests" and "evidence", and less about "just knowing".

WickedInsignia

Because the companies that work to ensure demand are stronger, richer, more outspoken and have more resources than anyone who would try to advise you otherwise. There are far more people converted by the market than there are people who actually understand it.

Some people are willing to learn, and others are not. We are here for the former. The latter is an unfortunate obstacle.

syn08

A much deeper question would be: why is this syndrome become worse as time passes? Golden Ears are known for a long time, some of them are genuine enthusiasts, some have a vested interest in propagating FUD and the associated technical BS. But lately, there’s a new breed, aggressive or passive-aggressive audiophiles, with zero technical knowledge, that obviously cannot afford the price tags of boutique audio, but insist preaching their nonsense (ex. metal can op amps sound so much better than plastic cased, which are even better than SMD) with a new type of resilience; when a voice of reason pops in, some are attacking at the jugular, but most are silent until the heretic abandons the hopeless attempt to bring rationality, then resume right away from where they left. Like toddlers covering their ears and going “blah, blah, blah” when they’re overwhelmed or overstimulated, more in a self-soothing attitude than in sheer defiance.

And the number of such characters increased over the years, although the high end audio industry is constantly shrinking since the 80s, to the point of almost vanishing

beeface

And the number of such characters increased over the years, although the high end audio industry is constantly shrinking since the 80s, to the point of almost vanishing

My purely anecdotal observation: although the traditional high end audio industry may be shrinking, it seems as though the headphones and computer audio industry is booming, particularly with younger people.

Among other factors, I think this can at least partially be attributed to gaming/streaming culture, which has thrown computer peripherals and adjacent gear into the spotlight.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Redditposting very much boils down to "I bought this thing I don't need / can't afford / is grotesquely overpriced / is completely wrong for my use case / made this terrible life choice, heap praise upon me." Addicts don't go there to have cold water thrown on them. If you think it's bad on the hifi audio side, check out any subs that deal with gaming computer parts, or, god forbid, personal fitness.

oursmagenta

Forum Donor

I maybe wrong, but I'd guess that most people on ASR, are in some sense science/logic oriented people. I'd assume that we have a lot of engineers, phds etc... and all sort of people that even without this kind of technical background at least share the same inner brain ticking.

So, if I had to summarize in a very crude way, most people here want to know why things are the way they are. Understand how actually things works to be able to improve them, or just for the sake of curiosity.

I mean in how many audio forums (diy community aside maybe) you have an audience for a post where a guy throws a finite element simulation of a tweeter, to quantify the effect of the screws around the waveguide on the sound field?

Of course, collecting, buying expensive goods, in quantity or not, the thrill of sheer shopping etc.. is also a part of what we seek. But maybe to a much smaller extent because the part described upward dominate our behavior.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor

Those would be either shills (unlikely) or people who want their purchases validated in finding others to share in their experience.

Last edited:

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What ever is the reason the adviser is not the on that spend the money.
All what need a wired headphone is an analog output equiped with a disrete amplifier.
Reading of the service manual by an EE is needed.

Or why not asking Amir to test the wired headphone output?
It would be very useful.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Another user came along and complained that I couldn't just let people enjoy their purchases. Why exactly are these people so insistent on their right to lead people to spend loads of money on the back of no evidence at all?
It's actually about them IMO from a psychological perspective... the more people that buy the things they have the less they feel they've wasted their money and the more they feel justified in their purchase.

The others that make such comments own businesses that peddle in these wares so promote that attitude as it makes them and their mates plenty of cashola.

JSmith

Top Bottom