• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who's on Lock Down or Working from Home because of you know what?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess i'm lucky to have a souped up laptop running xubuntu for work and not having to use our vpn for really anything day to day (as long as I can get to github and GCS I'm ok).

Maybe if the working from home thing goes on long enough your IT group will have to provide a better means of doing so.
If I have to work from home I take the workstation home and use VPN just for synchronization of folders once in while. For this I have to share the ws disk via samba to the notebook with the open VPN.

mansr

Major Contributor
It's a fine sunny day, so I went out for a short walk. The streets and parks were nearly deserted. Restaurants are open for take-away only. Many shops are closed, but some are open. Among the open ones I noticed, ironically, a travel agent.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WFH is impossible for me but I don’t expect many people will be getting LASIK or cataract surgery during this time.
Self isolating from my mom and mother in law and as far as the stores here, I can order online for curbside pickup so I have plenty of food and needed supplies.
Also enough UV-C lights to disinfect a small hospital. :oops:

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
WFH is impossible for me but I don’t expect many people will be getting LASIK or cataract surgery during this time.
Self isolating from my mom and mother in law and as far as the stores here, I can order online for curbside pickup so I have plenty of food and needed supplies.
Also enough UV-C lights to disinfect a small hospital. :oops:

Good Luck. BTW are those same LASERs used for Diabetic Retinopathy?

ta240

Major Contributor
I wish we could work from home. We are an 'essential' business but it has slowed enough that they are in the process of letting half of us go. They aren't doing it the nice way with technically keeping us employed but cutting all hours so we can get unemployment. They are outright terminating so even if they bring us back when/if this ends it would be starting all over on things like vacation time and we will have to cover whatever insurance we have through the company out of pocket while 'off'.

Last edited:

exRanger

I have been working @ home (for a university in The States) since 2014, most of that period while living in France, where I DO happen to be living in state-enforced House Arrest, 14 days today. Ugh.

mansr

Major Contributor
I went out hunting for toilet paper since I was actually starting to run low. Someone in Sainsbury's Local said they hadn't had any delivered since last week. Another two shops nearby were also sold out. There was a rumour of some store selling single rolls at rip-off prices, but I didn't check it out. Finally found some in ASDA. The horror. They had half a dozen guards at the entrance which also featured fenced lanes. Thankfully the place was almost empty, so I can only picture with dread what scenes of chaos must be playing out there at other times.

Bear123

I work in health care in direct patient contact. No working from home for me. However, job security. Things are slow right now. Calm before the storm.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I went out hunting for toilet paper

1585442233632.png

No, wait...

UK version:

1585442374451.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Our production is still running but not for much longer due to running out of stock. All those consultants who told that you can spare money by reducing storage space - where are they now?

We are close to the border with a part of the work force coming from the other side. To prevent cross infection they work in two shifts now: one shift for people across the border and one shift for local workers. At the end of each shift the work place gets desinfected by FM.

mansr

Major Contributor
I got a (work related) UPS delivery today. The guy said they were down 16 drivers in this area. I don't know how many they are in total, but I don't think they number in the hundreds.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CDC considering mandatory mask wearing in public.

Where’s that quote about wearing one once the medical profession aren’t in short supply?

mansr

Major Contributor
That's a stupid idea, IMO. There's already a shortage of masks. Mandating them would mean that most people would be prevented from leaving their house at all, even to buy food, while those who really need them (healthcare workers) would have an even harder time getting as many as they need.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor

Where’s that quote about wearing one once the medical profession aren’t in short supply?

As if those aren't all hoarded.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom