• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who owns the Beatles songs????

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
http://www.realclearlife.com/music/beatles-catalog-ownership/

I knew about most of what is in the article except that over time Sony ended up with 100% ownership. I also thought at one time UK law was the original songwriter could sell at most 50% of his rights, but apparently that is incorrect.

So I am not sure what I think about this situation.

Interesting to see what you fine gentlemen think of it.

Who should own the Beatles music and who should profit (if anyone) and for how long? I would be very interested your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
http://www.realclearlife.com/music/beatles-catalog-ownership/

I knew about most of what is in the article except that over time Sony ended up with 100% ownership. I also thought at one time UK law was the original songwriter could sell at most 50% of his rights, but apparently that is incorrect.

So I am not sure what I think about this situation.

Interesting to see what you fine gentlemen think of it.

Who should own the Beatles music and who should profit (if anyone) and for how long? I would be very interested your thoughts and opinions on the matter.
IMO Everyone involved has made more than enough money off those recordings. They should be released to the public for free under the GPL license. ;)
And that goes to the huge catalogs of music the labels have of music that's been around forever. Like a patent, after X many years ownership should run out.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Why, I own all the Beatles Songs I have.

(at least it seems like it)

Top Bottom