• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why 12 power transistors in a class AB (?)120 W (?) amplifier?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sarumbear. You can be my teacher. Replace the old electrolytes or not? :)
Manufacturers of electrolytic capacitors specify the design lifetime at the maximum rated temperature. This can can vary from as little as 1,000 hours to 10,000 hours or more, depending on the quality of the units. Hence, any old electrolytic capacitor should be the first candidate for replacement on a device older than 15-20 years. Especially if they are not quality brands or they operate in a high heath environment or next to high heat generating unit(s).

Raindog123

Major Contributor

“Who says A must say B” :) (Have you tried a message delete option?)

…as for who should or should not express their opinion, the issue is that our learning process, or knowledge level is gradual. Often, we know some but do not know all, and there is always someone who knows more. Without a clear threshold.

And it’s ok to have a layered, spiral dialog - ideally, with a bit of self-control and self-criticism. In my book, what is not okay is intolerance - “I know it all, and you, noob, go sit in the corner!” :)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
“Who says A must say B” :) (Have you tried a message delete option?)

…as for who should or should not express their opinion, the issue is that our learning process, or knowledge:D level is gradual. Often, we know some but do not know all, and there is always someone who knows more. Without a clear threshold.

And it’s ok to have a layered, spiral dialog - ideally, with a bit of self-control and self-criticism. In my book, what is not okay is intolerance - “I know it all, and you, noob, go sit in the corner!” :)
B

self-control and self-criticism.
I've heard of that. I'm going to investigate what it is.:p

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Aha, but replacing those electrolytes shouldn't be that difficult (I say cocky now).They are easily accessible in any case.:)

What do you think exactly, the same V and uF or?

Anything else to think about? ESR value?

The more hours the new ones will last the more expensive electrolytes? Then it's just for me to make a trade-off then. I suspect.

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_184003 (1).jpg
    IMG_20211026_184003 (1).jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20211026_184009 (1).jpg
    IMG_20211026_184009 (1).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 64

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha, but replacing those electrolytes shouldn't be that difficult (I say cocky now).They are easily accessible in any case.:)

What do you think exactly, the same V and uF or?

Anything else to think about? ESR value?

The more hours the new ones will last the more expensive electrolytes? Then it's just for me to make a trade-off then. I suspect.
Expensive brand, larger voltage and/or capacitance wouldn't hurt if you can fit in to the available space.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Show me where i was wrong. I think thats the normal reaction.
If you follow the thread you will see that I was not commenting on your post.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

I mean you had my post in? No problemo, but if someone has my post in i think its a reaction to my post,
But i read again.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean you had my post in? No problemo, but if someone has my post in i think its a reaction to my post,
I don't understand what you mean by "my post in" but my comment was not aimed to your post. Your profile name did not show on the post that I commented on.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Maybe it was me. Acknowledging that on my part that I have been a bit fluttery and maybe for OT, but if I have questioned the shared knowledge I received from someone more knowledgeable, then it is not my intention to do so. Then it went wrong and I apologize for that.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why twelve transistors?

Why only twelve?

16020d1335552332-innmat-hva-du-vil-krell_pic6b.jpg

Part of an old Krell "Master Reference Amplifier"

16021d1335552332-innmat-hva-du-vil-h_mra_explosion.jpg
How much did that weigh and how much power did it produce?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
larger voltage and/or capacitance wouldn't hurt if you can fit in to the available space.
But be careful with the main smoothing caps because if you increase the capacitance too much the bridge will possibly be damaged. If you are increasing any capacitor values run the changes by us before doing it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But be careful with the main smoothing caps because if you increase the capacitance too much the bridge will possibly be damaged. If you are increasing any capacitor values run the changes by us before doing it.
Really? Why?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well, I do not want to load too much so other things take a beating, go south, because of it. Rectifier bridge, damage. Got it. :)

Also, it should be pretty pointless to put in too big electrolytes if the transformer does not have enough power to pump juice into them, or? Maybe even the transformer can be damaged if too large electrolytes are mounted in amplifier?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is just wrong. You can neither damage the rectifier, nor the transformer by increasing the capacitance.

Top Bottom