• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why 1 and not 3 separate DAC (but wich ones) ?

Moxalain

Hello

I have 3 sources (DVD/CD - TV - PC) and I would like each to have its own DAC (which will be out of sight).
I'm going to sell my HifiRose 250 whose ergonomics I don't like. It will be easier to use my integrated amp to select sources.
My DVD/CD has a coaxial and optical output (analog too but not excellent).
My PC (with very good linear power supply) has a USB output. (I use it for radio, tidal, my audio files ...)
My TV has an Optical output.

My total budget will be the sale of my HifiRose, between 1500 and 2000 $

So I'm looking for:
A DAC that has a very good conversion optical -> RCA
A DAC that has a very good conversion coax -> RCA
A DAC that has a very good conversion USB -> RCA (I prefer amanero than xmos, but my experience is old, maybe xmos has made a lot of progress).

It can be 3 same or different DAC.

Can you help me ?
Thanks a lot

PS. I have Martin Logan Sequel2 and Amplifier integrated Coda Csi Ltd

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hi, welcome to ASR. :)
So I'm looking for:
A DAC that has a very good conversion optical -> RCA
A DAC that has a very good conversion coax -> RCA
A DAC that has a very good conversion USB -> RCA (I prefer amanero than xmos, but my experience is old, maybe xmos has made a lot of progress).
You can get a DAC with all 3 input types, sometimes more... so no need for 3 DAC's. Many have RCA & XLR outputs, others have RCA only.

Please see the detailed ASR review index and search for DAC's. You can sort by SINAD, price, date of review etc.;
Some DAC's have a DPLL level adjustment setting which can assist with any optical dropouts. Your concern about XMOS is rather unfounded IMO.

JSmith

TSB

Why a separate DAC for each? What's the advantage?

OP
M

Moxalain

Thanks so much

I prefer to use my amplifier and not see the DACs.
3 topping E30II or better (for example) hidden behind the amp would be enough for me.
Some like to see all the material, "more is the better". It's not my case. I like minimalism.
I could have 1 DAC with 3 inputs and only use one input from my amp, but two remotes would be needed. It's one too many !
And not a infrared remote if I don't want to see the DAC!

But if there is a very good DAC in USB AND optical AND coax AND with a non-infrared remote AND volume control... I'll take it!!!
I would turn my amp up to max volume and use a single input. ;)
Does this DAC exist ?

I quote :
Please see the detailed ASR review index and search for DAC's ...
I didn't find it with all this parameters ,

Your concern about XMOS is rather unfounded
Cool !

Regards

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's one too many !
Why not just get a universal "learning" IR remote control? Then you can forget about separate remotes for both devices. :)
I would turn my amp up to max volume and use a single input.
Sure, just always turn on the DAC first if using as a pre-amp, ensuring volume not at max. It might be better to just use the volume on the integrated though.
And not a infrared remote if I don't want to see the DAC!
Just get an IR extender.

Also, I think your amp has XLR (one) input plus a number of RCA inputs... why not use XLR?
I didn't find it with all this parameters
Something like this should do the job if XLR needed;
No XLR;

JSmith

OP
M

Moxalain

You are right. My idea is not good. I'll buy a SMSL D400
Thank you for your help

Trell

Major Contributor
But if there is a very good DAC in USB AND optical AND coax AND with a non-infrared remote AND volume control... I'll take it!!!
I would turn my amp up to max volume and use a single input. ;)
Does this DAC exist ?
Non-infrared remote? Nope.

You’ll have to use some third party remote with a device that accepts RF and sends out infrared.

Top Bottom