• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who's on Lock Down or Working from Home because of you know what?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you define lock down? To what extent are you locked down?

Most of these "lockdowns" are toothless. I mean, what's the use of a "shelter in place" order that has an exception for jogging?

Our "governor" issued such a "lockdown" order yesterday, starting tomorrow. He allegedly just learned yesterday that asymptomatic individuals can spread the virus.

For the record:

"It was not clear whether an asymptomatic person could transmit it to someone while they were asymptomatic. Now we know from a recent report from Germany that that is absolutely the case."
- Coronavirus Task Force briefing, January 31, 2020.
Note that is January 31, not March 31.

and of course

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 12.31.08 PM.png

Note this is about competence and honesty, not ideology. Gov. Mike DeWine of Ohio is Kemp's ideological fellow traveler, but his reaction to the crisis has been fact-driven, like Gov. Inslee's or Gov. Cuomo's. It is unfortunate that Gov. DeWine stands out as such an exceptional figure in his party today. Most of them seem to range from incompetent to straight up insider traitor.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Most of these "lockdowns" are toothless. I mean, what's the use of a "shelter in place" order that has an exception for jogging?
It is extremely unlikely for the infection to spread from one person to another at a distance outdoors. Compare the situation to a smoker walking down the street. Annoying up close, but rapidly diminishing effect as distance increases.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is extremely unlikely for the infection to spread from one person to another at a distance outdoors.

Most sidewalks don’t allow for adequate social distancing of people going opposite directions, and people working out hard shed droplets omnidirectionally with every movement.

Any “stand in place” order riddled with loopholes and lacking actual sanction is toothless. Just a friendly suggestion.

mansr

Major Contributor
Most sidewalks don’t allow for adequate social distancing of people going opposite directions, and people working out hard shed droplets omnidirectionally with every movement.
You're still very unlikely to catch something from a person you meet briefly on the street compared to being in a crowded bar or even standing at a bus stop. To halt the epidemic, it is not necessary to prevent spread entirely, only to slow it down enough that contact tracing and other countermeasures can keep up. Herd immunity works without 100% of individuals being immune. This is similar, just using a different mechanism to prevent infection.

If you're in a high-risk group or otherwise personally worried, you are free to stay inside.

Any “stand in place” order riddled with loopholes and lacking actual sanction is toothless. Just a friendly suggestion.
Seems to be working well here. There's hardly anybody out and about despite lack of enforcement.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to be working well here. There's hardly anybody out and about despite lack of enforcement.

Unfortunately Brits have more common courtesy than Americans generally. I remember when we were visiting family in Streatham last spring we took our then 4 year-old daughter to a playground. The playground has a trampoline. The little kids literally lined up to use it, jumped a couple times, and jumped off to give the next kid a turn. In the US it’s more like entitled barbarians park their monster trucks/SUVs in hybrid/electric and compact car spaces in parking decks without a hint of decency. And that’s in the cities!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't find it unfortunate at all.

I also didn't find it to be true. Admittedly, I've only been to the UK a couple dozen times, but the nicest, politest, friendliest, and most helpful people I've ever encountered were in places like Texas and Montana. When we lived in TX for a couple of years, my wife used to always say, "There's nice and there's Texas nice."

That said, I never had a bad experience in the UK. Delightful place, and by and large delightful people. Even in London!:D

BostonJack

Editor
Well, I'm in Massachusetts and in my apartment with the exception of occasional walks and *very* occasional trips to grocery store. NYtimes did a map of who is traveling what distances over the U.S. and the coasts and upper midwest are substantially shut down.

Most of my neighbors are doing the same, based on observation of the street and amount of traffic on highway on grocery run (very low traffic).

This is going to help. I'm lucky to be working from home with a legitimate large amount of engineering work to do.

mansr

Major Contributor
The Sainsbury's Local around the corner is fully stocked with toilet paper. Does that mean we can end the lockdown now?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was in a local grocer today. Last week, there were no eggs. This week plenty. But the dry cereal section was decimated, ditto spaghetti sauces. There were empty shelves in nearly every aisle, but plenty of full ones as well (including toilet paper). I forgot to look for flour, apparently there was a run on that, no idea if it's back.

As my wife likes to say, "Has everyone lost their damn minds?"

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I went to the grocery store this AM. They didn't have the bread I usually get but they had plenty more. Butcher and deli were serving. Oddly, the shredded cheese section was wiped out, they have plenty of other cheese though. I didn't think to check the pasta / sauce aisle, it had been wiped out 2 weeks ago. I'd say 90% stock, not counting the shut down made-to-order parts.

Don Hills

Stupid is as stupid does... we have fairly strict self-isolation and "stay in your neighbourhood and don't do anything that might cause anemergency services callout" rules. But our Minister of Health has been in the news, first for driving his family 20 km to a beach for a walk, then driving to a local mountain bike trail and going for a ride. He received a public bollocking from the Prime Minister and has been relieved of a shadow portfolio and demoted in the Cabinet rankings. The only reason he hasn't been sacked is because of the disruption it would cause at this time.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Among the best diversions during this period are all the concert replays that bands are streaming for free. Here's one guide to scheduled events here in the States:

https://www.jambase.com/livestreams

Metallica Monday is currently annoying my neighbors on the Upper West Side!

Top Bottom