• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who makes the most solid bookshelf enclosure?

syzygetic

I have to put a vote in for Genelec 8030C. I replaced a pair of perfectly good-sounding ELAC DBR62s with a pair of 8030Cs, and it's no contest. The 8030Cs, if they were louder and given a subwoofer, might even give my Meridian 5200.2s a run for their money.

On the matter of solid enclosures, the Genelec 8030C is aluminum. It's utterly dead.

The Meridians are too, some of them even have aluminum plate sandwiched between the MDF cabinet layers.

retro

Whatabout Cast Iron Loudspeakers from Denmark..should be solid enough..:)

graa_tripod_resamp.png

RoyB

Forum Donor
There are much better "Dead" materials than most any metal (Except Lead, Gold and Uramium) ......Concrete? Granite?

Larry B. Larabee

I thought the Mods would have to start working some overtime in order to not have everyone scared away.
Amazingly there are replies to the topic and they appear to be serious. And they keep on coming?
Whoa.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are much better "Dead" materials than most any metal (Except Lead, Gold and Uramium) ......Concrete? Granite?
Granite rings quite a bit. If you have a piece, stand it on end and give a little rap. Or make one of these!

Keened

Forum Donor
There are Granite speakers, not sure how they sound.

Cabinet resonance seems like one of those problems that is *mostly* solved. You could go to extremes to eliminate it, or you could just move slightly further away from the speaker and use DSP to drop the output at the resonance frequencies. From what I understand, sufficient interior bracing, modest mass dampening, and tuning so the worst resonance isn't within the normal range (i.e. if your speaker is rated 60-20K+ shoot for a resonance at ~40hz) gets you 99% of the way there. It was something from the big box speakers of the 70s-80s where this was a problem and it was pretty much solved by the mid 90s.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is what noaudiophile had to say about the B2031A's enclosure:

Prepare for more insanity. MDF quality is very nice dense stuff, not the usual chinesium crap. The front baffle is a complicated heavily machined piece which is 1/2 inch behind the tweeter, and 1 1/8" behind the woofer which is precision flush mounted to the surface. The center brace is a solid 3/4 inch piece and all of the cabinet walls are covered in a thick carpet padding type material. This is a better box than the Infinity Primus, which was over built massively for the price point. I would say that only the B&W 686S2 beats the Behringer Truth's in cabinet construction quality of reviewed speakers.

I only have one nitpick there.. I think this maybe gives the impression that the tweeter mounts to wood and is solid. its not, the tweeter is only mounted to the thin plastic waveguide/ woofer cover. The whole tweeter apparatus vibrates a lot with the woofers movement.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF LS50 Metas...... In the hundreds of speakers I've handled over the years, I've never seen any as nonresonant as the Metas. They seem like a solid block of unobtainium.
Agree and it's the same for the original LS50 (own both) and can be seen also by the superb Stereophile enclosure resonance measurements of both. Also they prove once again that not exotic or expensive materials are important but intelligent engineering, in this case FEM optimised damped internal bracing.

mightycicadalord

This is what noaudiophile had to say about the B2031A's enclosure:

Prepare for more insanity. MDF quality is very nice dense stuff, not the usual chinesium crap. The front baffle is a complicated heavily machined piece which is 1/2 inch behind the tweeter, and 1 1/8" behind the woofer which is precision flush mounted to the surface. The center brace is a solid 3/4 inch piece and all of the cabinet walls are covered in a thick carpet padding type material. This is a better box than the Infinity Primus, which was over built massively for the price point. I would say that only the B&W 686S2 beats the Behringer Truth's in cabinet construction quality of reviewed speakers.

It's not all rainbows, the tweeter just sits on the waveguide which is pretty thin plastic. The whole tweeter vibrates with the woofer.

jonfitch

I guess if you believe Ascend Acoustics claims then their 3/4" bamboo enclosures are as good as something like 3" thick mdf.

Tremolo

Not in the business anymore but Paragon Acoustics made the Jubilee bookshelf. Solid mdf for the tweeter housing and one inch hdf panels damped with lead plates for the woofer box. 46lbs each.

Pattern

KEF LS50 Meta?

That cabinet is like a brick.
Vanilla LS50s here. If I didn't know any better I would think it was a solid homogeneous block. The knuckle rap test on them is unbelievable.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LS 50, either OG or Meta. Nice to own a speaker that could under certain circumstances be characterized as a "blunt object" on a police report.

raindance

Major Contributor
Ascend cabinets are very solidly built. Polk Lsi-m703 cabinets feel solid also. Aurum Cantus cabinets are very nicely made.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Mark & Daniel uses CAM (Compound Artificial Marble) for their enclosures. Solid. Heavy.

test1223

Avalon uses a lot of wood for it's speakers. Avalon Tesseract with 827lbs or 375kg per piece. Not book shelf though.

There was a company which uses missile like steel enclosures which are very heavy. I can't remember the name.

As others already pointed out: heavy isn't necessarily better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom