• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who remembers the toy Lite-Brite?

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MediumRare your Dad didn't by any chance make the Mr. Machine toy did he? I see Marvin Glass made those. I had one and it was one of my most favorite toys. It isn't likely on any one's top 100 list, but it made me happy as a kid. What I liked was it came un-assembled with these plastic wrenches. So you got to put it all together. I don't think it was the intent, but I took it apart and put it together lots of times.

View attachment 83046
Wonderful. I'll ask him. If you look on Wikipedia for "Joseph M. Burck" a handful of his greatest hits have articles.

Vote early and often(once per day), everyone! :) https://www.toyhalloffame.org/players-choice-ballot Go Lite-Brite!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonderful. I'll ask him. If you look on Wikipedia for "Joseph M. Burck" a handful of his greatest hits have articles.

Vote early and often(once per day), everyone! :)https://www.toyhalloffame.org/players-choice-ballot Go Lite-Brite!
Looks like Marvin Glass did Mr. Machine himself. Unless he took credit from someone else.

I see your Dad did the Evil Knieval toys. I had a cousin which had most of those.

I remember the Masterpiece game which he apparently did. I see he also made the Inch Worm which I remember some cousins having.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Marvin Glass did Mr. Machine himself. Unless he took credit from someone else.

I see your Dad did the Evil Knieval toys. I had a cousin which had most of those.

I remember the Masterpiece game which he apparently did. I see he also made the Inch Worm which I remember some cousins having.
I can’t say where Mr. Machine came from. There may have been an initial idea from somewhere then a lot of evolution by Marvin himself.

My brother and I loved the Evel Knievel motorcycles, and before that were SSP Racers and Smash Up Derby!

My brother tested the prototype inchworm when he was 3 or 4. That was really terrific.

cistercian

Forum Donor
To OP...We never had one, but some friends did. I enjoyed theirs very much! Say thank you to your dad for me.
Prayers sent for him and you both.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Smash Up Derby was one of my favorites, along with the Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle!

Smash up Derby was awesome!

Didn't have Lite Bright here in Australia, but I voted for it anyway. Where's GI Joe on the list?

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Smash up Derby was awesome!

Didn't have Lite Bright here in Australia, but I voted for it anyway. Where's GI Joe on the list?
It might already be in? Otherwise, might be politically sensitive. My brother and I both had GI Joes, as did my best friend. He had an original with no joints. All of them met untimely deaths due to IEDs (firecrackers). My grandfather was upset we were, as he put it, 'playing with dolls'! :p:facepalm:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My grandfather was upset we were, as he put it, 'playing with dolls'

My younger sister had a large collection of Sindy dolls (English Pedigree brand) and my GI Joe enjoyed their company immensly.

SIndy:
1600345990729.png

That was, until the Six Million Dollar Man (Steve Austin) came around circa 1977 and there was plenty of "fights" for the ladies' attention. Ultimately, GI Joe's arms and head came off (it was an internal rubber link) and the girls lost interest and moved on with the Bionic Man.

GI Joe did have the most awesome "Kung Fu Grip" rubber fingers that gripped his various weapons. (A few fingers broke off if I remember correctly)

Last edited:
OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SIndy:
View attachment 83352
Ultimately, GI Joe's arms and head came off (it was an internal rubber link) and the girls lost interest and moved on with the Bionic Man.
)
ROFL your Joe had a way better night life than ours did!

Ours had the same quadriplegic issue with the rubber band. I recall fixing mine a few time, devilishly tricky. Eventually he met the firecrackers I’m afraid.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did he win?
I received a notification of a deal for Lite Brite on Amazon today and made me look it up here.
Hi, thanks for asking - no, Jenga won this time. Tough competition out there! But it was a honor to be a Finalist, for sure.

Top Bottom