• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why a large difference in volume settings for the same volume level?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
These are the results I'm seeing -

setup A - Yamaha AVR RX-V675, 90dB efficient speakers
setup B - Denon AVR X2200w, 95dB efficient speakers

Ran the autocal routine for both to let AVR calibrate speakers.

With A, I watched movies at -20dB. With B, Audyssey Dynamic Volume and DEQ off, I need to watch almost at -5dB to get the same loudness, tested with SPL meter. I have never listened near reference, it was simply too loud, and I don't understand why it needs to be turned up so much now, esp with speakers that are much more efficient.

I know the standard answer is 'ignore the volume reading' but this does not add up.
________

I did not have any EQ to speak of with Yamaha, I had run its YPAO but the differences in enabling it were minimal, I only used it to set the speaker distances/levels, which I checked with SPL meter also, and ran with it off.

With all EQ off on both, I have to turn the Denon volume up a lot more.
________

The Speakers are 5dB different in sensitivity. I got that, but why the two AV receivers so far apart with their volume settings for the same volume level?
One set @ minus 20db, and the other set @ minus 5dB (a difference of 15dB on their level settings). If the difference would be around 5dB, to take consideration of the two different sensitivities of the speakers, that would be more understandable, but 15dB difference?

Any idea, anyone, scientific audio expert, or not? :)

Last edited:

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think typically those db ratings are not perfect and their max level (0db) is per their specific output power level in watts.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Ok, I got that. But movies are serious business, and the THX Master Reference Level is the guide for all movie sound mixers, so what to do with it @ home with our receivers and pre/pros?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Yes, all the speaker's levels (channel trims) equally balanced to produce the same volume @ the MLP.

What I posted is from a fellow @ another forum, and when googling around for the difference in the master volume control between different receivers, or pre/pros, I ended up empty. So I decided to post it here. I told the fellow to use the same speakers with both receivers, because the sensitivity given by most speaker's manufacturers can vary by few dBs, and their impedance too will affect the master volume control @ where it is set for a given power response.

Still, I'm usually pretty good @ googling the key words, and this time, after over an hour of searching, on empty, I decided to post his question right here in the Audio Science Review forum.

If he does what I suggested to him, I will report the new findings. I will give the link that started his question. But for now there are two many variables that he has to eliminate first. If we do a test on two receivers on where their master volume control are set for the same volume level @ the MLP, the speakers have to be the same all around, all channels equally balanced, and the same movie playing with the same passages.
And of course both receivers set with their absolute, or relative volume level setup. ...Eg.; 0.5 dB to 99.5 dB, or minus infinity (-81.5 dB) to plus 18.0 dB.
I prefer the later, relative. And that's what the OP is using. * The absolute value 82 is equivalent to the relative value 0 dB.

And not all receivers were created equal. In true scientific facts they are all different. ...Just like humans. :)
Even two same model number receivers from the same manufacturers would have slight variations in their exact measurements; variations of 0.oo11 dB here and 0.0015% THD there. ...Etc. And total power with all channels running simultaneously (say five or seven or nine) will vary also from one receiver to another.
And that, will also account for the difference in their master volume control settings when producing the same volume level @ the MLP.

♦ Oh what the heck: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l-audyssey-thread-part-ii-3.html#post42730434

Top Bottom